Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 AM

I am loving reading y'alls taboos! Isn't it funny how many time I think "oh good one, I should give that up too!!!"
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Finally!

I have finally gotten some before and after pictures to show yall. The before pic was yaken about 18 months ago (I am the one on the left) and the after pictures were taken yesterday.

I weighed 550+ pounds when I started and this morning I weighed 352.2. Woohoo!

Missy
Attached Thumbnails kristy-missy.jpg   20120117_1.jpg   20120117_2.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Missy! You Go Girl! You look great!

My blood sugars are fantastic on WW, this morning was 113. Wow! My doc is going to be so happy!
I have my first weigh in tomorrow night at 6p so I will post afterwards.

My breakfast favorite is tortillas and eggs. Spray corn tortillas and toast in skillet, place on plate. Scramble one egg. Divide on top of tortillas. Spread 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of salsa, fold and enjoy. Only 8 points but very, very satisfying.

I'm now making the adjustment to 2% milk, slowly. I really love whole milk but I know I should reduce my fat consumption. I drink hot cocoa every morning, 1 T cocoa, 2 sweetnlow, 1 cup milk, microwaved, 3 points. Mix the cocoa with 1/4 water and microwave before stirring in the milk and sweetener and nuking again.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 AM

Dodie, there is no ice cream to take off my hands. You have no idea how quickly a 1.5 or 1.75 quart container of ice cream can disappear here and the dogs don't eat sugar. I do have a sugarfree choc chip mint I picked up by accident at Christmas than can go into the disposer. I don't do sugarfree.

Jeanne, try 2% milk and cinnamon in your coffee. The plus is that cinnamon is good for blood sugar control. I went to 2% milk years ago - now I'm using 1%. It's all my son will drink and there's no sense buying two. I can't handle the color of fat free so that's not an option. I did buy 2% at Christmas to cook with. Even 2% is 38% fat so that's high enough for me.

We have another winter storm coming and I have to travel 150 miles (300 - I need to come home, too) in it to go to a funeral tomorrow. Ice will ground me, but snow usually won't. My SIL's sister died suddenly the day after he was here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. She wasn't even 50. So sad. We never plan to bury our children.

Question - is the mid weight rolled batting from JoAnn's too thick for a prayer quilt? I have a roll I'd like to use up and it's the right width. It isn't heavy, just a little thick.

My weight is still up. Does anyone else have more trouble in the winter? I think there is a physical reason for it, but I refuse to let this happen.

Quote form a men's health website: "Some doctors believe that we’re genetically programmed to gain weight when it gets chilly. "Your body may be working against you to hang on to it so you stay warm,” said Lawrence Cheskin, MD, founder of the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center in Baltimore, in an interview with Prevention magazine.

Fat is a great insulator and it really does a great job of keeping you warm. Before the days of forced air heating and good insulation, a few extra pounds could mean the difference between life and death. For most of us, however, freezing to death isn’t really a problem."
The cure according to this article was more exercise, especially leg ones, more sleep and more sunshine. Okay, I can do that.

So for today, I will add some large muscle exercises. The simplest is wall slides. Lord knows, I know how to do those. My PT after my foot rebuilding had me do 15 a day - I accused him of trying to kill me. I'm guessing they won't be easy but I'll let you know.

I am gaining control of my weight and getting healthier.
Judy
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM

For some reason I lose weight better in the winter. Maybe the longer days in the summer mean more time to eat? That's always been the case for me though.

My taboo this week will be to stay off the whites- flour especially. I have been really trying to do the whole grains. My Dr. was worried about my blood sugar levels & I have to be retested the beginning of March, so I hope to lower them by then. I don't eat a huge amount of breads, but the white taboo made me a lot more aware of what I do eat. I was going to make linguini with clam sauce tonight so will have to get some whole grain pasta. I had it before years ago & didn't like it so hopefully it has improved since then!

I switched to 1% milk here several years ago & no one at my house even noticed! I am with you, Judy about the color of the fat free- no can do.

I did 2 miles on the treadmill on Mon & felt good about that. I ended up at the Dr. yesterday with bronchitis & a sinus infection so I thought I'd wait till tomorrow to walk any more. She gave me a breathing treatment (never have done that before), put me on antibiotics & an inhaler. I feel a lot better today- more energy, less coughing & breathing better.

Sounds like WW is really agreeing with you MJ. When I saw that you were only eating 1200 calories a day I thought that was low. I had success with WW. I just think I should know enough by now to do it on my own...easier said than done. And as for the support, I think this thread fits the bill for that one. I really enjoy seeing what others are doing & getting tips from everyone.

Wow Missy, what a difference! Keep up all of the hard work- you are quite an inspiration!

Last edited by Maggiemay; 01-18-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM

WOW ---Missy you look great. You are an inspiration ...keep up your hard work.

Irish --- I don't think medium weight batting is too heavy.

My taboo this week is chocolate.

Maggie - I drink Tazo African Red Bush tea daily and since I started drinking this tea 4 yrs ago I have not had one chest cold or bronchitis. I use to get them pretty regular. I buy mine from Vitacost.com

Everyone is doing so well. I am encouraged by each one of you. Keep up your hard work and determination. You are in control of what you eat.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MissyGirl View Post
I have finally gotten some before and after pictures to show yall. The before pic was yaken about 18 months ago (I am the one on the left) and the after pictures were taken yesterday.

I weighed 550+ pounds when I started and this morning I weighed 352.2. Woohoo!

Missy
Missy I was on here when you were fighting to get to 400 lbs to get your surgery. I haven't been on since. I am so impressed with your success.You go girl. I also wanted to say hi to purplemem and irishrose well just everyone Hi!! keep up the good work everyone. Mary
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM

MJ you are doing sooo great!!! Yay on the blood sugars!!! Thank you so much for the compliment! I want to be in the 340s by Monday. That is my goal at least. If the weather calms down then I can get outside and walk. I think that will help me get those pesky 2.2 pounds off. I am trying to set goals in the 10s. Like now I am 352.2 and I want to be in the 340s. I have not been in the 340s since the mid 1990s. Won't THAT be a great day!

I sure think and pray for you everyday!

Missy
Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM

Thank you so much Maggiemay! I find it hard to believe sometimes that I have actually lost that weight. Amazing.

Missy
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Thank you so much Cindy! You are so so sweet!

Missy