Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM

I saw something interesting on the Today Show this morning. A woman was on who had lost 240 lbs or something like that. A few years ago her doctor put her on a non-diet. She was told to eat 8 oz of food every 3 hours. She got a food scale and got started. It didn't matter what she ate just so it was no more than 8 oz. As she started losing weight she decided she wanted to eat healthier so she then went to lean protein and more fruits and veggies. Her transformation was amazing! She was very thin but had no saggy skin.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I saw something interesting on the Today Show this morning. A woman was on who had lost 240 lbs or something like that. A few years ago her doctor put her on a non-diet. She was told to eat 8 oz of food every 3 hours. She got a food scale and got started. It didn't matter what she ate just so it was no more than 8 oz. As she started losing weight she decided she wanted to eat healthier so she then went to lean protein and more fruits and veggies. Her transformation was amazing! She was very thin but had no saggy skin.
I wish I had seen that interview! I have already lost over 100 pounds and need to lose another 225 or so. I already have sagging skin and my surgeon has told me to expect to have at least 50 pounds of skin leftover after I have reached my goal weight. He said that he can get a tummy tuck and breast resuspension covered by my insurance. My arms won't be covered so I might have to get a loan for that. Blech.

I really admire people who publically admit how they were able to lose so much weight. I feel this way especially because there are so many of us that are super morbidly obese. If you look on the covers of fashion magazines or fitness magazines they rarely address those of us that are super morbidly obese.

I do love this group and am so glad that I have never been judged because I weighed so much more than most on this list.

Thank you Pam for posting this!

Missy
Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Missy, this woman may have had some surgery, I don't know about that. She did have on sleeves that would have covered any scars on her arms. What I was really impressed with was that her face and neck looked so good.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
I already have sagging skin and my surgeon has told me to expect to have at least 50 pounds of skin leftover after I have reached my goal weight.
I read somewhere that the skin removed can be donated to others who need skin grafts. I keep thinking that if every get down to my dream weight and need a little nip or tuck I'll use that as my justification...I'm doing something good for others. Right?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
Missy, this woman may have had some surgery, I don't know about that. She did have on sleeves that would have covered any scars on her arms. What I was really impressed with was that her face and neck looked so good.
That is the very reason my surgeon wanted me to have lap band instead of gastric bypass. He said with the bypass you lose so fast that the neck skin and the skin on our faces doesn't have the time it needs ro shrink back up. Make sense?

I am so happy that I will one day have a flat tummy. I have had a pannus for so long that to not have that tummy apron there will be a dream come true for me. Seriously a MAJOR dream come true!

Missy
Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I already have sagging skin and my surgeon has told me to expect to have at least 50 pounds of skin leftover after I have reached my goal weight.
I read somewhere that the skin removed can be donated to others who need skin grafts. I keep thinking that if every get down to my dream weight and need a little nip or tuck I'll use that as my justification...I'm doing something good for others. Right?
Now THAT is a great idea! I will make 29 people very happy. *snort*

Missy
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Here are pictures of the purse and journal covers I was telling you about:

I would be curious about what you think about them and if you thought they would be good items to have in my craft fair booth this fall.

Missy
Missy, those are lovely. Your work is exquisite!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:47 PM

I wish I knew how to post an electric quilt design on here. I would love to show you the quilt I have designed. It is so pretty. I decided instead of going and buying fabric to make it, I shopped my stash for some gorgeous fabric I had forgotten I had. The fabric is amazing and I cannot wait to get the top done.

One of my favorite parts of the quilt design process is the math involved in writing out the cutting instructions. I love it! I just finished that part about ten minutes ago. YAY! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tomorrow, I have medication independence (that means I got to keep my medication bar for Tuesday instead of waiting for them to come and see me. Another YAY!) So, because I have my meds, I get to make this quilt top tomorrow! I think I can get the top done in one day. Should not be difficult at all.

After I get the top pieced then I will take a picture of it and post it and maybe hold a contest as to what it should be called. I would think it would be awesome to that. I have never done that before though. So, we will see.

Maybe after dinner tonight I will get some cutting time in. I am thrilled that I designed this with strip piecing in mind. That is my favorite kind of quick-piece method.

Sorry for blathering about my current obsession. I do love the whole design process.

Okay. Well. I will spare you any more of my nonsense. I hope everyon is having a great day!!

Missy
Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Wow, what a chatty bunch today. Missy, best of luck with your craft shows. I've always wanted to do that.

MJ, hope you are feeling well today.

I've been working real hard lately. I heard that I should work my knees like it is my only job. Seems to be helping, pain is constant, but not as severe. Eventually, I will sleep all night without pain. I walked 40 minutes in the shallow end of the pool yesterday. May be able to do it again this evening.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Good evening Ladies,

I am off in the morning on vacation. Driving to Florida for the beach and a beach wedding.

I am going to make wise choices with eating, taking plenty of water and snacks.
Keep up the good work on you.

I will have computer access while away. So will be checking in.

Cindy