Memories.....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 AM

I guess I am realy ancient. Didn't know sweet cigs, my parents didn't smoke. Didn't have a TV until after my first child. We also had deliveries of sour cream, cottage cheese, & eggs from the milk man. Also had a bread delivery. Came in real handy when the kids were sick and you couldn't get out. I lived in New York City.:)
Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Anne T
I guess I am realy ancient. Didn't know sweet cigs, my parents didn't smoke. Didn't have a TV until after my first child. We also had deliveries of sour cream, cottage cheese, & eggs from the milk man. Also had a bread delivery. Came in real handy when the kids were sick and you couldn't get out. I lived in New York City.:)
Our bread was deliverd by a comp. named Helms baking goods of ca. we thought this was a real treat they were sooooo good and sweet,, we only had this when money permitted, mom never had time to bake ,
Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
I too was raised back in the 50's and remember all but the very first one. Neither of my parents smoked so didn't know there was such a thing as sweet cigarettes, but all the others brought back a lot of memories.
Sweet cigarettes are candy that looked like cigarettes. They were thinner and had a touch of red dye at the end to make it look like it was lite.

I remember alll 15 of them so I must be old as dirt. lol :)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM

I remember 12 of them.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM

Ditter, I remember all of them, so I guess that makes me older than dirt. But dirt is good. Ha' Ha'

Ellie
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Ditter, I remember all of them, so I guess that makes me older than dirt. But dirt is good. Ha' Ha'

Ellie
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 PM

hey Ditter, ans wasn't it wonderful growing up "safe and free?"
everybody looked out for everybody else. Root bee floats and Swamp water at the A&W curley fries yeah
Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 PM

right I WAS NEVER BORED. we kept ourselves busy.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 PM

I use "banana clips" better for quilting and a lot cheaper too!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by eightylady
Ah, Ditter...here's another Ancient One/Older Than Dirt, etc. I remember the candy cigarettes and after those came the tiny wax bottles that you'd bite the tops off and drink the sweet liquids...red wax lips that you could chew when the clowning around and laughter was over...my grandmother in Georgia, boiling her clothes in the back yard, in a big black iron pot, stirring with a stick then lifting the hot, steaming clothes into the next one. This wasn't much fun, especially hanging the hot clothes on the clothes line even in frigid weather...but I did like the "warming oven" in the wood-burning stove where left-overs were kept until supper-time...if there was any home-made vegetable soup, etc. still
there...strange, but there was never any warnings then about keeping "hot food hot, and cold foods cold" 'cause of bacteria, etc. Life was good and those summers with my Grandmother Carden are still oh, so bright in this 80+ year old mind. Thanks,
Ditter:-)
I remember when I was about 10 we went on vacation and my brother who was 18 and had a job, couldn't go with us. Mom made him a big pot of vegitable soup before we left. A week later when we came home there was still some soup still in the pot on the back of the stove. She ask him if he hadn't put it in the fridge between eatings. He said he didn't know he was supposed to. Mom said it was a wonder he didn't get food poisoning!