Memories.....

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM

Dang! I must be ancient!
I remember ALL of them. Just before we moved from CT to Hawaii, I had to toss out the last of our ice trays. Yes, it was a metal one that I swiped from my mom's house. Loved it! Wish I could find more, but oh well...
We had the hi-fi with 33s and 45s. Somewhere in this house I still have a couple 45s.
The sweet cigarettes, if you blew thru the paper, the "dust" would come out and look like smoke.
We had a ringer washer, but no dryer until Mom told Dad she was tired of hauling the clothes outside in the cold and he went the next day and bought her a dryer. (wonder if it would work for me getting my Big Girl Truck lol)
I had a cork popgun that my grandfather made for me. He was a carpenter and made alot of toys for the grandchildren.
I could go on and on about all that stuff...
OMG! I AM REALLY OLD!!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

I remember the deep well bucket also, but that was for drinking water. My dad ad hauled water from a creek that ran through our front yard. Mom boiled it in a big black pot for washing, but the rinse water wasn't boiled. The water was hauled by bucket from the creek to our back yard. Good Lord, I'd hate to think how long it would be between washdays if that was how we washed clothes today.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
I too was raised back in the 50's and remember all but the very first one. Neither of my parents smoked so didn't know there was such a thing as sweet cigarettes, but all the others brought back a lot of memories.
Me too, I also was raised in the 50's and remembered all but the first one
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
Well I'm positively ancient according to that test. This brought back lots of memories of how it was and even though I realized later as a grownup that we were really poor when I was young I never went without a meal, always had a roof over my head, clothes to wear and quilts to sleep under in the winter and never missed the things we didn't have. Always had something to do and never said "I'm bored."

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Ditter.

mltquilt
Ditto here. I didn't realize how lucky I was until I was grown.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM

I told my grand-nephew that when I was a kid, we didn't have TV until I was about 6, no electronic games, no computers, no Ipods, no cell phones.

"Well," he said, "What did you do for entertainment?"

I told him we played outside, rode bikes, roller skated, hop-scotched, raced, played tag, hide and seek, climbed trees - the list goes on and on.

I don't think he believed me.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM

I remember all but the 1st one & I only 56. Went to the Dairy Queen & got a ice cream cone for a nickel & a coke too. We thought it was awful when cokes went up to a dime. We hardly ever ate out & when we did it was a mom & pop style resturant. Served the best enchilidas you ever ate. It is too funny because kids today don't realze that chickens have bones. :mrgreen:
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM

I remember `13 of them and I am ancient. But you know, I wouldn't want to have grown up at any other time. It was great. We were free to play outside, walk to school, friends houses even the corner grocery without the fear of predators etc. When I talk about the good old days, I mean it.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM

i admit, I am older than dirt because I knew all of them. As for the sweet cigs, I thought it meant candy cigarettes. we all played we were smoking.

And we played outside until the street lights came on, that was our signal to go home. Parents didnt worry.

If that is not what it refered to, then I guess all except that on.

Jean
Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
remember the lot--------older than dirt, thanks Ditter.
Yes, indeed! Maybe once a week we got a 10 cent ice cream cone; I pulled a wagon to buy a 50-lb. block of ice and was very scared when it rumbled down the chute into my wagon! We had a candy & ice cream shop and went there once a summer for sodas, malts and sundaes. The movies were 10 cents. We played outdoors until the streetlights came on. I remember real Levi's were $3 a pair and stiff as a board, bought at a dry good shop with wooden floors; my grandmother taking me downtown Chicago for a lunch outing at a fine restaurant and we wore white goves and hats. How about the horse-drawn rags & iron man wagon and the iceman delivery truck we would sneak up on to "steal" a bit of loose ice in the summer. My mom pulling in wet clothes off the line that were frozen stiff and hanging stuff from every doorway until the house was like a sauna. Loved buying penny candy.....good times!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Am I the only one on this board that remembers all 14 ????
I can't be the oldest one. sob sob. According to my grandkids I must be at least 100. They can't believed we lived without microwaves, plug in irons, electric refrigerators, curling irons, blow dryers, computers, tvs, video games, OMG , now I feel soooo oooold. lol