Memories.....

Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM

I was raised on a farm and remember churning butter, and separating milk. The ice man, the rag man, the baker, the fish monger, the fruit man. They all used to do home delivery.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 PM

No doubt about it - I'm definitely ancient! I've noticed I'm reverting back to doing some things the way my parents did - eating at home, watching TV just a few hours a week, no paper or Styrofoam plates or cups, using cloth napkins instead of paper, using cloth rags instead of paper towels. However, give up my computer and access to the internet - won't happen!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM

I haven't finished reading all posts yet but sweet cigs have to be the chocolate wrapped to look like cigs.

Remember when we didn't have to shut or lock our doors?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM

I must be MORE than ancient!! LOL!!!! I remember everything that so many have "reminisced" about here, except for the sweet cigarettes. My parents didn't smoke. That is the only one. Everything else swept past me for memories that brought smiles to my lips! How wonderful to take a trip down memory lane with everyone here. It has been fun! I remember a couple of years ago, having 3 brothers still living, we all went over to mom and dads for lunch and a good time. I was telling the "kids" that I work with about how much fun we have. They said, "what do you do"? I told them we all usually go to the front porch, chatting away the afternoon, with a few playing football or whiffle ball in the front yard. The kids said, "No, what do you do for fun?" I said, "we talk". They all thought that was the most boring afternoon ever. We all had a wonder-
ful time!!! Thanks for the memories, everyone! I have had a marvelous time!!!!! You are ALL like family to me!!!! [[HUGS ALL AROUND!!!!!!!]] :D :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM

I am positively ancient!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM

I haven't gotten past page one, but weren't sweet cigarettes what we called candy cigarettes? They came in a little box that looked a little like a cigarette package and were skinny with a red tip. Kids played like they were smoking.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Ancient here, also. Remember when if a tube in your TV blew out & you'd go to the store with the bulb & match it up, come back home & change it?? Party line followed by telling the operator who you wanted to talk to & then they would connect you, followed by 4 digit phone numbers, & then they added letters before the 4 digits. the letters turned into the 1st three numbers we used last & now we have to do the area code 1st.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM

What about yellow coloring to put in butter, and the iceman that delivered ice,
Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM

What about yellow coloring to put in butter, and the iceman that delivered ice,
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I counted 10, and the tenth was only because my grandmother had a wringer washer in her basement. I never had a phone or tv in my room. I remember party lines and I even remember when we got a color TV. When my kids saw an old phone that had a rotary dial they thought it was pretty cool. I also remember when McDonald's opened up - we never went there to eat but my Dad would go once every couple of weeks to get hanga-burgers - and we lived in Portland, Oregon.