Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mom's with daughters I need your advice again....You will love this one >

Mom's with daughters I need your advice again....You will love this one

Mom's with daughters I need your advice again....You will love this one

Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

I would never allow my daughter (or sons) to sleep over if it was co-ed. You are the mom and you are only protecting her. Why put her in a situation where she could be at risk? They do get over being angry when told NO.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM

My parents always told me as long as I lived under their roof then I would have to obey their rules.....They would have said NO to this type of party. If you say no, then please explain to her your concerns and how you feel it could reflect on her reputation, etc....My parents just said no without any explanation and I always resented that!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 PM

I would absolutely say NO. Any parent who would let their daughter or son have a mixed slumber party is crazy. The parents will not be able to be everywhere at once & I don't think trusting your child has anything to do with it.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 PM

AS a very old fashioned person I agree that this is the time of protection for her from herself. Maybe you could be one of the chaperones.haha My daughter would have about as much chance of going to ahouse with mixed people as they would with me. I will be praying for the situation for a good resolution for both of you. JO
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jannie
Any parent who would let their daughter or son have a mixed slumber party is crazy.
Good thing I'm not a parent, because I would take offense to such a judgmental statement.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 PM

My advice? Don't set a precedent. You will have a hard time going back. And why would a parent allow boys and girls to spend the night together in the first place? After all, they're still minors. Call me "old-fashioned" but that's what kept my daughter out of trouble.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Jannie
Any parent who would let their daughter or son have a mixed slumber party is crazy.
Good thing I'm not a parent, because I would take offense to such a judgmental statement.
Thank you! That's how I have been feeling while reading this whole thread! As I said earlier, we were the parents who had the all night co-ed parties. It seems that everyone is jumping to conclusions - that this will be an unsupervised event. You don't know that until you talk to the parents involved - and as I also said: Volunteer to help! At our house, the party was in the basement, but they only had access to 2 rooms: the family room and the bathroom. I was in and out all night. As my daughter said, "Who is going to do something with 20 other people around and knowing that "Mom" would be coming in and out of the room at different times. I would much rather have the group of kids safe in my home than out at a questionable party or place! Also remember, every child is different and should be treated that way. Yes, I'm sure my children did things that I don't know about (what child doesn't). But when it came to important things, I could trust them. By the way, mine are now 22 and 19 and very good young adults. Co-ed parties did not make them promiscuous (as some of you seem to think will happen).
Sorry if I offended anyone, but thank you for letting me vent!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 AM

If it were me, I would check on the family situation, make sure they were all going to be safe, then relax a little about it. I mean, its prom night. Do you think any of them will sleep at all? Mine wouldn't. They would be up all night having fun. Might sleep all day the next day. Just be sure they are going to be supervised.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:15 AM

My answer would be NO! Unless, of course, your daughter will consent for you to be the chaperone at her friend's house overnight!
What is the matter with the friend's parents that they allow this?? At 17, it's just too easy for hormones to overcome common sense. And baby makes three.....
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

I read through all of the suggestions and comments and I am lucky that my daughter never did anything too stupid. Not to say that she didnt try to pull the wool over my eyes a few times but she was too worried about academics then being popular with the boys. And she had this click of kids in our neighborhood and her school that she always ran around with that were always very well behaved and didnt get in any trouble.

Since she took after my wife she was the prettiest girl in school ( :mrgreen: ) so she always had a date or a boyfriend. But my house is like "Leave it to beaver" so she always had to bring her dates in to meet us and she knew not to be out too late and if she was past her curfew then she had hell to pay.

But I remember her first time being asked to the prom and she was so excited and her mom and her did all the girly things getting ready for it. But the neighbor down the street had the party for the kids when the dance was over, but we parents were there helping with the cooking and orchestrating the operation. It was an all nighter but there was no alcohol or sex going on thats for sure. When it was over the next morning after breakfast those kids slept really well all day!! :lol: But she is a good kid having the time of her life in Collage and is very well rounded.

So if she wants a party or something like that have several families get together and plan something out for them and basically have a shut in with games and music and plenty of food! It is possible for an all nite coed party to exist if you conduct it right.

Billy