Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!! >

my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!!

my sewing room was ravaged Christmas Day !!!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Next time tell them you'll meet them at the local Buffet resturant that way they can't tear nothing up.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Children actually learn very well and fast when there is a consistent set of rules/guidelines and the consequences for breaking them is known. I am not a proponent of spanking, although a well-placed swat on a diaper to redirect a brain stuck in temper tantrum is OK.

One of my friends had to do the "tough love" thing with children of a mutual friend. She made it very clear to them that their misbehaving is not acceptable and what they are allowed to do at the house. The mom was upset about it and my friend said that she can let them run over her at HER house, but not as long as they were guests.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A parent who would let a child be unsupervised with a loaded gun should go to jail.
YES!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

This is unbelievable! That you are even thinking of having those "people" back is questionable. BE has to step up, or the relationship needs to be reexamined. Does not sound like a win/win situation.
Kids with guns left to their own devices is also criminal! Ministers kids don't get their training by osmosis! Sounds like some intervention is needed there as well.

I don't even tolerate children running in a public place. I have stopped kids from tearing around in a church hall where there are other people. Just because there is room does not make it a playground!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diana
Something similar on Christmas Day...
We decided to go the the country for Christmas (husband's grandmother's home) out of state. There were 12 of us staying in a small country home. We went out in the woods and cut down a Christmas tree and all the kids decorated. We kept them busy stringing popcorn and cranberries...the whole nine yards. Well the boys got restless ( ages 11 and 14) They took their new twenty two rifles and walked down the lane to a small storage barn filled with antiques to the rafters. You guessed it, The whole side of the barn, and windows were riddled with gunshot holes.....When the damage to all of the antiques was shown to them, they said they didn't think the bullets would go all the way threw the building.....Their father, a Baptist minister and his wife just shook their heads, said nothing and did not offer to pay for anything. The building belonged to an uncle, so I guessed they thought it was OK to ignore what their kids had done. These are the same kids that set fire the the church bus. Nothing was done then either. Amazing.
Omg ! That probably ran into the thousands of dollars . Some antique pieces are very pricy . And nothing was done ? Man did they get off scot free ! I wouldn't let that go . I'm not done with mine either . Annie
Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Diana
Something similar on Christmas Day...
We decided to go the the country for Christmas (husband's grandmother's home) out of state. There were 12 of us staying in a small country home. We went out in the woods and cut down a Christmas tree and all the kids decorated. We kept them busy stringing popcorn and cranberries...the whole nine yards. Well the boys got restless ( ages 11 and 14) They took their new twenty two rifles and walked down the lane to a small storage barn filled with antiques to the rafters. You guessed it, The whole side of the barn, and windows were riddled with gunshot holes.....When the damage to all of the antiques was shown to them, they said they didn't think the bullets would go all the way threw the building.....Their father, a Baptist minister and his wife just shook their heads, said nothing and did not offer to pay for anything. The building belonged to an uncle, so I guessed they thought it was OK to ignore what their kids had done. These are the same kids that set fire the the church bus. Nothing was done then either. Amazing.
When I read this, I was livid.

Apparently these boys have not been properly trained in the use of firearms. If I remember my training, some of the rules go like this:
Never handle a firearm until properly trained to do so and you have gone through the firearm safety courses and received your certificate.
Firearms are not for playing with.
Be sure of your target and beyond.
Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them.
No person under the age of 18 shall have or use a firearm without having adult supervision.

There are many more rules, but the jest of this is these parents need to be held responsible for these boys. I would have contacted the sheriffs/police dept. and had them take care of the situation. They more than likely would have confiscated the firearms and had a good talking to for the whole family. Also, I would still speak with the sheriffs dept. about charges if any, see if they will still talk to to the family, and I would definitely let them know about the bus if they don't already know.
As to setting the bus on fire...three-fourths of all incarcerated individuals have begun their path by starting fires and/or hurting animals. This is a fact.
My training started with my father, then ROTC rifle team and Captain of team in high school, married a cop, firearms courses up the wazoo, and police training. My uncle was also a national shooting champion. I have been around guns my whole life and the main thing that was drilled into my head was , "know your target and beyond!"

Sorry this was so long and I know it will start some controversy, but this is a real sore point for me and especially parents who don't step up to the plate and take their parenting duties seriously.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
When I read this, I was livid.

Apparently these boys have not been properly trained in the use of firearms. If I remember my training, some of the rules go like this:
Never handle a firearm until properly trained to do so and you have gone through the firearm safety courses and received your certificate.
Firearms are not for playing with.
Be sure of your target and beyond.
Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them.
No person under the age of 18 shall have or use a firearm without having adult supervision.

My training started with my father, then ROTC rifle team and Captain of team in high school, married a cop, firearms courses up the wazoo, and police training. My uncle was also a national shooting champion. I have been around guns my whole life and the main thing that was drilled into my head was , "know your target and beyond!"
I was taught the same thing you were and the other thing that was drilled into my head was to never fire a gun if there was anyone that was not behind you out of the line of fire. You could not be standing next to any one with a gun you had to be behind them and a safe distance from them. If you broke that rule you had to go back in the house and could not hang out with the guys!

It was and has always been a right of passage for a boy to receive his first real rifle around 10 or so years old. And its always a .22 rifle it seems. My dad had to saw off the stock of my gun because it was too big for me at the time LOL. I never went through any gun safety courses growing up my father, uncle and grandfather taught me how to use a weapon and the safety aspects. And I was always supervised until I was around 14 or 15 thats when I was allowed to go hunting with my dad and grandpa. But when we went hunting dad and my grandpa was always in the woods somewhere with me.

My 18yo daughter has gone through all of the safety courses and I did the same so we could do it together. We both are avid hunters and you can go into her room and she has my old .22 rifle (she learned to shoot on it), 12 gauge pump and 30-06 hanging on her wall along with a 10 point she nailed when she was 16.

She made me so proud, but she also bagged the biggest one that year and she has yet to let me forget it!!

I also have a permit to carry a weapon and I never leave the house with out my S&W .40 on my hip. In my state it has to be exposed not concealed. My wife has a permit also but since we usually go places together she never carries unless she is going on a trip. The way I look at it it is my constitutional right to bear arms and I am grateful for it.

Billy
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 PM

Ditch the boyfriend and don't look back, they are not worth the heart ache, this may sound harsh but they are not giving you the respect that you deserve. Spelling wrong forgive. If this is the way they treat you now what can be down the road, much more pain.
Will say prayers for you.
All my best
med
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 AM

I agree with medots. There are men out there who will respect you and treat you with dignity. The next time with this bunch will be worse and there will be a next time.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness! I would have whipped the living daylights out of them, and sent them flying out of my house! I am so sorry to hear that your stuff was trashed.