Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Keurig owner

Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Last year my husband used his "birthday" money to buy the
    "Professional" model at Costco.... it only lasted a week before
    it quite working, exchanged it.......2 more times and gave up
    on the Keurig brand.

My husband went to Lowes and found a Hamilton Beach brand
    it worked GREAT for about 7 months then it stopped brewing
    the properly. Returned it and bought the Bunn brand.

So we are on the 5th Keurig brewer within 11 months. I told my
    hubs that if this one gives up problems I am giving up on the
    blasted things and going back to my 5 cup coffee maker.

I KNOW that I am the exception and that normally most people
    don't have THAT many issues. But we sure have.

But I DO love the k-cup coffee.
    Get the Cuisinart K cup coffee maker...it looks like something out of the 1950's and Superman and it's made by Kuerig, but for some reason it doesn't break . the guy at Costco told us the Keurig coffee makers were garbage and were regularly returned. We got the Cuisinart one, have had it about a year...excellent.

My husband and I have been a Keurig family for two weeks; so far so good. We went a little wild buying different types of coffee (like Geri B I had a 30% coupon at Kohl's) and are set for a while. I also bought the cup that takes whatever brand of coffee you'd like to put in it. He was more interested in it than I was but it's worked out well for both of us.

Blog Entries
    My son bought me the Keurig two Christmas' ago and, I, too, love it.

A few things I've learned: To avoid having to wash out the single plastic Keurig cup each time, I reuse the little
    individual cups over and over. Works for me. There's a video on YouTube if you're
    interested.

Mine stopped working, too, a couple of times and I tried everything listed in the manual
    to fix it but it didn't work. Was just ready to pitch it when I thought, well, I've not
    tried YouTube yet to see if others have had this problem and, lo and behold, my problem
    wasn't unique. Many people said you can fix it simply by banging on the top of it with
    your fist. So, what did I have to lose since it wasn't working anyway and, what do you
    know, it started working and has been working ever since. I'm not recommending you
    beat up on your Keurig.....just telling you how I fixed mine........

Blog Entries
    I buy the cups in bulk at Amazon. Also now is a good time to watch for holiday special buys online and stock up on the K cups. I never buy the K cups at the grocery store. Sears just had a special, K cups of Green Mountain coffee 196 cups for $59.29. My Keurig came with a refillable cup and I use that with regular ground coffee. The Keurig refillable cup seems to work better then the other refillable cups. Walmart has them.
    Got fabric?

I am reading this with great interest. I think I would like one of these, but my DH is not so sure he wants to fiddle with making and cleaning up his own cup of coffee. So we sit on the fence. We do have a 12 cup pot, but like, Nammie to 7 above, my DH likes to have a bit of coffee all day long.....

I love my Keurig also. I got a sleeve of 100 little coffee filters that fit in my refillable Kcup. When coffee beans are on sale I buy a bag, grind it on expresso grind and use that. I get a whole lot of cups of coffee out of one little bag. I got the coffee filters on Amazon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
    I have been thinking of getting one of these, and have not priced the little coffee things and not sure if DH cup would fit it. He uses one of the huge mugs from Circle K. Lots of things for us to consider.
    I've had mine for several yrs. I never buy the combo packs like at Bed Bath and Beyond because they have so many dark or bold ones and I like my coffee a lot weaker than that. I also use large mugs. If I use the button on the machine that makes the largest cup but I do it twice so that I can get it weak enough for it. When I use my large travel mug I just make it in a regular cup and then pour both cups into it and I'm out the door. Becareful with some of those inserts, some of them may invalidate your warranty. They also now make a coffee grounder (saw it at the Navy Exchange) that grinds the coffee right into your insert. Its great to be able to use your own coffee when you want. I only wish someone would make one that also included a regular machine too, like the espresso machines. When I'm off I use my regular one because I'll be drinking more so it'd be great to save a little space and not have two machines on the same counter. I'd run to the store asap if my machine ever breaks. Shop around and you can find great deals on the coffee.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    Get the Cuisinart K cup coffee maker...it looks like something out of the 1950's and Superman and it's made by Kuerig, but for some reason it doesn't break . the guy at Costco told us the Keurig coffee makers were garbage and were regularly returned. We got the Cuisinart one, have had it about a year...excellent.
    I've had mine for over 4 yrs with no problems so its not all of them. I do agree, the Cuisinart ones are cool looking. I'm hoping by the time mine breaks they'll have come up with one that also has a regular machine attatched.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I've had my Keurig for over a year and haven't had any trouble at all. In fact I bought three at one time for gifts and each one is still going strong. I do think they could be made with better quality.
    Got fabric?

We have the$100 Version and l o v e it!! We use our own coffee also, but buy kcup on occasion since I love the Green Mountain Nantucket blend.

My personal sized Keurig was one of the first -- got it as a QVC TSV years ago, and that was the first time I'd seen it. I think those of us who bought the early ones were lucky as, from what I hear, the newer ones aren't as well made. Maybe the company had to ramp up production and crank them out too fast for adequate quality control. At any rate, I don't think I'll replace this with a Keurig brand if and when it goes out.

I don't like strong coffee either. I just use a large mug and run the large and the small from one packet. I love my Kuerig. I threw away coffee everyday and I think it is actually cheaper for me plus I can have all kinds of flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by themachinelady View Post
    I tried their little "do you own coffee thing" and found it was way more messy than I wanted to mess with. I would love the fresh cup at a time, any suggestions from anyone on how not to have such a strong cuppa
    My solution to the perfect cup of coffee
    https://shoponline.melitta.com/items/COFFMKRSPROVER
    the cone that goes on the cup and #2 filters. Filters are about $3.00 per pack of 100 at Walmart or Target.
    The plastic cones were $3-4.00 each. Absolutely perfect coffee every cup.
    At very little expense and zero-ish environmental harm, the grounds and paper cones to right in our compost pile.

I'd rather save my pennies for something in the quilting line.

I love my Keurig too! It's just over a year since I bought it and it's still going strong. Every once in a while I'll buy K-cups, but most of the time I brew from my coffee. I did find, however, that I need to purchase a slightly darker coffee to get a good brew, because I find it brews my regular coffee a little too weak.

My boys love to use it for the hot water for cocoa and those ramen cups of soups. Oh! and it has been saving me money on electricity since my old coffee pot sat with the warmer on for at least 4 hours a day and used so much more electricity (like 900 watts) if I remember correctly.

Blog Entries
    DH fell for the Keurig when I was having chemo. The hospital had a Keurig for caregivers - we chemo patients had absolutely no interest in coffee! He loved it and immediately bought one at Costco. It's still working 5 years later. We have one in AZ, too - and I'm drinking coffee again, too. We bought the filter to use our own coffee, and I've discovered that I need to buy a stronger roast to get coffee that tastes good to me.

Blog Entries
    I have the Hamilton Beach that has a separate filter cup for using your own coffee. I love it. It was very inexpensive too.
    TwandasMom

I live alone now, my hubby passed away last year, so our 12 cup coffee maker goes unused. I only want one mug of coffee each morning so I found a way to make a good cuppa...I got a Finum brewing basket, permanent filter. It hangs into my mug & I add coffee grounds to the strength I like. Then pour in boiling water to the top, cover with the lid and steep 6 1/2 minutes. Remove the basket and enjoy my coffee! It works for me.
    I have the medium size.
    If anyone wants to see it, go to Amazon and in the search box, type "Finum brewing basket".
    Last edited by GrammieJan; 11-10-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    I use mine a lot for hot water for a cup of tea. Let the water run over the tea bag in a cup and a great cup of tea - so guess I need to fix one now.
    Quilting in the Desert

I absolutely love our Keurig. I've had it for 2 years now and have never had a problem. I use the pre-filled K-cups and also bought the K-cup to use my own coffee. I bought my daughter one for Christmas last year and she loves it. Enjoy

New recruit myself! At Christmas, my DH mentioned one of these and then he Poo po'd the idea as too expensive (it was my input about the expense). Then i went to Aldis last week and they had a special purchase on the Mr. coffee Kcup machine. $59.00!!! It happened to just fly into my shopping cart.

Well, i get home...DH makes the comment of "don't we have enough coffee pots already?"... I told him that I would take it back to Aldi, no problem. An hour later, he tells me that he went online and ordered MORE Kcups! He is soooo predictable! Plant the seed, bring it home...feed it...keep it! We have enjoyed the convenience and variety of our coffee options. I rearranged the kitchen cabinets to make a "coffee" bar. Cups, etc are now conveniently stored just above the new coffee pot. I bought a Kcup drawer from Walmart and sat the coffee maker on top. What we do for a cup of java!

I stored the other two coffee pots for now.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by themachinelady View Post
    I tried one and did not like it, the coffee was way too strong for both hubby and myself. Guess maybe we aren't true coffee drinkers, I don't know. I loved the hot chocolate from them though even though I thought it was a lot more expensive. I tried their little "do you own coffee thing" and found it was way more messy than I wanted to mess with. I would love the fresh cup at a time, any suggestions from anyone on how not to have such a strong cuppa
    I too don't like strong coffee but I love my K-machine. I use a large cup and then push the button twice for the largest amount of water. I also make sure when buying coffee that I get a mild or mellow roast and then its not as strong or bitter. I'd buy another machine in a heart beat. Our Navy Exchange has the largest amount of different brands that I've seen under one roof. If I'm home all day I'll make a pot of coffee but when I'm in a rush or just want a late night cup it can't be beat. I talked our boss into getting us one and we all just buy the coffee we like. No burnt pots sitting around and we all get what we like.
    Judy

And there are teas, hot cider, hot chocolates, etc. The selections are endless. Walmart has a huge floor display in the main aisle so shopping is easy. Even online sources have tons of options.

good to know about the "push button" for extra water....alas, my bargain pot does not have that but i can live without it...future reference!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2