Nutri System Experience

Old 07-05-2014, 12:05 PM

I follow a really simple plan...no refined flour; no refined sugar. Natural starches/sugars are fine. Took me about 15 months but lost 65 lbs. Since not working and thus not being quite as active have put back on @20 lbs but that's it. Have been doing this for almost 10 years now. Diets don't work long term...changing you eating habits does.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I tried it a year ago when it was "Today's Special Value" on QVC. I didn't like most of the food and I was STILL hungry. Also heard that they are using radiation to make the food have a longer shelf life. If you can WALK, do that because that is the simplest and easy way to lose weight.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

My son-in-law bought a months worth of the stuff and tried three things and he was done. I thought I might try it since he was going to throw it out. It was the worse stuff I ever tried to eat. I told him I understand why you lose weight...You can't stand the food so you don't eat....LOL
Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 PM

I just lost 25lbs. On weight watchers. You eat regular food and you loss slowly. 1or2 lbs.a week. But you won't gain it back. Those fast weight loss diets are a disaster for me. I gained all my weight back on Jenny Craig . Do it slow and do it right. You chance of keeping it off is better inthe long run. If you want more info you can send me a message. Barb
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM

I saw an article that said to eat 2 eggs for breakfast. The egg protein is what makes you feel full and satisfied until lunch. That sure worked for me. I've been eating the two eggs for breakfast for about three years now. Wasn't even thing about losing weight when I started. And it has stayed off.
The other things I do are =
1. no cake in the house unless it is pumpkin cake, carrot cake, zucchini cake or - you get the picture. And these cakes I make are only for special occasions or pot lucks, so I have help eating them.
2. Keep away from sugar as much as possible. I will eat sweet things somewhere else, but seldom buy them and never have them at home any more.
3. Stay away from white flour. I have found that sweet rolls and white bread seem like poison to me. They turn immediately to sugar in your stomach.
4. I have a small piece of DARK chocolate when I get the urge to snack, and then have a cup of tea. That seems to take away the urge to have more of anything. The chocolate is good for you, and makes me feel rewarded and satisfied.
5. The most important one! EAT SOME FAT! As in butter and bacon and beef and pork. Not a lot, but your brain needs fat, and when it is satisfied with a little fat, you don't feel the need to be eating all that sugar stuff.
So fry those eggs in butter! They really taste good.
And do your cooking with fresh vegetables in water-less cookware. You can cook almost water-less in most any cookware, but the good stuff makes it easier. And water-less is a lot more healthy!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Very true about Nutri System. I think that you can do just as well by having a small bowl of cereal in the morning, a Healthy Choice meal at lunch and dinner, each accompanied by a salad or fruit. Snack on fresh, uncooked veggies like snap peas, carrots, etc.

Now if only I could follow my own advice!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:07 AM

I did NS for 6 mos and lost 75lbs. I was so happy, then my ex came home from his cruise and he was happy so he said but I had high doubts when for my birthday, he bought me a large birthday cake. He said he was trying to be nice, it was the first time in 7 yrs of marriage that he'd gotten me a cake or anything sweet. Once I went off the diet I gained the weight back.

Over 20 yrs ago I had weight loss surgery. It has lots of trials and tribulations, its no easy fix like most think. You still have to work at it or you'll gain your weight back. There were lots of things I hadn't been told in advance so it was a shocker the first time I tried to eat a little of my sons birthday cake, on bite sent me to the bathroom. About 10yrs after my surgery I had gotten a night job and went back up to 160 + and then one night I said this is crazy, I didn't go thru this surgery to be overweight. The problem back then was that they never really deal with why you gained your weight and you have a tendancy to put it back on. A friend just had it about 2 yrs ago and they have changed some things like she had to get a trainer and a certain amount of excercising afterwards and a few other things that are good for any weight loss program.

I went on the Southbeach diet because it mimics the diet for the WLS the most. Low carbs, low fat and high healthy protein. The other diet that mimics it is kind of the same but it just says high protein, no matter what kind. I couldn't believe when a co-worker brought a giant bag of fried bacon in to snack on, saying she needs lots of protein. Come on now, that's just wrong that a grown up person would do that. I've sinced learned this person is one who can justify anything she does to make it right in her mind. Anyway's about 2 months later I was back down to 140 and stayed that way for several yrs. Now I'm back down to 121 and have maintained it for quite some times. Its a struggle sometimes but its worth it. The thing that most don't realize that after surgery, you can make your body get used to all of those things that made you over weight in the first place but I refuse to do that to myself. I know lots who have and you can't tell they've ever had surgery and have put lots of weight back on.

addressing the gall bladder ....when I had my surgery the doctor removed mine, as he did all of his patients. The reason is that when we lose weight we have a tendancy not to drink enough water to flush our system out and that's why people have issues with thier gall bladders. They aren't being flushed of the toxins. When I went in for screening, I already had 5 gallstones that amazed the doctors that I couldnt feel them, they were big.

If I were to recommend any diet it would be South Beach because its a healthy life style change but you can still eat a little of what you like once you are on track but if you follow the diet you'll be eating healthier.

The second one I know that lots of people have success with is WW, the problem with it, like NS and others like it, is you are constantly putting out more money and then if you have a money crunch the first thing you stop is your weight loss program. With SB, you learn how to incorporate normal food into your normal life and its easy to stay on because you aren't constantly putting out money for programs and the food.

Last edited by romanojg; 07-06-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc View Post
I have never tried but my daughter said it was awful and so have a lot of her clients.
When I tried it, over 20 yrs ago, it was good and I had no problems eating it and was successful. Most people don't know that at one time, Jenny Craig and NS was the same company. I can't remember which one was first but it was a worker that worked for the company that started their own. I think NS was first but can't remember so not saying for sure. No matter what, you have to adjust and address your eating habits and monitor your vitamin levels. I get mine checked by the doctor and I don't take multis, I take what I know I need, mag. zinc, calcium, vit D, etc. I go and get my levels checked every 6 mos and have the amounts that I take adjusted accordingly.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 AM

By the way, check on line, SouthBeach used to have a free website to help you along and lots of good recipes. I love thier cookbooks.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
From her comments portion I am presuming she is selling this vitamix stuff........another diet aid...once off! puff weight gained plus!!!!! WW seems to be the most practical. It's a hand to mouth addiction!
Actually, I've been following her for about a year and this vitamix is new to the site although I know she uses a Vitamix blender and she probably has sponsors. That said, I've never seen a single recipe that has any "diet aids" in it. Her approach is very sound - eat healthy food, control your portions, and exercise.

For those who didn't see my original post, this is the site we are talking about.http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/