Quirky Habits

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have to pluck my eyebrows (and let's face it, chin whiskers) every day. I'm compulsive about it.
I have to listen to West Wing episodes on my iPod to go to sleep.
I don't count things, but sometimes I will spell things in my head endlessly. Different words, not the same word over and over again. This actually gets annoying, I get to the point where I force myself to stop.
When we visit my MIL, I tip all the pictures on her walls just a teeny bit, so they're not square. I also rearrange the eggs in the fridge so there's gaps in between. Both of these drive her nuts. We LOVE to harass each other, lol!

My mom cannot eat cold cereal with milk, she has to use juice. YUK.
When my brother was a small child, he had a bizarre bedtime ritual - he would get on all fours in the bed and rock back and forth, banging his head on the wall. He did this every night for years.
Years ago I had a boyfriend who was anal about his laundry; he had to fold all of his pants so the seams were aligned and there was a crease down the front, then he would put them in the washer and start it. When the washer was done, he'd take the pants out and fold them AGAIN, put them in the dryer and start it.
When my DH gets out of the shower, he takes the mask section off his CPAP machine and uses the hose to blow his nether regions dry. I find this highly entertaining.
OK, I'm a tweezer addict also. As for your DH & his "blowing", mine does the same thing but he just uses the hair dryer. I'd never thought of it as a "quirk" but now that you mention it, it is... different... LOL!

I had a friend whose brother would eat with his knife pointing straight up in the air... like he was ready to stab anyone who got near his plate. Huh?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
He may have been saving you, from a gigantic mosquito. It could happen.
Y'know... you might have a point there. Y'know how mosquitoes buzz around & annoy you? Well, maybe... just maybe... I'm like that... LOL!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
He uses the towel to dry off, but has to finish "Big Jim and the Twins" with the blower from the CPAP. I cannot figure it out. It's nothing sexual or titillating, he claims he just doesn't feel dry unless he's blown dry. I've offered powder, but he refuses - too feminine, I guess. Sure is funny to watch, though!

My dog had some bizarre habits and rituals. He absolutely had to be wearing his leash any time he went out into our backyard, which was fenced. So I'd put it on him, then take it off once he got out, so he wouldn't drag it into his messes. When he decided it was time to come back in, he'd stand at the wide-open door and bark at me. I'd put his leash back on him and he'd walk right in.
"Big Jim & the Twins" -- cracks me UP! "Mr. Johnson" gets the blow dryer treatment around these parts! Tho my DH goes hog wild with the powder. Our bathroom looks like one of those dust storms in Arizona!

My dog's only quirks are that he takes about 5 minutes "arranging" the blankets before he can lay down. He uses all 4 of his legs & his mouth to achieve this & he WON'T lay down until the bed is just like he wants it. Our dog before, Yankee, would get mad & would stomp (yes, actually stomp) down the hall... LOL!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Yep. And the closet door absolutely closed tight. But the darker the room is, the better I sleep.
I also have to sleep with ....count them....5 pillows (well, three are small ones).

Jan in VA
I have fibromyalgia and only use one smaaaall pillow. I sleep on my stomach and anything regular sized hurts my neck and shoulders.
I toss and turn...if I had to keep up with five pillows???
I'm guessing you haven't gone menopausal yet. The night sweats would cause severe chucking of pillows, gown, sheets across the room
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM

I think many of the "quirks" just mentioned make a lot of sense; they help make your life easier and more organized. And I am all for anything that makes my life easier.

My quirk, although it's more of a pet peeve than a quirk, is putting a plastic bag in the trash container without opening it up. Only a couple of items can be put into the container and then they start bouncing out. When he was in the hospital, my dad used a lot of tissues and just dropped them in the trash can. The bags had not been opened up and the snotty tissues ended up on the floor. Eeww positively gross to have to pick them up. Since then I always open the bag up, put in the container and then push the bag down into the corners of the can. That way, air isn't trapped between the bag and container preventing the bag from being fully open.

I know this is anal, but it drives me absolutely nuts when the bag isn't fully opened before putting in the trash can.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

but I thought fully opening the bag was the whole point.
That just seems normal to me.
I don't worry about other ppl's business, but can't stand ppl to get in mine and "interpret" it!
I think I am obsessively anal about that and yes I am aware that was redundant,...my bad
Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 PM

I work at a gas station/convenience store. I have lots of co-workers and many of them do not open the bags. Only one 12 pack cardboard container makes the bag appear full. Stuff thrown on top of it starts the can overflowing, so it appears the bag needs to be changed.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I work at a gas station/convenience store. I have lots of co-workers and many of them do not open the bags. Only one 12 pack cardboard container makes the bag appear full. Stuff thrown on top of it starts the can overflowing, so it appears the bag needs to be changed.
ohhh, I see what you mean...how could anyone throw away a
12 pack cardboard container...LOL!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 AM

On the topic of trash bags, I hate it when "someone" throws away something, which makes the side of the bag go into the can (like something sticky, which grabs the bag). Then he . . . I mean "someone" just leaves it like that, for me to have to pull out of the can . . . which I usually refuse to do, unless I was the cause of it.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
On the topic of trash bags, I hate it when "someone" throws away something, which makes the side of the bag go into the can (like something sticky, which grabs the bag). Then he . . . I mean "someone" just leaves it like that, for me to have to pull out of the can . . . which I usually refuse to do, unless I was the cause of it.
this posted twice...keep reading, or don't, but contents may save your life!
(or just give you closure, lol )

Last edited by Mousie; 08-01-2012 at 08:27 AM.