Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re-gifting and me-gifting.

Blog Entries
    My me-gifts are the best .... just what i wanted, the right size and the main reason , it makes my husband so very happy .....he hates to shop. it is win win for us.

I remember one year many yrs ago. My kids were small. We went to my parents about a week before Christmas. My Mom was always famous for changing into night clothes very early in the evening. She came walking out wearing a new nightgown..a brand new robe..and would you believe pink fuzzy slippers. I was appalled. She said she wanted to make she got what she wanted. Good Grief! Really ruined the shopping experience for two little girls. I thought it was pretty rude. She never did that again!
    have been happily divorced from the same guy for 39 years now! Yay!

Well, I don't usually re-gift and I never heard of ME-gifting until now. I guess you could say I me-gifted myself a Benz 2 seater convertible this summer. I think I'll me-gift myself a Viking sewing machine for X-Mas.. Sounds like a good plan to me. LOL

I only regift if I know some one really wants that partyicular item and they would be ok with it. It is often to one of my 14 children as they have seen it and basically asked for it. I am just starting to me gift. Like others said else I would not get it.
    Anna Quilts

I have been quilting for about a year now and realized the need to purchase a gift. Although they have a basket full of toys, my two kitties think my pincushion is the most exciting thing I've brought into the house in years. Since I have to put it away when not using it, I finally bought them their own. It's Christmas at my house and Mom can sew again!

I planned for all the years I put savings into tax deferred annuity to use it for "play money". Every year now since I had to start drawing it out I give myself a big "happy birthday" present, me-gifting, right?

I me-gift myself all the time. Saves me having to explain to DH why I would want a particular item. Last me-gift was a red Dooney Burke purse for my birthday.
    "May the works of my hands be pleasing in Your sight, O God."
    From 'A Quilter's Prayer' by Patricia Hauze

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    Isn't that the BEST thing ever!!!!

I can't think of any other mechanical or electronic device/appliance that can claim the same thing over such a long period of time.

Brilliant on the part of KA design.
    Vintage Singer sewing machines - many attachments are interchangeable between the different models.

I have me-gifted on occasion because I will like the gift from DH or DDs. One year, I bought myself a nice handmade wooden replacement sewing box complete with 5 yards of fabric and a quilt pattern book that I wanted. DH thought he gave me a great gift that year.
    Last edited by chris_quilts; 11-16-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady View Post
    I me-gift myself all the time. Saves me having to explain to DH why I would want a particular item. Last me-gift was a red Dooney Burke purse for my birthday.
    Sweet!!! I'm the same way with Coach!! Great purses (leather only for me). I bought my first Coach Classic Leather Willis (large) back in 1993. $340.00. My boyfriend at the time now husband thought that was ridiculous! He had just purchased a kayak for $1200 by the way.....almost 20 years later I still use my Willis ( i clean the leather and the brass findings) and he has probably used that kayak 4 times ! NOW tell me....who has gotten their $$$ worth?!!

I treat myself to a new leather Coach purse every few years and yes i use them all! Dooney has some gorgeous styles this year... As does coach. Hmmmmmm

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I had never heard the term "me-gifting" until reading this thread. I do it all the time, especially while Christmas shopping They have such neat things at the time of year! I am an adult with my own income, so if I want something, I jusy buy it. No questions asked!
    Judi from Denver, aka Nonna Judi

Tis the season! Who's re-gifting and/or me-gifting this season? Confess!

sandy
    Sandygirl

I occasionally gift an item that I already have to someone else if they want/need it. A couple years ago a friend's daughter (who is like family) was wanting a sewing machine so I gave her the one I used less since I had gotten a Featherweight that I use all the time. Guess you could say I me-gifted myself the Featherweight.

Blog Entries
    I love to collect gems from all over. I buy cheap, and bring them to my jeweler with a picture of what I want it made up as. or, I pick something out at the jeweler and he puts it away. when my dh goes in, he doesn't have to hope that I like it, it's already there for him to pick out what I want, all he has to do is pay. I have a great relationship with my jeweler. Known him for years, so I get great prices. If I had to pay retail, i'd own nothing, But I buy wholesale or direct from Bancock on gems and such, cut out all the middlemen and have a customized pc.

I have never re-gifted (lots of me-gifts though). My brother and sister-in-law have....once. They received a wedding gift from his best friend. When said friend got married a year later, they gave them that gift. What's really funny is that they had unknowingly left the wedding card in the bottom of the box! I don't think they were quite as good of friends after that!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    I re gift all the time. For some reason I get a lot of candles or candle warmers. I don't use candles or warmers so I regift those but only to someone I know likes candles. I megift all the time.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-13-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Got fabric?

Re-gifting has been around forever. I have no problem with re-gifting. I've done it myself. HOWEVER...please remove the original gift tags! When we were married (in 1975) we received a stand mixer from my aunt and uncle...they had gotten it for their wedding...19 years earlier. We got a beautiful plate...from my cousin, also from her wedding the year before! Recently I received another very nice gift...the receipt, with a note attached from the original giver, was still in the bottom of the box! Check for the "evidence" before you re-gift!!!

Blog Entries
    Just tonight, I regifted a bottle of wine that someone, not the recipient, had gifted to me. I don't drink much and almost never wine but the recipient loved it.

I just me-gifted myself with a new Kitchen Aid mixer -- bright red! My husband and I both shop for ourselves at Christmas time -- we know what we want so what the heck!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I just me-gifted myself with a new Kitchen Aid mixer -- bright red! My husband and I both shop for ourselves at Christmas time -- we know what we want so what the heck!!
    I have one but am looking for a good deal so I can megift me a 2nd one. When I bake, I frequently need 2 mixers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post

I bought one about 4 years ago and I love it! Mine is red too. Love the new colors they come in but but I still would have purchased red. No regrets.

i bought my KitchenAid Artison at Kohls around Christmas. It was at a good price and had a $50 rebate if memory serves. I may have been able to use Kohls cash toward it. Been too long to really recall but i was happy with my price. Love that mixer! It is my "cookie mixer" for the most part.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2