Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!! >

September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!!

September 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM

create4, i sent my FQ's fri. 2 for this mo and next.
irish, don't know how old you are, but either medicare, or soc sec will pay for housekeeping help if you need it.
i have heard of other older people receiving this benifit. someone correct me, please, if i am wrong.
couldn't live without my once a month lady. she does the corners, and scubs it all down.
hope you all are doing good, and being good. so far, i am pleased with myself. leaving the crap alone. but then i cleaned it all out of my house. could find some sugar , if i made something from scratch. etc. or home canned fruit, but so far, am leaving it alone. hang in there ladies.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM

possible themes, ---black and white and then maybe neutral's?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Cindy. I mailed Sept and Oct today. The success of finishing your quilt will help with you depression - a job could help more. I tell people recycling begins in the grocery store - making choices that are less packaged - I think the same could be said for weight control - making good choices at the point of purchase. I can't eat chips if I don't bring them home, etc.

meanmom - love the duct tape on the cookie container. Will you share the recipe? I need something new to bake for others.

Laurie, three pounds by the 11th is wonderful.

SewNso, Yes, I qualify. I don't think my Medicare Advantage/Priority will pay and I don' think regular SS will, just SSI if that's the one that's for people who became handicapped before retirement. My best bet in this area for help with the cost is Council On Aging. It's about 2 hours for about $50, but I will have to pay a portion because of my income. I already use their snow removal, though they don't do any unless 5 inches comes in a short period of time. Cumulative doesn't matter. It might work if I have someone do the cleaning while I do the decluttering. I really don't need anything deep cleaned, just routine.

My weight is holding at the 5 pounds the antibiotics put on me. I think my doctor has the dosage way too high and for too long. Maybe I won't gain 35 pounds in 14 days.

I have to work on the baby quilt tonight. A lot going on in the next few days so I can't put if off. any longer. I am considering scrapping the bazaar quilt and finding an less time consuming pattern. Or skipping a quilt and make casserole carriers. Decisions, decisions.

Furgirls are waiting. I took them with on some errands today, but they haven't been walked, so goodnight.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Taboo Tues. a little late in the day. Just thought about it being Tues. So I guess I should be easy on everyone so let's do no pizza. That will be a hard one on me.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM

I have a popsicle recipe that I got out of a cookbook. 1 pkg. Koolaid and I pkg. of Jello 2 cups of hot water and 2 cups of cold water. Heat 2 cups of water to boiling and put jello and stir until disolved then add the 2 cups of cold water and 24 pkgs of equal or splenda or the sweetner of your choice. Pour in molds and freeze. My sister used Mango Peach Koolaid and Peach Jello and they were really good!!!!! Could have been Peach Mango Koolaid. It's in a yellow pkg. I am going to use orange Jello if I can't find the sugar free peach.

PamS
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM

I must have done something wrong when I subscribed to this thread. Life was so busy that I didn't even notice I wasn't getting it. Did anyone miss me?
We were in Texas and got our house all ready to sell. It sold on saturday! Woohoo!! We close on Oct 1 so I will be going back to Texas to pack up everything and clean.
Happy birthday, Meanmom!!
On saturday I went to the Madison Quilt Expo. Here is a link to the pics I took: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=35d624bcbf
I didn't buy any fabric while there. Just a few gadgets. I'm pretty excited to use my new pouncer. Today I bought some stencils to use with it.
I somehow got myself roped into a quilt block exchange with 11 other people who went on the Ireland trip. We are each going to make 12 identical blocks to exchange with each other. I was feeling totally overwhelmed by this but I searched for patterns and found one I liked and went to work. Here is a pic of my sample block. The 12 quilts will be on display at the International Quilt Fest of Ireland in June 2013.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362165[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3115.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars
Yield: about 5 dozen small bars
INGREDIENTS
For the shortbread layer:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup sugar
For the caramel layer:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup sugar
4 tbsp. light corn syrup
2 (14 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
For the chocolate layer:
8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tsp. light corn syrup
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Fleur de sel or sea salt, for sprinkling
DIRECTIONS
To make the shortbread layer, preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir with a fork to blend, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until well blended, about 1-2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed blend in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking pan and press in an even layer over the bottom of the pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden. (If the crust puffs up a bit while baking, just gently press it down while it is cooling.) Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.

To make the caramel layer, combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup and condensed milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, stirring constantly. Continue simmering and stirring until the mixture turns an amber color and thickens slightly. Pour the mixture over the shortbread layer, smooth the top, and allow to cool completely and set. (I chilled at this stage to ensure that the caramel layer would not melt when the warm chocolate was added.)

To make the chocolate glaze, combine the chocolate, corn syrup, and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour evenly over the caramel layer and use an offset spatula to smooth the top. Allow to cool for a minute or two and then sprinkle with fleur de sel. Chill, covered, until ready to slice and serve.

Probably a bad thing to put on a diet group. I have made these gluten free by making GF shortbread. I usually buy a really good butter to make them, an Irish or Amish butter. WHen you make the caramel layer stir, stir , stir and make sure you scrape around the edges of the pot as it burns easily. It take about 15 to 20 minutes on the caramel. Enjoy. JUst not too many.
Pat
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM

That's a beautiful block, Pam. I admire those of you who are willing to work with small pieces of fabric. The outcome is worth it, I know, but I'm not here yet.

Sewnso, I like idea of the b/w FQs.

Pam, that's an easy taboo for me. I didn't get a gold star this week with the chocolate, but I will next week for sure. When are you going to make it difficult for some and ban Nutrasweet/aspertame for a week? That stuff is not healthy. I don't think Splenda is quite as bad, but I avoid it, too.

Off to Curves again tomorrow. I have to go in the morning. I am not a morning person, but the rest of day is scheduled. Anyone else trying a 30 day free trial in September? Your 30 days can go into October as long as you sign up in Sept. The machines aren't hard - I can do almost anything for 30 seconds and the intervals doing movements off the machines are only 30 seconds. I never tried it before because I thought the times were much longer.

Okay, I've caught my breath from our pretty night walk. To the sewing machine I must go!

Edit: we posting the same time, meanmom. -Thank you for the recipe. It sounds fantastic. I could make on for the shower Sunday then I'd have help eating it.

Last edited by irishrose; 09-11-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Yea!! My Dr scale and my scale show I am down about 3 lbs so far this month. I hope I can keep that and add even more loss to it.
It will be hard. My birthday is the 20 and Jim's is the 22. Already we've had some birthday cake made for us! I did eat a piece but it was a small one.
Need to be good and lose this weight!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Beautiful block Pam!!!!
I have picked out my FQ for the next 4 months. One of them is a not so skinny 1/4 yd. I don't think anyone would mind getting a slightly larger piece. Now I just need to get them into the mail!!!

That recipe sounds yummy!! But........ Not a good idea on a weight loss thread! We might be tempted to make it and eat it and gain weight instead of lose

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!