Oven roasted Vegetables: cut all into bite size pieces
1 med zucchini
1 butternut squash
1 ea. red, yellow peppers
1 lb. asparagus
1 red onion
Place in roasting pan,
toss with 3T olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp coarse pepper
Roast 450 degrees F for 30 minutes, stir occasionally until browned and tender.

Guaranteed they will want this recipe/you will not have any left over, and if you do freeze it and use in your next soup.
Have fun at your BBQ.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Copper Penny Salad (from carrots...Isn't that an American salad? Or is it to common? We just love it in South Africa or curry beans......all on google)
Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Marinated Veggie Salad .... chop up assorted fresh veggies and add some italian dressing (or other dressing as you choose). Stir and let marinade.

If you want to add some protein to that ... add some chick peas to the mix, or top with crumbled feta when ready to serve.
I do this salad too. Everyone loves it and I never take leftovers home.

It is a wonderful salad because it is all veggies, a version of pasta salad without the pasta. I add black beans. I get tired of salads laced in mayo that sat out all day.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
Good Morning to all my quilting friends. My son is turning 28 this coming up weekend and I am hosting a BBQ for him. But I am very tired of the same old potatoe salad, pea salad, cole slaw stuff. I was hoping that with so many wonderful friends here from all over the world that maybe you all could give me some new fresh ideas. I would really appreciate it if someone would share a recipe with me that is a tried and true sucess for a get together. Thank you all in advance.

Carrie Jo
This is what I always make and it's the first thing gone where ever i go. It is a fruit salad: Use one large tub of whipcream (or a smaller one if you want...bigger has more whip taste)...mix in real well a package of jello (regular, not sugar free and dry)..I like the orange.....Add a container of cottage cheese and mix well( I use small curd).... I drain all my fruit very well and even soak it on paper towels(you don't want a lot of juice)....Cut up a whole jar of marachino cherries, a can of mandarin oranges, and put in well drained crushed pineapple. Mix it all in ,voila, you're done.Put in fridge for at least an hour.... WARNING...you will have to make it all the time!!!!!!! Enjoy!...of course this has to be put on ice or kept cold
This salad is a standard every holiday. I just change up the flavor of jello depending on what I feel like. My husband has a standing request from the ladys in the office at the county that this is wha he is suppose to bring every year for the Christmas potluck. Love this salad.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Created a vegetarian pasta salad last week -- only because I was just creating, not because I'm a vegan.

Cooked some shell pasta, rinsed in cold water so it didn't get mushy. Added:
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained well
chopped celery, chopped onion, green and yellow bell peppers and olives if you like.

(I don't measure when I cook, just add what I have or like)

Dressed with plenty of Greek salad dressing. Surpised myself that it was so tasty since it was so easy.

Enjoy that BBQ!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 AM

I see several have given you different variations of this dish. This was given to me my friend Lisa and it is a fabulous recipe. Lisa said it will stay good in the refrig for 3 weeks. I have doubled it and it lasted for a week, but quite frankly it gets eaten too quickly at our house to even test the 3 week theory. :D

Marinated Vegetables

2/3 cup vinegar
½ cup oil
1 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
16 oz. can French Style green beans
16 oz. can Tiny English peas
16 oz. can White Shoepeg corn
2 oz. jar chopped pimentos
1 bell pepper diced
1 cup diced celery
1 bunch green onions chopped

Combine vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper; drain all vegetables; mix together and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:27 AM

MoJo Potatoes, done on the grill
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
AnneVC's Lemon Blueberry Chicken Salad was delicious when I made it. Best to make ahead to let the flavours meld.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124214-1.htm#3291096

There's several other recipes on that thread you might like too!
I made this too and it's DELICIOUS...I'm also having a party this weekend for my daughter's 30th birthday...still debating on the menu! I'm trying to please all diets and use new things...making myself nuts!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

A kind of Afelia - Dish from Cyprus

Cut up a pork roast into large pieces. Soak the them in a container of red wine over night. In the morning brown the pork well. You then have the choice of adding the red wine (plus more) on top of the stove in a dutch oven OR (as I do) put it all in the crock pot and let it cook for some hours.

It is also possible to put the marinated meat on a the grill. When I use the grill, I make brown gravy (McCormicks) and add the red wine marinade to that and bring to a boil.

This goes well with potatoes and other veggies browned on the grill.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Norwegian Bløt cake - (means soft cake)

Make a nice sponge cake.
Slice it horizontally in three. (or 4 layers)
Wet each layer with your choice of liquid - (sweetened milk or orange juice...)
Let it soak overnight

We use home made sweetened and well whipped cream, (careful not to make butter)

To assemble cake:
Place bottom layer on platter, coat with whipped cream, add sliced strawberries,
Place next layer on top, coat with whipped cream, add another kind of fruit - sliced bananas works well
Place top layer, coat with whipped cream - coat entire cake with whipped cream
Place several kinds of fruits artfully on top and around sides of cake

If you have a cake decorating bag it is possible to use it to apply the cream decoratively

Store in cold fridge until serving time.