UGH! My child's friend

Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 PM

Sounds like the boy thinks real life is like the sitcoms. I hate sitcoms that make rudeness seem funny and downright cruelty a normal way of life. If I had acted like that I would have been in sooooo much trouble.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
My son had a friend when he was about 6, this kid was to say the least ....an A+ BUTTHEAD. His Mother defended all his actions as "peer pressure" and he was acting out because of society.

He decided he was going to pick on my daughter. He wouldn't stop, my son asked him to stop or get his butt kicked. Well he didn't, and my son lit into him, pounded his face into the driveway. He goes home and tells his Mom he was attacked for no reason.
She came stomping over to my house screaming, I simply looked at her and said, my son's actions were the result of a society gone bad and my son had succumbed to peer pressure. I never heard from her or her son again.
My GF (A) was over last night, telling me that her daughter(G) is in trouble again. Her daughter was defending her little brother at school, and fought off 5 bigger girls. A has detention for a week for standing up for her little brother and stopping others from hurting him. A just didn't seem to get it, but A was an only child.
G is a bright funny girl, but she is head strong. She and her mother clash all the time.
Her mother seems to think that being smiley will solve everything, Dad seems to think that hitting A will change her behaviour, and I just want to pick A up and take her to Chasing Hawks house, where she will get looked after!!!!!! Can't bring her to mine, they will find her and bring her home.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks y'all for the advice. I do scold and correct him...I 'll have to try and remind myself its not his fault, have patience.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Peter and this boy have found a friend in each other, they could be good for each other but sounds like you're the one that will have to nurture it along.

Let him know while he's in your house he will obey your rules, if he rolls his eyes at you just tell him well, you may not agree, but that's the way it is here. And be consistent. And give him alternatives, we don't do that here but if you want to do so and so, that's ok. I think if kids know where they stand from the get go, they'll eventually "get it".
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
My son had a friend when he was about 6, this kid was to say the least ....an A+ BUTTHEAD. His Mother defended all his actions as "peer pressure" and he was acting out because of society.

He decided he was going to pick on my daughter. He wouldn't stop, my son asked him to stop or get his butt kicked. Well he didn't, and my son lit into him, pounded his face into the driveway. He goes home and tells his Mom he was attacked for no reason.
She came stomping over to my house screaming, I simply looked at her and said, my son's actions were the result of a society gone bad and my son had succumbed to peer pressure. I never heard from her or her son again.
Oh too funny!!! Good one!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

your house, your rules. sounds if as the kid has a serious dysfunctional family, maybee alcoholism. mom is crying out for help too, the way she treats the dogs.maybe dad is abusive and looking for an outlet for herself also. you're in a tough spot, maybe the kid needs an understanding mom figure in his life because it see his mom doesn't know which end is up. bless you for putting up with this. you have to do what is ruight for you. some parents have to be tld or shown how to act around their kids ad other peoples kids. too many adults are slacking off on their responsibilities, and don't know how to respect others, much less themselves, good luch
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM

I grew up knowing I was a disposable child so when my sons friends are over they all get to be treated as part of the family. Even the ones that had troubles always followed the rules of the house. They called me moms and my husband became pops. Even as adults now.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM

I raised foster kids. Mine was usually the one causing the problems. I encouraged my child to bring friends home, rather than going to their house so I could supervise closely. I would coach my child on the proper way to behave. Some of them learned a few social skillls and could use them when they chose. (I was a teacher at the only school in town, so all kids and parents knew me.)
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 AM

I once was acquainted with a couple who had two sons with the foulest mouths that you would ever hear come out of a 3yr olds mouth. They were rude, mean, and disrespectful. Of course, they learned it all from their parents. The parents would say "Society will raise them" and guess what, society did raise them? Unfortunately, sometimes that is the only way when parents don't want to "Parent".
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by texas granny
Originally Posted by Charlee
My kids had friends with parents that were "less than ideal" to put it nicely. (One had a mother that would tell him to "Go to the store and get me a pack of ciggarettes...DON'T get caught!!" )

I treated these kids like they were my own. They rolled their eyes at something I said, they got in trouble. I gave them a time to "be home" just like my own kids, and when they were late, they got grounded like my own kids. They ate dinner with us? They helped clean up. They mouthed off? They got to spend an hour weeding the garden. They always did what I told them, they knew the alternative was to not be able to come over again...
I agree with Charlee . When I have other people kids in my home they will do what my grand kids do. They will help where it is needed or they aren't welcome back.
Alot of time these days its the kids friends parents that help raise these kids that have parents where the dogs get more love then the kids do.
Give the kids a little love and they will love you until they die. and they will remeber who it was that loved them. Give them cookie and had them weeding the flower beds.
Good luck with the kido
All any kid wants is love and a little attention. If they dont get loving attention- they will 'act up' to get it. Some people are easy to love and anyone can do that. The true test is loving someone that seems 'unloveable'. Let' face it- we all want to love and be loved.