Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Up at 3:45 and I blame menopause >

Up at 3:45 and I blame menopause

Up at 3:45 and I blame menopause

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM

I was certain it was the closest thing to spontaneous combustion that I ever wanted to experience. I still sleep with a fan at the head of my bed at night and experience a renegade hot flash on occasion.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM

So glad you posted this. I've been waking up between 5 a.m and 5:30 every morning for about a month. Have never, ever been a morning person and NOW it kicks in. Have used some of the time to sew and some just to read and relax. I've thought the same thing...is this the beginning of a chemical/biological change???
Old 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM

Going on 15 yrs and things aren't improving, and waking up at 3:30am is no fun. I don't know what I would do if I was still working. :oops:
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
So glad you posted this. I've been waking up between 5 a.m and 5:30 every morning for about a month. Have never, ever been a morning person and NOW it kicks in. Have used some of the time to sew and some just to read and relax. I've thought the same thing...is this the beginning of a chemical/biological change???

I've never been a morning person either. About 5 years ago I started waking up early, 4-6 am, this went on for months, then suddenly I started sleeping til around 8-30. Months like that, then it would change again. Now I never know whether I will be up early or late! Good luck to you!

BTW, Bette Davis was quoted as saying *Getting old was NOT for sissies!*
Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Going on 15 yrs and things aren't improving, and waking up at 3:30am is no fun. I don't know what I would do if I was still working. :oops:
Boy, Twisted, now what am I going to tell DH? He thinks I should be done soon, so "things" can get back to "normal", as if they ever were "normal." I don't think I can wait another 6 or 7 years. :oops:
Old 05-25-2010, 05:39 PM

I don't sleep either. Going on 3 to 4 hours of sleep for years has not been fun. I work with a bunch of 28 year olds. I am the oldest person on our team, they can't quite understand my forget fullness. It is quite embarrassing. Sometimes I look at my computer monitor and can't remember what I was just doing. I am exhausted by the end of the day. I refuse to get up that early in the morning. I will get up and lay on the couch. My biggest problem is falling asleep. I prowl around in the dark, trying not to wake up my husband. I really wish I could sleep like he does. It would make me happy just to switch with him for about 2 weeks. So he could understand. When he can't sleep one night in a year, I hear alot of complaining. Poor baby.
If you find anything to help lets us know.I guess it is a passage of life. My Mom is 80 and she can sleep thur the night. Maybe there is hope.HA!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM

I can't take HRT - I had a blood clot in my leg when I was in the hospital for my asthma... I've tried all the herbal stuff too. Some of it actually worked for a month or so, then it just quit working...this too shall pass....(I hope!)
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Yep, I've tried them all with no relief. The lastest was a product called 'GEM' at $90.00 a month. Nothing changed after the first 30 days so I quit. The 'good people' at GEM even offered to reduce the price to $50.00 if I continued for another 30 days...I don't think so!! :oops:
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
i finally gave in & went on the hrt....my dh came out onto the FRONT porch one night @ about 230 am & i was standing out there flapping my nightgown up & down over my head trying to get a breeze..... did i mention it was january & we were in the midst of a nor'easter??? i talking white out conditions...
:lol: Sorry, but this really made me laugh. I remember doing things like that! I also remember when my MIL would dash outside in the winter, stand on the porch, flapping her apron, and me at age 25 wondering what in the world is wrong with her?! Well, less than 20 years later it was me running outside on the porch in the winter trying to cool myself from 200 degrees to normal body temp. Sweating in bed and DH waking up and saying "why is the bed wet?" Sleepless nights, drowsy days. Now, I sleep well, and actually get cold!! Bless the Lord! I love being cold. I do wake up earlier than I ever did willingly in my life, but I like it! Mornings are good, even though I never used to think so. Getting up before 9 am was torture as a teenager. Now it's private time with just ME. Sometimes DH joins me and we sit quietly, listening to birds and watching the corn grow. For me, I started meno early (age 42). My dr. said no, you're too young. HA wrong. Last period was age 45. But it was all done and over by by age 52... sleeplessness, hot flashes, etc. But sometimes I do have a "not nice" attitude and I wonder where did that come from?? But it doesn't last long.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM

I have never had a hot flash and I never sweat, but I can't sleep, I sleep for maybe 3hrs, wake up and have a hard time going back to sleep, sleep a few hours more and wake up. This has been going on for about 5years and really getting old.