Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Peas....well, Mom didn't like them either, so she only put like 5 of them on my plate. I never ate them tho' - I would keep them in my mouth, eat everything else, then spit 'em in the sink when I was helping do the dishes.
Also brussel sprouts! YUCK!! That was the only time I had to sit at the table until I ate something. There was only one on the plate & I sat & sat & sat.... But, Dad was having the guys over to play cards, so he finally PAID me (50 cents) to eat it - and I swallowed it whole!!! lol Last brussel sprout I ever ate. :wink:
I don't eat Poisonous Wolf Peaches (tomatoes) unless they're sun dried or made into sauce or catsup. My oldest sister doesn't eat them either, and my Dad didn't like them until he was in the Navy in WWII. After a year in the Pacific with NO fresh food, they were taken to New Zealand for leave. Came ashore at midnight, and the whole mess area was FILLED with fresh food - tomatoes were right in the front! He grabbed one & ate it like an apple & has loved them ever since. :D
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

There are so many things that I hated as a kid....

Velveeta....craft cheese slices..bluh!

I only drank milk in my cereal as well..

I didn't like meatloaf, Chicken fried steak , Steak, Moose meat ( I grew up in AK) and salmon patties ( I ate filet salmon)...chinese food, pineapple on pizza, and chipped beef!

Ironically I ate all vegetables...STill do!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Swede! couldn't get it down.
Corned beef - at my school we were given the stuff 3 days a week, I used to have a bag in my pocket to get rid of it.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by raptureready
Some of you probably already know the story but mine was salmon patties.
But for those of us who don't know the story, do tell!

Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on TV tonight? What a hard situation he's up against! But honestly, how could he expect the kids to choose roast chicken and celery sticks over pizza? And did you notice the meal they finally liked was fajitas - good stuff, but very similar in the kids' eyes to the junk food they're used to.

I loved the teacher who went out and got vegetables to teach her class what they were.
Mom's long gone now and bless her heart if she were here today and fixed salmon patties I supposed I'd still have to pass them up. I hated them--I like my own, just not mom's.
I was about 15 and I smelled them cooking. I knew I'd be listening to her about all the children in China that were starving and would love to eat those salmon patties. I saw something on my dresser and thought NO, Alfreda don't do that, she'll backhand you away from the table." I couldn't stop myself, I put it in my pocket. At the table mom passed the salmon patties to me and I passed them on. She asked if I wasn't going to eat them and I said I didn't care for any. That was all it took--the poor children in China.... Very calmly I reached in my pocket and laid some change on the table and said, "Mail mine to them." I was right, she did it. I ended up with my shoulders on the floor, my back against the cabinets, one foot on the stove and one in the sink. I was right too, it was funny and after the swelling went down I could laugh about it. I still laugh about it.
I don't know if the children in China continued to starve for salmon patties or not, mom never mentioned them again. She was a wonderful woman but she didn't take any sass or back talk.
And that's the story of the salmon patties.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 AM

MILK!!!! I grew up on a dairy farm too. That was back before they had lactose intolerance. My parents never made us eat anything but my third grade teacher made me just try a sip of milk. It came back up during social studies class. She never made my drink it again. My daughter is lactose intolerant too.

I encouraged my kids to try things but if they didn't like it that was OK. As they got older their taste buds would develop and they might like it as an adult so to try it again. They eat almost everything now.

When we had squash we would tell them they couldn't have any because it was adult food. They would always look at our plates but never ask for any. Now they like it too.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:33 AM

Turnips. Being raised by my grandparents we either ate everything on our plate or starved. Since there were 5 kids we ate. But I just couldn't get down mashed turnips. Still can't stand them.
I do like most everything else though. Liver I don't eat anymore only my Dad could cook it right.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 AM

English peas & liver. Won't eat today either .. Thought & smell just gag me. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Mom's long gone now and bless her heart if she were here today and fixed salmon patties I supposed I'd still have to pass them up. I hated them--I like my own, just not mom's.

I was about 15 and I smelled them cooking. I knew I'd be listening to her about all the children in China that were starving and would love to eat those salmon patties. I saw something on my dresser and thought NO, Alfreda don't do that, she'll backhand you away from the table." I couldn't stop myself, I put it in my pocket. At the table mom passed the salmon patties to me and I passed them on. She asked if I wasn't going to eat them and I said I didn't care for any. That was all it took--the poor children in China.... Very calmly I reached in my pocket and laid some change on the table and said, "Mail mine to them." I was right, she did it. I ended up with my shoulders on the floor, my back against the cabinets, one foot on the stove and one in the sink. I was right too, it was funny and after the swelling went down I could laugh about it. I still laugh about it.
I don't know if the children in China continued to starve for salmon patties or not, mom never mentioned them again. She was a wonderful woman but she didn't take any sass or back talk.
And that's the story of the salmon patties.
I am still laughing as I type this. ROFL, yes, you were right! Had I been your mom, I probably would have hugged you and teared up - and taken your money and donated it to feeding kids in China. (And let you eat something else.)
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 AM

Velveeta cheese (can't stand it), brussel sprouts (the worst).
Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Still can't eat onions or green peppers, but I do use onions in my cooking as my mom did show me a lot things just don't taste good without them, so I do use onion powder most of the time. As a child I wouldn't eat hardly anything my sister says that why she fat she'd feel sorry for me and eat my dinner so I could leave the table. My would say turn you side ways and stick out your thong you look like zipper. How it's whale on the beach!!