What should I do ?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 AM

Do what you enjoy doing and you can always share with the Board. I don't think I am alone in saying I enjoy the pictures of others work, so inspiring. Some I know I will never be able to do, but I sew for my enjoyment, I give to family when I can (and they appreciate what I do) rest I give to several organizations that share the quilts with people who have fires or other disasters.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM

Hi Margaret! I know just how you feel about your finished projects being just a bit off. I have done that and felt that for so, so many years. I do have to say that lately I am doing better and feel better about my work. I have a DIL that is so precise and her work is gorgeous. She is my inspiration. However, I have to tell you that I just finished a quilt for a friend who has cancer (I will post the photo for you to see) and I didn't realize it until the whole top was pieced and in the mail for quilting, that I had not put all my star squares in the correct direction. Darn! Oh, well. No one is perfect and I certainly am not. I love the joy of quilting and so I trudge on. Good luck and good sewing. Love it, live it and enjoy it!

all the red sqs should be going in same direction. Sigh!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175674[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175668.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 AM

If mine weren't a little off I would know someone else was doing the sewing. LOL I will never be perfect in anything I do but I still enjoy it and that is all that matters to me.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

LOL, mine are FAR from perfect! But I enjoy it, so I keep going!!!!!!!!! We would love to see your stuff!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM

I think by now you know we're all behind you to keep quilting, and we're all here for you.

What I can't figure out is why you'd even ask if you should keep going or stop. Please yourself! You don't have to make them as gifts for anyone, you don't have to donate them, you can just make them. If you need appreciators, we'll all enjoy seeing your work.

Besides us online, you might look into joining a local quilting guild. Find a fabric shop or two near you and ask them if they know of any in your area. Or post an ad in your local paper or on your church bulletin board asking if anyone would like to form a quilting group. I bet you'll find people.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 AM

I'm 61 too and retired. The whole idea of joining guilds or groups gives me the shivers - I spent too much time being diplomatic when I worked, it's not going to happen now! I always felt at loose ends - going from one hobby or job to another - until someone called me a DABBLER a few years ago. It wasn't said as a critism, but as a statement of fact. You're curious about so many things, you don't want to confine your interest to one area. Oddly enough my whole life fell into place after hearing that! I decided to teach myself how to quilt and that's what I'm doing. My point is that it's OK to go from one thing to another. That's just who some of us are!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Often, the person who makes the item sees flaws where others would only see flowers. piecefully, the old one
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 AM

No one is perfect. The main thing is that you enjoy doing what you are doing. Maybe if you could get into a small group of like-minded crafters it would help.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Keep quilting! I still have trouble always sewing a straight line! But from this board I am begining to see that perfect is not as important as I once thought it was. The enjoyment you get from creating something is what is important. Remember just because you see your mistakes does not mean anyone else will!I will probably never achieve perfection in quilting but I will achieve peace and joy!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM

As my Knitting Nanny pounded into my head...you are not including the pattern for anybody to compare. We are our own worst critics. So pls post.