Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What types of excercise equiptment do you like and use? >

What types of excercise equiptment do you like and use?

What types of excercise equiptment do you like and use?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Thanks!!!! If I ever make it over there I would probably play with that adorable pup in your avatar.

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
I am in Missosuri and you are quite welcome to come see! :-)

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
LOL Nancy. Can I come and use them? I know that is the problem isn't it? I want to make a wise investment even if I buy used. I actually looked to see what state you are in. No pun intended.

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
are you referring to the 4 machines in our basement with ALL THE DUST ON THEM????
:-P
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 AM

That is great but I do not always get much of a work out dragging 7 or 8 kids along and I do not want to spook around in the dark alone. That would be the time DH is home and I could have time to myself.

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Oh,i just have the dirt road outside.
Before dark,when the kids are in school.Mine are grown and gown.Plus,i might have to start caring a hand gun.I don't go outside after dark.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Does pushing the sewing machine pedal count?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM

Walking around the neighborhood or stores. Rake, prunning shears, lawn mower, etc. I don't believe in purchasing equipment as it quickly gets boring & then just sits. I like to see accomplishment from working out. I have a beautiful yard & a very clean house. I even make cleaning an exercise.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM

Two dogs. Mine can tell time. They tell me when it's time to walk. They are a real pain in the neck until we go. It doesn't matter to them if it's raining or cold. They just know when we get up in the morning, within about 45 minutes, we better hit the road for a two mile walk EVERYDAY....................
If the dogs are big enough, you also get upper body strength training.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM

We have a Bo-flex we bought several plus years ago & a Bo-flex Tread Climber. We also use a floor ball. The Tread Climber we locked the treads in place. It moves like a treadmill & climbs at the same time. We do an average of 30 different exercises on the bo-flex/treadclimber/floor ball/floor 3 times a week. It doesn't take long & we feel so much better when we exercise. Oh...I also have fibromyalgia & this really helps me.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 AM

lite freeweights for toning up.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Looking at an elliptical tonight. I think the gazelle is not appropriate till I loose 50 plus lbs or so. :oops:
Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM

When my kids were little(3 kids and babysat 5 more) I used strollers bikes and wagons to get outside and get excercise, no excercise equipment, couldnt aford it due to the wagons strollers and bikes for the kids.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 AM

So I am thinking of adding some kind of excercise equiptment to my life to hopefully get some cardiac type of excercise in. I am looking at the Gazelle, some sort of glider excercizer, off Craig's List. There seem to be plenty availble in my area making me wonder if I will use it.

What is your experience and what works? I am an over weight 47 year old, do tae kwon do,but have joint issues.
The only equipment I have are two 3# dumbbells that I use in a Leslie Sansone exercise. I walk, there's your treadmill----I go up and down the basement stairs 50-eleven times a day, there's your stairstepper. I get in around five miles a day with my deliberate walk with the dog, two miles with Leslie Sansone, plus toning. I mow the lawn, there's more walking. Walking is the best cardiac exercise. Oh, yah, I spent $12.00 on a pedometer and wear it all the time. You don't need to spend all that money on what you can do in your own home . Save the money for a new sewing machine or fabric - I did!!!!!!!! I am toned, I feel great, lost 30 some pounds and I am going to be 73 on Monday. I have walked almost 968 miles since February 6, 2011. Am doggone proud of that. Do you know if you do a week's grocery shopping at one time that when you go up and down the aisles, you walk almost a mile????? Isn't that marvelous? And it didn't cost a cent - except the groceries. And most important, for every mile you walk you burn up 100 calories. Then I can have a little dish of ice cream. Or a Big Mac!

If you don't have dumbbells, you can use canned vegetables or fruit!!!! I got my dumbbells from my sister and didn't have to buy them, otherwise I would be doing my toning with stewed tomatoes or something!!!

I don't want to spoil your day or anything, but Golly Gee, there are so many improvisations to this or that in this world that I would certainly try doing it the cheap way and then if you don't feel satisfied, go ahead and get the big stuff. We don't have the room for one thing and I just find it more satisfying to go for the gusto on my own. Enjoy! Edie

PS - I just looked at my Avatar and I noticed that I have been here for two years and two days! Yay!!!!!