Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child >

what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child

what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child

Old 12-26-2010, 05:28 AM

My fondest memory was when my mom and I lived in a little small mobile home with a hall so small that only one person could walk down it at a time. She had the bedroom and my bedroom was the pull-out couch in the living room. We had a little table-top tree but that didn't matter. That little house was filled with love and we had the best Christmas I can remember right there in that warm little mobile home. That was also the year I caught my mom taking present out of the trunk of her car to put out for Santa! I had a suspicion that she was Santa but even when she got caught she tried to tell me a story about Santa having to leave my presents in her car cause he couldn't get into the tiny house with his bag! Too funny and so sweet! Thanks for the opportunity to share a memory I had almost forgotten all about!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 AM

I have one memory of when my sister had been ill and in the hospital for a year so my parents had no extra money, my sister got to come home for Christmas and the local boy scout troop had unknown to us gathered a ton of toys and delivered them to our house on Christmas eve. I still remember I got a Tammy doll whose hair grew.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
The year my dad convinced us to leave a beer for Santa instead of the milk. I was so surprised that Santa actually drank the beer with his cookies.
Santa drinks beer!!!! My dad made a comment one time when I was a kid, guess he was right.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
The year my dad convinced us to leave a beer for Santa instead of the milk. I was so surprised that Santa actually drank the beer with his cookies.
Good memories. Our children would always leave a beer for Santa along with the cookies and carrot because' Santa probably needs something different from all the milk!' And, each Christmas morning, it and the cookies had been drank and eaten and the carrot had been nibbled on.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by penski
going to bed at night after leaving cookies and milk for santa and getting up the next morning thinking santa had eaten the cookies and left so many nice presents i remember trying to figure out how he got in the house and no one heard or saw him !!
I with you there. When I was a little girl, we had several big dogs. I couldn't figure out how Santa got in the house without the dogs barking their heads off. My Gram said its because the dogs know a nice man when they see one. I thought well our neighbor is a nice man but they bark at him.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 AM

One of my best memories is my husband and I and the kids getting all bundled up and going to pick out a Christmas tree. Even our dog wore a coat and came with us. We had a ball. Afterwards we went back to the house and had hot chocolate and Winnie got a dog treat.
Another one was listening to our little kids opening their stockings and saying things like "How did Santa know I wanted that?" We were still in bed but we had to get up just to see them in the excitment.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

When my parents bought me a little girls ironing board and iron. I set it up in a hallway and ironed everything I culd get my hands on.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM

I was the only girl and the oldest of 5 children. Yep, 4 brothers after me. [I remember each time mom would come home from the hospital, I would always ask her if I finally got a sister. Wrong answer for 3 of my 4 brothers! LOL!] My oldest brother was 13 months younger than me. When we were 7 and 6, we decided to "crawl" from our, at the time, shared bedroom to spy and see what Santa had left. We just about made it back to bed when we heard a, "what do you think you are doing?" Busted! Dad caught us mid crawl behind the couch! It scared my brother and me too pieces!!! For a couple of years, since we were so close to the floor, and it was dark, we didn't look up and thought that it might have been Santa that questioned us. Then it dawned on us that those were "bare feet", and it had to be dad. He confirmed it about 4 years later. He laughed, and then, we could laugh. It sure wasn't funny then. My brother thought we would wake up later and there would be nothing under the tree. We did get good stuff that year! I still have that doll, but lost her highchair soooo long ago. I am now 58 years of age. My oldest brother died in 1988. Thanks for the memories!!!!!!!!! :-D :thumbup:
Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 PM

The year that my grandparents bought an aluminum Christmas tree for me. I could breath, not sneeze, or have itchy eyes. I still can't be in a house for long with a real evergreen tree.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Probably my most memorable Christmas was one year when we 6 kids woke up to find a large basketful of toys under the tree. They were not wrapped. Mama told us that Santa had said the elves were so busy that they didn't have time to wrap them & that we each could pick our own gift. We each got exactly what we wanted??????????????????????