Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child >

what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child

what's your fondest memory of Chrismas when you were a child

Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM

One of the most vivid memories at Christmastime is the year I got uppity. We were coal miner family. We had 'enough'. No one had plenty, we just had enough. I don't know what had Santa inspired to give me a watch. But I had my heart set on a 'Tina' doll. We would take the wish book and tear or cut out things we liked. So Tina was taped to the wall for me to dream about. Well, Christmas morning I woke with a bolt and knew Tina was waiting. I went in and opened my box. Mother made us all a big shoe box and covered it with paper, both the top and bottom and we reused it each year. But inside my box was a covered box and inside that little box was a clear plastic slipper looking like Cinderella's shoe. I'd never heard that story but it was sure pretty. On that slipper was a pretty wrist watch with a blue band. I could not tell time. Mother took it and sat it on the mantel and told me I could have it to wear when I learned to tell time. She had a harsh hand with instructing me and I just could not tell time, even in the third grade. So, my grandma sang me a ditty. five, ten. fifteen, twenty, count with me and be my honey. five ten, fifteen, twenty. I got the rhythum and sang with her. I was in the floor playing jacks when she asked me to bring her the button box. I did and she counted out five buttons and asked me to make bunches of five. So that began my learning to tell time. I don't remember anything else that year except my Grandma Kincaid, who could tell fortunes and see spirits (rolling eyes, here) spending all her time teaching me the fives so I could learn to tell time. I think by a day or so I was in business, but mom would take me to another room and quiz me. When I finally found out what Cinderella was, it really seamed enchanting that I had her slipper. Mother was so oddly religious that everything that didnt pertain to the Bible had to be sinful. Memories, boy what a trip. Thanks y'all.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Originally Posted by penski
going to bed at night after leaving cookies and milk for santa and getting up the next morning thinking santa had eaten the cookies and left so many nice presents i remember trying to figure out how he got in the house and no one heard or saw him !!
I with you there. When I was a little girl, we had several big dogs. I couldn't figure out how Santa got in the house without the dogs barking their heads off. My Gram said its because the dogs know a nice man when they see one. I thought well our neighbor is a nice man but they bark at him.
good thinking !!! the mysterys of Christmas when we were younger
Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM

We were just laughing ourselves sick over this on Christmas Eve. When our Granny was alive, Christmas Eve dinner was at her home for anyone that could make it. 6pm on the dot, food began being served. My brother that is 50 now, was 10 one particular year & Granny was getting confused as to who was how old by then. LOL My 10 yr old brother got terry cloth training pants while the brother that is 15 months older, got a toy train. LOL She meant well & would always have a gift for whoever came to her house for supper on Christmas Eve, BUT....ya just never knew what that gift might be. LOL She died at 86 & was in the Nursing home as she didn't even know any of us by then.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 AM

Going to granny's to have Christmas. She had one of those silver trees with a colored light that rotated around to shine a different color. Would sit and watch the tree. All the cousins, aunts and uncles, we would at Thanksgiving get to draw someone's name, then we would exchange on Christmas day. The meal then consisted of,Big pot of homemade vegetable beef soup, homemade bread, it was the BEST ever. Still remember to this day.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM

My happiest memories were the years when I lived with my grandparents and my grandfather and I (no one else allowed) decorated the Christmas tree. He made these events not just a memorable holiday event, but one of the most memorable times of my lifetime and I am now 80 years old. He made me feel like the most special little girl in the whole world.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 PM

My memories were of my Grandparents coming over to our house Christmas Day. We would open presents when they got there. They always came with presents for us. My Grandfather would tell us Santa left them at their house so they brought them over to us. I love stuffed animals and usually got a new one each year. I also loved to read, so I loved getting books. We would have a big Christmas dinner cooked by my Mom and Dad and play games in the afternoon. I always hated to see the day end, it was so much fun. One of my favorite gifts was my Susie Homemaker Oven. Boy, I baked cakes, brownies, and cookies in that oven for quite a few years.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Getting the tree up and waiting for the bubble lights to heat up!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
Daddy had been hurt in a farming accident so there wasn't a lot of extra money. Mom and Dad had always told us that they had to pay Santa so that he could afford to have all the hay and oats shipped in to feed the reindeer. Being farm kids we understood that. Mom told us that she could only afford to spend $5 on each of us so we should pick something that cost $5 or less. OH NO! The little stuffed dalmation I wanted was $7! When the store owner asked me if I was going to have Santa bring me "Freckles" (I'd already named him) for Christmas, I explained the whole story. He listened intently and just nodded as though he understood completely. Imagine my surprize on Christmas morning when Freckles was waiting for me under the tree! Not only did I get the dog but a neighbor had given mom a large teenage doll that her daughter didn't want and mom had made lots of clothes for her. I don't remember what my younger brothers had asked for but the neighbor had also given mom some like-new toy tractors and farm equipment that her boys had outgrown. Even though money was tight and we thought we weren't going to have a very big Christmas it was one of the best ever.

What a wonderful story.

Mine, now I realize was my Mother decorating the xmas tree, she died 3 months later at 27 and I was only 3 1/2.