Where You Live

Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 PM

I was raised in Missoula, Montana -- beautiful country but tough winters. I spent 25 years in Boise, Idaho, and loved it there. Didn't realize how much, tho, until I left. We've been in Honolulu nearly 15 years.

We love Hawaii and the weather is fabulous (most of the time). The humidity can be tough, but the tradewinds help. Of course, the beaches are close no matter where you are.

The drawbacks are that it is SO expensive. Nearly everything has to be shipped in. Try paying $8 for a gallon of milk! My house in Boise would cost over $1 million here. Home lots are measured by the foot. So houses are very close together. Everybody knows what their neighbors are up to.

We plan to retire in a year to two and return to the mainland, probably Boise. Unless a person is independently wealthy or their mortgage is paid off, it's tough to retire here. And the real reason is that there's only 3 true quilt shops on the entire flippin island!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 PM

Funny you should ask because tonight on the way home from going out to dinner, I told my hubby that I never regretted, even for one day, that we chose this town. It is a college town with lots of cultural things going on and young people around.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
I was raised in Missoula, Montana -- beautiful country but tough winters. I spent 25 years in Boise, Idaho, and loved it there. Didn't realize how much, tho, until I left. We've been in Honolulu nearly 15 years.

We love Hawaii and the weather is fabulous (most of the time). The humidity can be tough, but the tradewinds help. Of course, the beaches are close no matter where you are.

The drawbacks are that it is SO expensive. Nearly everything has to be shipped in. Try paying $8 for a gallon of milk! My house in Boise would cost over $1 million here. Home lots are measured by the foot. So houses are very close together. Everybody knows what their neighbors are up to.

We plan to retire in a year to two and return to the mainland, probably Boise. Unless a person is independently wealthy or their mortgage is paid off, it's tough to retire here. And the real reason is that there's only 3 true quilt shops on the entire flippin island!!!
We lived in Hawaii for 6 1/2 years, and loved it. I took Hawaiian quilt classes at the Bishop Museum from Deborah Kakalia. She was a master teacher and she taught me how to design and cut and thread bast quilts. I was given a certificate to come to the mainland to teach and use her patterns. I just happened to see a Hawaiian site on here and checked it out and saw where the first quilt I made(king size) in worth $8000. Good grief!!! I had no idea how it had increased in value. You will notice my email name is "mshawii". Suggested by some Internet friends when I first started doing email and needed a name.
You will find 3 quilt shops in Boise.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by mshawii
Originally Posted by hulahoop1

We lived in Hawaii for 6 1/2 years, and loved it. I took Hawaiian quilt classes at the Bishop Museum from Deborah Kakalia. She was a master teacher and she taught me how to design and cut and thread bast quilts. I was given a certificate to come to the mainland to teach and use her patterns. I just happened to see a Hawaiian site on here and checked it out and saw where the first quilt I made(king size) in worth $8000. Good grief!!! I had no idea how it had increased in value. You will notice my email name is "mshawii". Suggested by some Internet friends when I first started doing email and needed a name.
You will find 3 quilt shops in Boise.
I've only managed wallhanging-size Hawaiian applique' and really enjoy it. Congrats on your efforts. I've been to the stores in Boise (I still have family there and visit often.) and really enjoy shopping there.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 PM

I love Alaska.....in the Summer. The rest of the year it is rough dealing with the cold, ice and snow. I have reached that age where the cold really bother the arthritis.
We are hoping to move to the lower 48 soon. DH is looking to land a job before we leave. Hope it is very soon as the cold is coming quickly this year.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM

To Navy Wife, I lived in Memphis all of my life. The last 22 years we lived in Germantown because of crime and crappy schools in Mphs. My husband and I were transferred to Texas 2 years ago. I have to tell you things are worse in Mphs. My husband was a deputy for Shelby Co. and the crime was totally out of control.It's a shame that my hometown was such an excellent place to grow up and the musical history[Elvis&Blues] was so great in the fifties and sixties. We still have family and friends there but my kids have moved to Colorado and will never move back. I don't think we will when it comes time for retirement.It was so cool growing up with people like Johnnie Cash singing in our church choir and seeing Elvis ride around on his motorcycle. Memphis was at one time known as the cleanest city in the world.My, how times have changed.Diane
Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 AM

What wonderful memories you have, diane, and how sad it is that Memphis (along with MOST of towns, cities) is changing. My hometown is like that; like the saying goes "you can never go back" That is one of the reasons I started this thread - to learn if everyplace is like that or just a few. Hometown cemetary in Spfld, Ill where Lincoln is buried has been having ALOT of vandalism - parents and GP, etc are there and the graves are really suffering. Even Lincoln's tomb had graffiti all over it. Sign of the times? Scary what the next generation will be facing.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM

I do not love where I live but I don't hate it either, but I am greatful that my son and daughtern in law bought a house with a mother in law apartment in the basement, so I have a place to live and someone to help me on my bad days. I have always dreamed of moving back to Az. or Washington but since my dh passed away that is out of the question now. So like I said I am greatfull to be living here even if I dont care for the area
Old 10-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I've lived here in the same house in New Jersey for over 55 years, orginally from Brooklyn, NYC, and haven't any desire to move. It's not perfect here but we like it.

Of course, if I hit a jackpot lottery I'd live everywhere, city, country, beach, mountains, US, tropical island, etc., but that's only dream talk. Anyway, I'm too old to make a big change, nice and comfy right here. May in Jersey
where in NJ, I was born there, Eastern portion in Paterson, moved and lived in Butler many years. I now live in Eastern AZ
Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
I love where I live. Small town! I do miss some of the shops. I have lived here for about 2 1/2 years. Came from another small town in CA so this is nothing new. Wish family lived closer.
wow, White, AZ, now that is a small town, I am in Eagar