Where You Live

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

I have been here for 41 years and always wanted to move. Not that I don't like it, just never thought of this as 'home' even though I graduated from high school here and my children were born here. I actually like it better now...3 of my daughters are here and 6 of my grandkids. Love my job and our church family. I wish we got a little more rain and things were a little greener, but the desert has a unique kind of beauty and absolutely fabulous sunsets. Could be a little closer to a city....gotta drive 100 miles to really go shopping.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM

I like where I live. I live in lower Michigan but it has grown up in the last 10 years. If I move I would like more country.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

I love my home, I love my backyard view and love being away from the big city. But that said, Walgreens is the biggest store in town and we are fighting for a Walmart. We moved here 6 years ago. I was excited that it was our first home. Just as soon as we were getting to know our neighbors, they left - foreclosures. So, I don't have many friends and I treasure the very few I have. We are originally from Southern California and our families currently live there. I hate driving, but I don't mind the 4 1/2 hour drive to my Mama's house. When we retire, we would like to find an in-between like Santa Barbara. But, if the Lord takes my Mama first, I would want to live in Pacific Northwest near our daughter. But, I am in love with Placerville. I guess, I am what my mother calls me, a gypsy.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM

I've lived in this state my whole life. I stayed when I was younger to be around my grandparents (they raised me). After they passed, I stayed and took care of my mother, til she passed. Now my DH works for the county and I have a job here that has weathered the recession well. I love the seasons, but as I get older, the winters seem to be getting longer. I'd like to retire in 6 years and just work from home, if my health holds out. I guess I'm staying.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Aw thanks Jamey -
As for the rest of you who are not in "hiding" It is amazing that the majority are from southern California or the Pacific NW. As for me, I really long for the foothills of California myself - really miss old friends, and the ability to shop when I want to - here we have WM and have to drive 50 minutes for nicer restaurants, better groceries, doctors. Who thought that we were gonna get old only 8 short years ago! Our friend here that moved from CA keeps telling me that I am turning into a HERMIT! What can I say, she is right!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM

I live in Michigan and the only thing I would like to see more of is mountains. We love to travel, but it is always nice to get home. Couldn't move if I wanted to. Couldn't bear to be away from family. Home is where the family is, i guess.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM

I love were I live. The winters are a bit to long and the summer is to short and when it's hot there is most of the time a lot humidity. If I could replace my country into Spain I would do it right away. But I don't want to move, I love Holland with it's really free mind way of thinking about almost every thing. I love to be near the beach (North See) and I love it that our country is so small you can drive trough it in about 3 of 4 hours. I like to be in Spain of Greece but I love coming home. :)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM

I love east Tennessee. We live in a small but growing town. It's growing a little too fast for me, but I can handle that. My DH and I moved every 2 or 3 years for 23 years. We settled in Memphis and thought we would be there the rest of our lives. But, like most big cities, the druggies and murderers and robbers began to take over. The schools went downhill in a hurry and I began to barricade myself in the house during the day, and was afraid to go to the mall. When DH retired from UT Memphis, we couldn't leave fast enough! We have been here for 18 years. I have lots of friends, I love my church and am involved in choir. My neighbors are great. We built the house and I love it, but wish I had one more room besides the bonus room. I sit on my back porch and look at the Smokies amd the Chilhowees and I love it! The leaves are starting to turn and in a month it will be breathtaking. What more could you ask for? Quilt shops? There are 6 within 30 miles!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM

When we don't feel safe in our own home/neighborhood that says alot, Navy. With so many things changing lately, the crime was one of the things that needs to be addressed. Thanks for responding
Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 AM

I've lived in West Michigan all my life.All
the kids and grand are here so guess this is
where I'll stay. I love all the seasons, Fall
being my favorite.