Where You Live

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM

I like where I live, nice wide open spaces , great views and very quiet. But my dream home would be a cottage by the sea, white picket fence and garden and strolls daily to the water.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM

You are describing Pismo Beach, California...............

Originally Posted by farmerswife
I like where I live, nice wide open spaces , great views and very quiet. But my dream home would be a cottage by the sea, white picket fence and garden and strolls daily to the water.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 PM

As much as I love to travel and could sit for hours and look at the ocean, I can't imagine not living in East Tennessee. I love it here. The thought of not really being able to see the seasons change each year would be unthinkable. That said, I would love to retire a little further east to the Smokies mountains. As much as we love to look at the ocean we love our mountains and can just sit for ages and watch them change over and over.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM

I am originally from the Black Hills of SD, where the temperature can get as high as 125* in the shade in mid July. My hay fever allergies were bad there.
Moved to the north-western Nebraska in 1994, and it wasn't bad, but the wind would blow across Wyoming and push us in to Iowa.
Eventually I ended up in the Turtle Mountains of ND, where the days are long and the high may of made it to 88*-90* this summer. My hayfever allergies are tolable here. And if it snows, I can count on a snowday or two from work and quilt all day long if I want, cause it's not a surprise to get 12"-20" in snow in a storm.
My oldest daughter lives in Rapid City, and to see my grandbabies there, is nearly a 10 hour drive. My son and family live in Anchorage, AK. and if my husband had his way, we would of moved there 2 years ago. My other daughter lives near the border of Washington and Idaho. We have one son that lives 25 miles away and another that lives on the border of Minnesota and ND. So you can see, I am use to driving or flying. Which has the plus of doing a lot of Quilt shop hoppin'.
Now the kicker to this.........is that within the next 2 months we are moving to south western North Dakota, where the wind blows, the snow flies and it's hot. Not looking forward to this, but I go where my DH goes. But the plus side, grandbabies will only be about a 2 1/2 hour drive now. And I drive that to get to a JoAnn's now.
So no, If I had my druthers, I would stay here because of the temperature, the beauty of the hills and my very large quilting room and anticipate the drive to RC to see DGC.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM

I do not like where I live. It's cold and dreary in the winter and summers are way too short. So need to be near a beach to be happy. Left the area several times but parents that weren't well brought us back. Unfortunately, now my three adult children are entrenched here so if I want to be near family I will have to stay.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM

I love NC, born and raised. We live in the country, plenty of fresh air, wildlife, no traffic and few people. I do have to drive 10 miles to a grocery store, but hey, I seldom meet another car!!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Eh, I could take it or leave it if it weren't for my three daughters being within 5 minutes with 4 of our 6 grandchildren. The other two grandchildren are in Georgia with their parents, where we are now, visiting. I could NEVER live in this heat.

I live in Rochester, NY and don't like the neighborhood because everyone is so unfriendly but I do like my house and my brand new kitchen. The only drawback is it is big and two floors. I would love to find a ranch far away from anyone and have a big sewing room with a long-arm. Only an inheritance from a rich relative would make that possible....I'm waiting!!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Just moved to Colorado last year. Came from Illinois and don't miss the weather one bit. Should have made the move sooner. Everyday is a beautiful day here.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Interesting - it seems like family and weather are the main factors as to if you love it or not.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Lived here all my life and as soon as I retire, I'm gone. Want to see the world before God calls me to his home.