Who has the money?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM

No spending here, we saved all year to buy Christmas as it is. I bought my hubby one big present (the Nook he wanted), he bought me one big present (the FW I wanted) and then we had to buy for the two boys and their significant others. So after that we are all out. It is all we can do on one income and a small (very small) retirement check.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:12 PM

I have just a little bit of cash left this year and hope to make it to our LQS before all the 1/2 price Christmas fabric is gone. We got 14 inches of snow on Sunday so I haven't been out and about since Christmas. The only other planned purchase is a my K-cup so DH can use his own coffee in the Keurig we got from his parents. If there is any other extra money after bills I may get a few pairs of sweats for my son. Don't need any Christmas items- butdo think they are usually smart after Christmas purchases. I already have way too much gift wrap, cards, and decorations.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM

DH and I set our Christmas buying budget and stick to it. This year I have noticed quite a few really good sales, but with some extra expenses (non-Christmas related) I just cannot take advantage of them. We live within our means. Next year I am going to include after-Christmas shopping in the budget.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 PM

I used to be all about the after Christmas sales. I would buy gifts to hang on to for the next year to help save money and I had more wrapping paper than I could ever use. I found myself buying way too much stuff that wasn't even necessary just because it was in clearance. I don't do that anymore.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 PM

I haven't done any after-Christmas shopping. I really don't like shopping. Long ago I started adding a few new ornaments each year during the season, only if on sale and I really liked. Now I have lots of beautiful ornaments that all somehow coordinate, though I can't quite say how. I'm not much on going all out on decorating cause I hate the clean-up and I'm not an ostentatious person (jeans and tee shirts).

I figure Christ didn't have lots of stuff at Christmas, so we don't need lots. In fact, my children get up to three gifts only. I try to be fair in that we spend about the same on each, but there will not be more than three gifts, regardless of the amount.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 PM
mim

I figure if I stay out of the stores, I won't spend what I can't afford and don't really NEED anyhow

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't do the after Christmas shopping. I can barely afford Christmas shopping. I know ppl who do and they couldn't figure out why I don't.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 PM

I hate to shop and I hate crowds, so after Christmas shopping is not for me.

But the real reason is that the best sales are on Christmas stuff and since I hate clutter, I can't stand to buy stuff that will just sit around waiting to be used in a year.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Remember the big WHITE SALES back in the day, when the big department stores would have their big linen sales in January? That is when I would spend and spend,, that was of course before Walmart and Target. LOL
Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM

I don't go near stores or shopping malls for a while after the holidays. Most everything seems to be picked over and the stores seem to bring out their old merchandise to get rid of. I will, however, look at fabric stores hehe.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 PM

I don't go to the sales unless I am looking for something specific that I saw while Christmas shopping and know it will be on sale.