Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
I had a brother embroidery machine that crapped out a couple of years ago. I was very disappointed. I just ordered a Janome 200E (didn't want to put a ton of money in it because of my bad experience) with a maintenance agreement. I can't wait to get it and get starting making beautiful designs like you all are showing here. I hope it isn't too complicated. I recall a learning curve on the former one.
I am so sorry you had problems with your Brother machine. I have used Brother for over 20 years, from bottom of the line to to top of the line with very new problems. Brother has a very good warranty on their machines, so I am surprised that it was not repaired. I have never had to to purchase a maintenance agreement from Brother, and I also never bought one from Janome either when I bought their machines. The Brothers that I own have 20 year warranties and my Janome had a 15 year, that is why I am wondering why you have to purchase maintance agreements. I hope you enjoy your new machine and have great success.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by IzzysGrammie View Post
I recently bought a Husqvarna Topaz 20 and took a couple lessons to learn how it thinks. My advice is to contact the dealer, make an appointment for a whole afternoon, and take your book and write notes. I would have never figure this machine out on my own. It's so different from the Janome Memory Craft 8000 I used for years and years. ( Well actually, I burned thru 2 Janomes!) But the good thing about this Husky is that my Janome designs were re-programmed from design cards into the language for the Husky and now I have them downloaded to my flash drive straight to the new machine. I had spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the Janome designs and just throwing that out was not an option for me. So now I not only have all of them, but I can buy great designs for very cheap on embroiderylibrary.com also.
If you just recently got the Topaz 20 were you able to also get the Free 5D software. If you didn't and it has been a short time you can email Viking and tell them how upset you are that you didn't get it and I've known them to go ahead and give it. I did that when I bought the 5D Pro and a few months they upgraded the one part and said if you registered after a certain date you got the upgrade for free. I missed it by only a month or two and the person selling it already knew of the upgrade or I would have waited to register it. They were great; they apoligized and sent me the link for the free upgrade. I was shocked. I'm excited to see what 6D has in it; it comes out in Sept and anyone who buys 5D prior to the release will get a free upgrade to 6. Pretty good. Love my software.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 AM

when I got my Topaz I got the 5d organizer not the 5d embroidery software
Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
when I got my Topaz I got the 5d organizer not the 5d embroidery software
All of Vikings come withe organizier. This is the 5D Emb; not the extra. It gives a little more and if you just got the 30 then you get the Extra. Here is the link for the special. I would only try to get the free if I had bought it in the past couple of months or so.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/Promos
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Banned

After downloading and converting the free monthly Floriani designs
I stitched one of the designs out.

Of course I am making a small wall hanging for my daughter and since
pink is her "signature" (favorite) color I chose to do the designs in pink.

Yes I know pink is not a traditional Christmas color but I got to make it
special for my daughter.

Thinking of making something like this for the other two girls if I can find
the right fabrics to do it in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]429752[/ATTACH]

Normally I wouldn't do something like this on fabric in the same color
group, but I wanted to "test" out the tonal effect of it.
Attached Thumbnails dscn2605.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 PM

In spite of the fact that a good friend had mentioned this thread (a very long time ago), I had apparently forgotten, even though I frequent other areas of the QB, until I saw it mentioned in another thread. I purchased a used Pfaff 2170 about 2-3 years ago and since the local dealer won't give lessons (I did offer to pay) I remain absolutely terrified of the embroidery part of the machine. I have never been afraid of anything like this before. I thought that learning about computers was terrifying but it was nothing compared to the Pfaff and I am quite adept with computers now. I thought the book that came with my Pfaff would help me learn but it might as well be written in Greek. I usually am able to follow written instructions but these baffle me as there is no logic to the various aspects of the machine to me even at the machine with book in hand. I am sure some of you must have this machine. I have only the 3D (not the suite...just the basic) and will never spend the outrageous amount of money that it costs to "upgrade" to 4,5,or 6D. I joined the Yahoo group for the machine but since I have only 3D, it is nearly a waste of time since most have 4 or 5D and hardly anything relates to 3D. I like the machine for sewing well enough (but I still like my Bernina 1130 better). I have used the (built in) lettering (which stinks for making quilt labels) once for a quilt label and twice for larger lettering on Christmas stockings. I can't afford something to resize or convert lettering (into satin stitches) to the size needed for quilt labels, my primary reason for buying the machine. Sorting through some program letter by letter doesn't interest me. I should be able to type in what I want on my computer and transfer it to the machine. Unfortunately, the person who sold the machine to me told me I had everything I needed...NOT. What do you folks who have this machine do/use? Embird is not in my budget. I appreciate advice from all but especially those who own this machine. Thanks!

Last edited by blueheavenfla; 08-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:48 AM

Blueheavenfla; I'm so sorry you are having all of these problems. I have Viking which uses the same software and if you only bought your machine from a dealer a few yrs ago it should of came with 4D at least. Its been over 2yrs since I bought the Ruby and it had just switched to 5D, I'd assume that Pfaff uses the same guide lines since its the same com. Here is what Viking post on thier site about 3D and 4D:
4D Software Updates
If you purchased your Husqvarna Viking 3D Professional Embroidery System after April 1, 2006, you will be entitled to a free upgrade to the Husqvarna Viking 4D Professional Embroidery System; check your details in the VSM Software Product Registration Database. Please ensure your authorized dealer details are also correct, as in most cases your
This should also include the organizier which Viking like Pfaff includes with all of their machines. When I got my Ruby it said it came with 5D but the CD was for 4D, I contacted them and they said it was the same but had no problem sending me the 5D cd. Also if you go to http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US and go under find a store you can find all of the Viking stores in your area; most of them now offer classes on Pfaff and do offer classes on the software. Its worth a shot. Our dealer does both now. mrpatience.com has tutorials on the 4D organizier so maybe you can find some info there that would also help you with 3D; I'm not sure. Just throwing suggestions out to you. I would never buy anything from your dealer. I tell everyone that having the right dealer is as important as having the right machine. You have the right machine but no support. Viking even tells you that with all of thier machines and software you get classes so at the least I'd report your dealer and find out if you can do anything about it. Good luck and I hope you get to enjoy your machine. I love embroidery and do more of it than quilting lately. I have upgraded to the Diamond Deluxe and can't think of an easier thing to do. I do take classes but lately there are alot that I don't go to because I know the technique being done.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

I may not have been clear, my Pfaff was a used machine. The local Viking dealer won't give lessons on Pfaff (new or used as they sell neither) and the Pfaff dealer won't give lessons on my used machine even though I offered to pay for classes. My software is 3D, basic, not the suite. After Christmas, I believe a friend who has both Brother and Bernina Emb. machines will try to figure mine out and help me understand it. I thought the person from whom I purchased the machine would give me a quick lesson but all she did was say how to use the threader. It has been an expensive lesson. I probably should never have purchased a used machine. Live and learn, as they say...LOL. I have lived long enough that I should have learned that lesson many years ago.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Recently I happened upon a video on YouTube for a machine I have had for several years. It had wonderful information on features I had not ever used. Have you done a search there using your machine brand and model? Certainly not as wonderful as a one to one but pretty good.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Check out you tube videos and google the topic you want to try out with the machine. I had thought long and hard about buying a used machine or one from the Internet as I assumed that using an embroidery machine would be complicated. So I bought a brand new Horizon 120000 at a sewing shop 45 min away. Was I ever surprised that after watching free videos and reading books that I was able to do a rather complex design with multiple thread changes. I have yet to take a class. Just not sure what I would get out of them. Maybe if I had the digitizing software I would want a class but for now, I am happy happy happy. If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I would have purchased a used machine.