Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Swap Hosts

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Anna Bove embroidery about a stabilizer sale. The price looked great - 24 inches by 100 yard for $26.82 -- and I bought some. I have to say it works fabulously. The best light weight tear away I've used. Anyway, the sale is only on for one more day ... so take a peek http://www.annaboveembroidery.com/te...abilizers.html
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 AM

I was going to order some, but I thought the shipping was way out of line. With the price of gas I enjoy ordering on-line, but not when the shipping is $19 on a $26 item! I was very interested until I saw that.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Swap Hosts

Yikes! I paid way less than that, but I guess it's because I'm much closer to her.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 AM

I am trying to figure out if I want to do embroidery, to invest in a machine, etc. I have a couple questions: Can a person set an embroidery pattern up, and use the stitching in such a way that instead of embroidery, it will quilt my project? Is that practical?

Will my initial investment in a machine continue on and on with special thread, and other things that I will need? Finances are a concern.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Swap Hosts

Yes, you can quilt with an embroidery machine. There are additional expenses in the form of thread and stabilizer for certain projects, but you can always find bargains on both. If you decide to take the plunge I would advise getting an embroidery only machine with at least a 5x7 hoop. I made the mistake of getting a machine that does both and only had a 4x4 as my first machine. I loved it, but was so limited.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
Has anyone with the Janome 9000 had trouble with the bobbin thread showing on the front when embroidering? i ruined several designs because the white thread was all pulled to the front. i could use the same thread in the bobbin but that gets pricey and i think wasteful. A local Janome dealer told me to use serger thread in the bobbin, but do i
dont have every color in that kind of thread.

i had this same problem last week. I took out the bobbin, put it back in the machine, rethreaded the thread and it fixed it. joan
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mmb195152 View Post
I am trying to figure out if I want to do embroidery, to invest in a machine, etc. I have a couple questions: Can a person set an embroidery pattern up, and use the stitching in such a way that instead of embroidery, it will quilt my project? Is that practical?

Will my initial investment in a machine continue on and on with special thread, and other things that I will need? Finances are a concern.
A lot of people quilt with their embroidery machines. I have a baby quilt for my granddaughter; a 3D pinwheel that I've stitched in the ditch with and now I'm going to embroidery some designs on just to give it some added interest plus help make sure its more durable. A lot of web sites sell quilting designs and some people make their own. I'm just getting into it but you can do so much. My best advice is to check out several ones (I love my Viking Ruby) before you decide. I got mine slightly used (only 7hrs, your machine keeps track) from a dealer and get lots of support and monthly lessons. We've done coin purses with a zipper and key holder on it; all in the hoop, I learned how to make greeting cards for Christmas and ornaments and wall hangings. This month we are making the market baskets. We are taking the rectangled type baskets with double metal handles on them and embroidering designs and or our names on the sides. I'm excited how that will work out. Next month she's doing a special class for making a table runner using the cutwork needles. There is just so much to do. If you check out some emboridery sites; like emblibary.com and look under the project and the stitchers showcase to see some of the things that can be done it's really cool. Good luck on your descision. I'm really happy that I got mine. Even if you decide to get a used one you can still take the classes; I know that our LQS only charges 40 a yr and the monthly cost for supplies.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
you know, i'm really enjoying this thread and since we are on page 53, i suppose there are a lot of us enjoying it. Just wonder if our administrators could make this a separate section? I have it bookmarked, but would love to find the thread with one click!

amen!!
Joan
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Swap Hosts

Has anyone asked PatriceJ?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 AM

When I had this issue.. it was because the tension was not right. I never touched the tension on the machine at all, but I had to wind the bobbins differently. The little tension thingy on top of your machine, wind the thread around that two or three times, before you wind your bobbin. Wow was I amazed at the difference in how my embroidery looks. Even designs I thought looked excellent... look even better. I also noticed by how many stiches I can get out of a bobbin now compared to before. I was having to change bobbins so much before..but not now. The bobbins hold much more thread now. Here are the same exact design.. the only thing I did different between the two was the bobbin winding.
Attached Thumbnails before.jpg   after.jpg