Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry! >

"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
The fact that you are using the light table at her workplace puts you in untenable situation. Stay home and copy it on a window facing the sun.
I agree with this. Personally I wouldn't mind since I would be using her space and equipment. She may have a pattern in the future you may want.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
This topic has come up a few times, friends who want/assume they can use patterns that they know you have and the controversy with regard to the designer's rights to the pattern, not to mention the markup the retailer would have received, and the printer (etc).

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

Just curious - not judgemental. I've bought used books here and I guess now I'm questioning it.
Excellent point. If we profit from it, it seems okay and even 'fair' to share. I never looked at it in this light before. Thanks for that perspective. :D

As for the original question as to what to say to your friend about sharing the pattern, I think if it bothers you to share it, then don't. Simply tell her it goes against your sense of right and wrong. If she's a true friend, she will accept and respect your sensibility on this.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Banned

When she said "we" do you think she really meant she would get to trace her own or was it an offer to help you as she did offer her space and equipment? You are the only one who can really know this since you know her personality and her facial expressions and tone.

If you really believe that she means to share the pattern maybe you can say "yes it was X amoutn of dollars - are we splitting it equially or is there some offsent for me using your table?"....

I don't have a problem sharing this stuff - yes I know all about copy right laws but I'm generally not selling my stuff - I'm spending my money and giving it all away....

Sticky situation - sorry your there!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
This topic has come up a few times, friends who want/assume they can use patterns that they know you have and the controversy with regard to the designer's rights to the pattern, not to mention the markup the retailer would have received, and the printer (etc).

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

Just curious - not judgemental. I've bought used books here and I guess now I'm questioning it.
You brought up a very good point.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 AM

I am ambivalent about this. You are profiting from her light box usage and the manufacturer of that is losing out on money and you dont feel bad about that. I think it is what you agreed to as friends. She feels she is swapping. If you dont feel the same way dont use her light box.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I would say, ....I don't want to copy the pattern, that's not legal and the quilt shop owner could get in lots of trouble.

I would not use the light box at that shop at all.

I share my quilting tools, I'm not hung up on being that righteous, but I wouldn't use a store's tools unless it was advertised as free to use.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Don't it seem that we all know someone like that? I went to a mitering class and bought all the rulers, etc. It was money well spent. Well one of my friends said, "Well, you went and liked it, now you can show me. I don't have time to take a class, besides who would want to waste the money". I have yet to find time to show her. People assume alot and a there is a huge difference between a friend and an acquaintance.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Wow, I'm guess I'm the odd jerk...I'd let her use it. Of course I'd never do anything like make copies and sell them or distribute/make public (as on the internet), but sharing with a friend? You betcha.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Well, if she gave you $6 then she would legally become the co-owner of the pattern, and would then have the same rights as you. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Just kidding, although I think it is a valid point.
MTS, I like your thinking, good point and thought.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 AM

What would be the diference between lending out of public library and a personal library? Just my thoughts.
I have lent many books both quilting and non -quilting from my personal library.