Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • color choices for a baby quilt for a boy... >
  • color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

• color choices for a baby quilt for a boy...

Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 AM

When my very special niece had her first baby boy, I made a quilt quite a bit bigger than normal baby size, so her son could use it for years. The pattern I used had a variety of blocks in it. I used many, many fabrics - not any pastels. There were approximately three blues in the light to dark royal family, two or three bright springy greens, two oranges, three yellows, a little bit of white. My niece absolutely loved that quilt. I was nervous to do something so unconventional, but I'm glad I did.

My guess is she will get a lot of pastel babyish things. Give her something different!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Last September, my niece had a beautiful baby boy. She chose sage greens, browns, monkeys, etc for his nursery, so naturally, I gave her a baby quilt with blues and yellows and paper pieced rubber duckies! It's YOUR gift to the baby, use the colors, etc that YOU like!
    Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM

I LOVE blacks and brights for baby quilts! One friend who got one said her baby used to stare at the quilt and giggle all the time! He's almost 3 now and still loves it. Find a great black/bright print and fill in your brights from that.
    Old 04-16-2011, 06:28 AM

if she wants baby blue, teal and light green... then use Curealan, Aqua, and Kelly green! it would be FAB!!!
    Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 AM

I made my DGS a quilt with bold primary colors I appliqued dump truck, hard hat ,toolbox with tools, jack hammer trencher,hard hat ,got design ideas from border and went with it.Made it big enough to transfer to big boy bed and he loves it.I would however go with colors of baby's room if possible.
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
    I'd prefer your choices. I made my nephew a cute quilt in green,blue and brown and he loves it! I don't think all baby quilts have to be pastels.
    I agree wholeheartedly! All the quilts I made for my grandchildren when they were born and toddling said "little girl/boy" not "baby," although I used "baby" fabric for the backing on the first (coming home from the hospital) quilts. The "not baby" fabrics turned out to be a good choice, because as they get "older" (they're almost 4 and 6 - "Grandmommy, I'm older now..."), they quickly ferret out "baby" stuff because they're "not babies any more." All the quilts I've ever made for them are still in active use.

I've attached photos of my grandson's quilt - with my apologies for not having taken photos when they were finished and not five-plus years afterwards!

I bought some "baby" fabric I liked and used it to make doll quilts, which is a nice compromise.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-185051.jpe  
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM

I like using bright solids for my baby quilts. I use all the colors of the rainbow. Using little yellow and white because it shows stains. Since these bright fabrics work well for girls/boys quilts I always keep them in my stash, handy when I need them.
    Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 AM

I don't tend to go with "baby" colors as they are babies for such a short time. My grandson will be 6 in June and he still loves his "blankie" gramma made him. I am going to make him a rag quilt shortly with fun "big boy" prints in it. He will be able to use it for years to come when I make him a "manly" quilt. Time just flies............
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
    I'd prefer your choices. I made my nephew a cute quilt in green,blue and brown and he loves it! I don't think all baby quilts have to be pastels.
    What she said.
    Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    I LOVE blacks and brights for baby quilts! One friend who got one said her baby used to stare at the quilt and giggle all the time! He's almost 3 now and still loves it. Find a great black/bright print and fill in your brights from that.
    I think this is an awesome idea. Most people love this color combination. It is classic. And would be great not only for a baby, but for all ages. Maybe like some bright colors sashed in jet black.