Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
deposit to service a machine?? >

deposit to service a machine??

deposit to service a machine??

Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by IngeMK
So I took my Janome 6600 and an older Kenmore to my dealer for service..... I almost had to laugh, they asked for $25.00 Deposit on the work. Really? I leave over $1500.00 worth of machines there and have to pay 25 bucks???? Do they think I won't pick them up??
I'm more amused than anything, BUT is this normal to do for a shop?
Dealers don't know up front what might be involved in fixing a machine, and the $25 should cover their cost of tearing it apart to find what's wrong. Would you expect them to work for free? Many times people don't want to have a machine fixed and just dump it at the dealers. So, then they've spent their time finding out what's wrong, and then perhaps having to get rid of a machine (which in some areas does involve a cost) or fixing a used machine they won't get their money out of. I'll bet it is easier for them to say everyone pays $25, than to have different policies for different people.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM

Although my shop does not ask for a deposit, I would not be offended if they did and would pay it. They are taking their time and money to see what is wrong with a machine and if the customer decides they do not want the work done, then they at least have the deposit monies.

On the other hand, there is humor in what you say about not bailing out your baby. However, not everyone can bail out their baby by the amount of machines left in the shop for months on end. Go figure!

When I had my diamond wedding ring band squared off, I had to leave a deposit. Balance was paid when I picked up the ring. Considering the price of gold, the $50 deposit was minimal. Happy to pay it.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 AM

You are right to question. Your machine is valuable.
I put a little dab of fingernail polish on the inside of my machines to guarantee that I get the right one back.
D in TX
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM

They put in the labor, parts and their time. You are going to pay that much anyway to have it cleaned, repaired etc. So - I think it would not bother me to pay $25.00 in advance for work to be done. I wonder how many repair shops have machines that they have repaired and people have not gone in to get them.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM

I don't know if it is normal now or not, but I was very surprised when asked to leave a $150 deposit when having a
$5,000 machine serviced.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM

I don't know if it is normal now or not, but I was very surprised when asked to leave a $150 deposit when having a
$5,000 machine serviced.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

personally I would be appalled...really a deposit for what...who in the right mind is NOT going to go pick up their machines???

and even with older machines, if they don't come back, you are still not OUT anything...you have a viable piece of merchandise that you can resell on this board, ebay, CL, etc...so really...a deposit for you work....why....

I think they WE should require a receipt that says they have the merchandise and what condition it was in when we left it with them. How many have gotten machines back with more issues then when they were left? Or how about this one,,the feet are missing, the power cord gone...I have seen all these issues and more...so be sure you ask for something in writing saying you left ALL Of those parts with the machine when you dropped it off to be cleaned/repaired!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
An older shop in my town has started requesting down payments for service. When I asked why, the owner told me that they have benn having lots of issues with people picking up their serviced machines and paying for them! So, he is out $ for the parts, $ for the service and is left storing their machines that he legally can't sell without major headaches. So, the deposit is a way of covering himself. I can understand how this could be a problem in this economy. Not everyone is turning in a machine worth thousands of dollars.
Makes some sense business wise. For me, I go into sewing machine withdrawals when either of my babies are in the shop for any reason!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 AM

I've never paid a deposit, seems a bit tacky to me.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 AM

I just paid 100.oo to have my Janome 10001 serviced, I get it back and it makes this funny noise and there is a weird wire sticking up down by the bobbin, Why I don't believe that was there before. So I take my machine to my Janome dealer and I have a broken bobbin case, 42.00 later. yikes!!
so I guess by all rights I should of taken it back to the guy that serviced itfor me, for him to make the correction. But he always makes you feel like you broke it, or really stupid.
So when I asked for them to pay the 42.oo she said no you should of brought it here first. and they would of said the machine was fine when it left here. and I still would of been out the 42.00. So I guess lesson learned.So make sure you get your machine back in good working order. If I would of tried it at the store, I would of questioned the noise.
Sorry this got a bit long.