Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag >

Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
JJs and Dodie,

I'm sorry if I offended you, or anyone else, but it just seems that a lot of people don't get it. People are complaining about copyright a lot on this thread, and writing about what they will and won't do, and the portions of copyright law that do and do not have "control" over them. Some people are also making it clear that they don't understand what a derivative work is.

If I was a professional designer reading this thread, I would be throwing my hands up in frustration and seriously considering throwing in the towel. I know that a lot of designers in many different crafting mediums have already done so because they are sick and tired of being ripped off by people who don't understand or don't care about copyright. It seems like there are a lot of people who fall into one of those two categories posting in this thread. I feel awful for those designers who work so hard and help bring me so many hours of enjoyment, and I want them to know that there are people out there who do care about their rights.

You may want me to stop correcting some people's misinterpretations and misinformation, but I suspect that there are some people who appreciate reading a clarification, rather than more complaints about how copyright laws just aren't fair. When people spread inaccurate information, it hurts everyone, and there have been a lot of inaccurate conclusions drawn and then spread in this thread.

I am not trying to be rude but I am seriously curious

Are you a copyright lawyer?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 PM

No, I'm not a lawyer. I am just a particularly well educated layperson when it comes to this topic. I've followed several copyright controversies closely over the years, particularly as they apply to the crafting industries. My understanding of copyright law has always matched what was published not only in the McCall's article, but also what has been published in many other forms in many other places, some linked to on this thread. There are many craft designers who have gone after copyright violators over the years, most often for photocopying designs, but also for sharing patterns, making derivative works without giving credit, and in some cases, for public display of works without getting permission. Different designers choose to enforce copyright laws to varying extents, and I've always been very interested in watching how and to what extent different designers and companies choose to protect their works.

My professional experience with copyright is related to the written word. While not a lawyer, I have been in a position to identify those who have committed plagiarism and work with them in an educational capacity to understand copyright, plagiarism, and how to fairly and legally navigate copyright law.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
you know, Mattee, WE GET IT you do not need to keep going on and on about the copyright - WE GET IT....
The problem - as I see it and IN MY OPINION ONLY - YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY AND I don't care...
is the stupidity of having to ask mommy if you can show the quilt that you made....
why force people to go to the stupid step of asking permission to show a quilt in a quilt show - why not PUT THE INFORMATION in with the pattern in the first place - either say, "once you have your quilt completed from this pattern, you are allowed to show your quilt at guild shows" or not.....
The other problem with the whole thing is the magazine or designers or even the copyright saying that you cannot make a DERIVATIVE work from a quilt pattern and claim it as your own - but in the VERY SAME ISSUE that the RULES are in are SEVERAL quilts "designed" using public domain blocks - DERIVATIVE WORKS from run of the mill, old, everyday quilts...

What makes one "designer" derivative quilt "ok" but the next person is not allowed???
This
Old 08-21-2010, 03:31 PM

No, I'm not a lawyer. I am just a particularly well educated layperson when it comes to this topic. I've followed several copyright controversies closely over the years, particularly as they apply to the crafting industries. My understanding of copyright law has always matched what was published not only in the McCall's article, but also what has been published in many other forms in many other places, some linked to on this thread. There are many craft designers who have gone after copyright violators over the years, most often for photocopying designs, but also for sharing patterns, making derivative works without giving credit, and in some cases, for public display of works without getting permission. Different designers choose to enforce copyright laws to varying extents, and I've always been very interested in watching how and to what extent different designers and companies choose to protect their works.

My professional experience with copyright is related to the written word. While not a lawyer, I have been in a position to identify those who have committed plagiarism and work with them in an educational capacity to understand copyright, plagiarism, and how to fairly and legally navigate copyright law.
Written word and crafting quilts though are different. The entire culture behind novel writing vs crafting quilts is also different.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:55 PM

very thankful that my subcription exspires with the next issue and wii not renew I have already called the other two and explained so that is 3 subscriptions they have lost why do I need their magazine if the patterns are off limits they have forgotten who butters their bread greed is the name of the game
Old 08-21-2010, 03:55 PM

JJs and Dodie,

I'm sorry if I offended you, or anyone else, but it just seems that a lot of people don't get it. People are complaining about copyright a lot on this thread, and writing about what they will and won't do, and the portions of copyright law that do and do not have "control" over them. Some people are also making it clear that they don't understand what a derivative work is.

If I was a professional designer reading this thread, I would be throwing my hands up in frustration and seriously considering throwing in the towel. I know that a lot of designers in many different crafting mediums have already done so because they are sick and tired of being ripped off by people who don't understand or don't care about copyright. It seems like there are a lot of people who fall into one of those two categories posting in this thread. I feel awful for those designers who work so hard and help bring me so many hours of enjoyment, and I want them to know that there are people out there who do care about their rights.

You may want me to stop correcting some people's misinterpretations and misinformation, but I suspect that there are some people who appreciate reading a clarification, rather than more complaints about how copyright laws just aren't fair. When people spread inaccurate information, it hurts everyone, and there have been a lot of inaccurate conclusions drawn and then spread in this thread.
This is only MY opinion, but I don't have a problem with the copyright laws, I just want them to be explained in plain English and let me know if I am truly breaking the law by making a quilt, giving it away and then it gets sold, or I make a quilt to be shown in a quilt show. I read a lot of web pages since this saga began, and 5 out of 10 said these laws were legal, but couldn't be enforced, and the other 5 of the 10 said they were NOT legal. I wonder why at this time McCalls printed that article, did they discover quilts out there that were made from patterns in their magazines and they were being shown or sold without permission?? It does make you wonder.
I for one, am sick of the whole issue, not because of this quilt thread, but because I don't know what McCalls is after, and now I guess I don't trust them. Are they going to track down everyone who buys the mag and check for unauthorized quilts? It's not like quilters are out to cheat everyone, but we buy these patterns in good faith, and expect to use them, and maybe it is the honor system, but how in the world can they police all of us? I agree with the others that have mentioned that when we buy a pattern, or magazine, give us permission to use the pattern and be done with it.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Well this is a tough one. I can see that there is some controvery over the article in the very same issue as my last quilt. I design for McCall's Quilting and I just saw that a member of the forum entered my So Blissful Quilt, July/Aug 2010 issue in a Fair. I am the sole owner of the copyright and as such, the law says she should have gotten written permission from me before displaying it in a public place. You see, when she entered the quilt without my name on it as the designer, she implied it was her design. I get requests all the time and time and time again I have given permission. It takes a little time to do that, but the design legally belongs to me. My quilts are not taken from public domain patterns, they are all quite original. McCall's provided a contract giving them permission to publish the quilt. I signed the contract which also stated that I could not make a pattern of the quilt for sale for four months after the quilt is published. It has not been four months and I purchased 60 magazines from McCall's to provide the pattern. I posted a comment about her quilt, it was well pieced and quilted and I did not mention that she should have asked permission. I know that so many people don't even know the copyright law, I'm sure she didn't and I was secretly pleased she chose that pattern and the fabric I used. I would certainly like to know how you guys feel about this. I welcome comments and hope that I did not offend, I would really hate to do that. Dorothy Ann Weld

This picture was taken just before it was mailed to McCall's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101686[/ATTACH]

An EQ6 virtual in another fabric line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101681.jpe   attachment-101682.jpe  
Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
Well this is a tough one. I can see that there is some controvery over the article in the very same issue as my last quilt. I design for McCall's Quilting and I just saw that a member of the forum entered my So Blissful Quilt, July/Aug 2010 issue in a Fair. I am the sole owner of the copyright and as such, the law says she should have gotten written permission from me before displaying it in a public place. You see, when she entered the quilt without my name on it as the designer, she implied it was her design. I get requests all the time and time and time again I have given permission. It takes a little time to do that, but the design legally belongs to me. My quilts are not taken from public domain patterns, they are all quite original. McCall's provided a contract giving them permission to publish the quilt. I signed the contract which also stated that I could not make a pattern of the quilt for sale for four months after the quilt is published. It has not been four months and I purchased 60 magazines from McCall's to provide the pattern. I posted a comment about her quilt, it was well pieced and quilted and I did not mention that she should have asked permission. I know that so many people don't even know the copyright law, I'm sure she didn't and I was secretly pleased she chose that pattern and the fabric I used. I would certainly like to know how you guys feel about this. I welcome comments and hope that I did not offend, I would really hate to do that. Dorothy Ann Weld
I feel if you are publishing the pattern in a quilting magazine, then you are giving permission for people to make quilts from that magazine. Why else buy that magazine?

How many people in the past, said which designer designed this or that pattern. Look at patterns that people bought of the sun bonnet sue in the past. Do we know who designed those patterns? We have guesses. Do we know who designed the original patterns in the public domain? When we make the quilts, we are showcasing our ability to piece and quilt the quilts, not necessarily just the design.

Those that do design and make original quilts are awe inspiring.

I don't think if someone enters a quilt in a quilt show that they are automatically claiming they came up with the design though.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM

I agree but this is getting so stupid I will not be renewing any of my magazine subscriptions because if it is so touchy we cannot enter them in our local fairs and or shows I do not need the magazine once I get the pattern I feel after all the hard work the quilt that I made is mine I do respect the designer and do not photo copy their patterns but once I buy the pattern I consider it mine for my use if I can't do this why buy the magazine there are other places for patterns
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

This was on McCalls Site,with the link at the bottom...

Reader Response
We have had lots of reader response to this thought-provoking article. Therefore, we are working with the author of the piece, Janet Jo Smith, to prepare a short follow-up for our November/December issue. Copyright law is a complex topic, one which we would never have space enough to present completely to our readers. But it’s also a very important topic, and one we believe all quilters need information about in order to protect their rights and respect those of other quilters. It was with this in mind that we presented Janet Jo’s answers to quilters’ most common copyright questions. Unfortunately, some readers seem to have drawn inaccurate conclusions based on the limited information presented in the article, and are feeling alarmed about situations where copyright law has little or no application. For example, vast numbers of our favorite quilt blocks and patterns have been within the public domain for years and are not encumbered by copyright law as we understand it. We’re glad the article has spurred such interest and discussion in the quilting community, and hope you’ll watch for the follow-up.
Aug 12, 2010 at 09:10 AM

Link:
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/artic...s__and_Wrongs_

Based on the bold marks, since most of their blocks are in the public domain, I think your ok to display a quilt made with one of their patterns.