Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag >

Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM

I read the article in the magazine, and read parts of this thread, and I can see that the issue on hand may be confusing at so many levels. The part that confuses me the most though and I hope someone may be able to shed some light for me, is that the article states that one can't publicly display a cpyrighted quilt without the designer permission, does that mean that on this very board we are all violating the copyright rules (myself included)?

To be sure, I always give credit to the designer when I post a photo of their design, but I never seeked their permission to post a photo on this site, never thought I needed to really, afterall,all of these designers have photos of these quilts/patterns on their websites and you don't need anything other than Internet access to view them.

On another note, I came across one of Kaffe Fasset's books all displayed on Google Readers for free, every page of it, including all the instructions. I just e-mailed the designer to inform him about that.

Dorothy Ann, "What a Beautiful Morning" is truly a beautiful quilt that went on my list of quilts to make, as I am just learning to applique.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM

seems like I finally figured out what the designers for McCalls wants we can still hang our quilts in the Library
post a sign saying no quilts excepted useing McCalls magazine pattern and post this article on the door with that part highlited works for me
Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 PM

That would sure get their attention. LOL Would serve them right. Take a pic of the sign and submit to the mag. See how they like it.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM

A good idea I just wrote a letter to Fons and Porter snd ask them what there idea is on this will let you know when I get an answer as far as I can find it is only McCalls but I do respect the designers right with the pattern just not my quilt
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Oh my, this will be my next to last post. Candi, I appreciate the very gracious comment about my quilt. Thank you. One last time I will say how much I love designing quilts. I have at least 500 and both of my computers threaten to crash. If I were to never be published again, I would continue to create. It is who I am and what I want to do. Very few people see the garden that is my back yard but almost all who do are encouraged to take a cutting, root, or a few seeds. I am forever the sharing sort. What disturbs me is the direction this has taken wherein the phrase, what the designers at McCall's wants. is used. You have no idea what I or any of the other designers at McCall's want. Your comment about hanging a sign in the library saying that none of the quilts displayed were from McCall's was a good idea and would serve McCall's right. I can see that you have firmly turned this into a vendeta against a magazine and their designers simply because you don't agree with the law. What I hope is that all magazines will respond to your inquiry. Fons and Porter, I have a quilt 'Flag It' in the current Fall issue of their Easy Quilts. It is a free fully downloadable pattern on their site. I did not retain the copyright, if anyone has it, it is Fons and Porter. For the record and my last word on the matter. I have defended the law, it was the right thing to do. Designing comes easily to me, but perhaps not for all. In the past year and a half I have had eleven quilts published in some way, three in McCall's and one in Easy Quilts. I am just plain blessed and know it. Did you read the post where I said I designed a quilt for the ladies so they could raffle it off in honor of their friend who lost her arm and shoulder to cancer? I named the quilt, 'For the Love of Bettie' and helped them make it. If not, please read this. I received a call last week from someone who sounded so carefree, I thought she must know me. As it turned out she and her church quilt group were in a quilt shop in a nearby city; they had come to pick out fabric for a quilt they would make to raffle for their church. They do this every year. She said they had come in a van and that everyone had brought books and magazines in order to find a quilt they would make this year. She said that the vote was unanimously for Oh What A Beautiful Morning, my quilt in McCall's Sept/Oct issue. She asked if we could overnight a kit on Monday because one of their members was a teacher and really wanted to help. We finished our conversation at 2:30 with my promise to try to get it in the mail before the Post Office closed at 3:00. My helper and I made it with four minutes to spare. They don't know yet about the copyright permission law. It wasn't the important thing to me. Them getting that kit Monday was the important thing. And because the design is mine to give, I did without ever even mentioning it to them and with absolute joy that I could be a part of that endeavor. One more and I'm done.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:52 PM

I own two domain names, www.peacebypiecing.com and peacebypiecing.net. I have made the decision to make some of my patterns free to anyone who wants them on www.peacebypiecing.net There will be no copyrights attached and I will state that each and every time I post one. I will also open the site up to others who want to share their designs. The site .net is not current, I maintain my own website and it takes quite a lot of time especially after Oh What a Beautiful Morning. My what a blessing. I'll make a post on this website when the other site is ready for viewing. God has blessed me, my family and employees. Judy, Pam and Marsha and I have a party every day we 'work', there is no room for discontent.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Dorothy, I'm not sure I understand where you stand on this issue and I'm sorry if I've offended you and your talent. Do you believe that a copyright pattern can't be made into a quilt or whatever and be sold legally without permission? I'm just trying to see how you feel about it since you make money selling your work.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
Here's another thought:
For example, vast numbers of our favorite quilt blocks and patterns have been within the public domain for years and are not encumbered by copyright law as we understand it

so how is Jane Doe supposed to know the difference if it is not stated on the package/article??

I've been reading some of the copyright law stuff on the web - not opinions but the laws themselves (see I ain't no dummy too stupid to understand English as it is written no matter what McCalls thinks)..... And my understanding is something like this - feel free to jump in and disagree or whatever LOL
When a work is created by a designer it is automatically copyrighted to them - they can make the work available to the general public by giving away or selling the instructions - but they retain the copyright unless they specifically state that they are putting the design in the public domain, after that, they have no say so over what is done with the pattern OR THE QUILTS CREATED USING THE PATTERN.

And, they do have the right to say you can make a copy (quilt)using their pattern and they do have the right to withhold permission to show the copy (quilt) made from said pattern.

No problems so far - my beef if you want to call it that, is why be so parsimonious and narcisstic as to force quilters who buy these patterns and mags and books IN GOOD FAITH to take the extra step to beg permission to show their quilts. And if you are going to insist on that step PUT IT IN WRITING at the outset. Right on the pattern, in the book or magazine in a prominent place, instead of getting all huffy and accusing folks of theft or worse when most of them have no clue that such a thing is even required.
You want all rights reserved? Fine, just say so in plain English - put on there YOU HAVE TO ASK MY PERMISSION TO SHOW THIS QUILT or YOU MAY NOT SHOW THIS QUILT AT A PUBLIC QUILT SHOW. Or, as I've stated before, make the statement that, "This quilt may be shown at quilt shows as long as you credit the designer"...
What is the big deal that this can't be done?
Why assume that people are out to claim a designer's work?
I'm sure some people do, but in this day and age of instant communication 99% of them will be found out in a New York minute.

Give quilters the opportunity to NOT break copyright law - give them the CHANCE TO DECIDE - do I want to buy this pattern and have to ask permission to show the quilt, or do I buy 'this' pattern where the designer has already granted that permission?
And put it on the OUTSIDE OF THE PACKAGE - so Jane Quilter doesn't get home with said pattern and discover AFTER she opens the package that the quilt she hoped to make for the next guild show is not permitted to be shown.

And maybe a copyright law should be written to cover quilts and their design and then there would be no problems.

And, I'm not angry - just disgusted with the whole thing.
Because if McCalls and other pattern places do that, they will loose money.

I for one won't buy a magazine, book what have you, and be so limited in my ability to use it.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by candi
I read the article in the magazine, and read parts of this thread, and I can see that the issue on hand may be confusing at so many levels. The part that confuses me the most though and I hope someone may be able to shed some light for me, is that the article states that one can't publicly display a cpyrighted quilt without the designer permission, does that mean that on this very board we are all violating the copyright rules (myself included)?

To be sure, I always give credit to the designer when I post a photo of their design, but I never seeked their permission to post a photo on this site, never thought I needed to really, afterall,all of these designers have photos of these quilts/patterns on their websites and you don't need anything other than Internet access to view them.

On another note, I came across one of Kaffe Fasset's books all displayed on Google Readers for free, every page of it, including all the instructions. I just e-mailed the designer to inform him about that.

Dorothy Ann, "What a Beautiful Morning" is truly a beautiful quilt that went on my list of quilts to make, as I am just learning to applique.
Yes you may very well be violating a copyright rule, if you put a picture of a quilt up here that you didn't design.

Which in all honesty is asinine for the designer. Word of mouth advertising is the best they will get. Quilt shows are good for that as are the boards. To seek that much control over the pattern, once it is published is asking for trouble. You will loose more money in the long run by seeking this much control then if you let people be.

Even if the op didn't post who the designer is, someone in that thread will and you will get advertising.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dorothy Ann
Oh my, this will be my next to last post. Candi, I appreciate the very gracious comment about my quilt. Thank you. One last time I will say how much I love designing quilts. I have at least 500 and both of my computers threaten to crash. If I were to never be published again, I would continue to create. It is who I am and what I want to do. Very few people see the garden that is my back yard but almost all who do are encouraged to take a cutting, root, or a few seeds. I am forever the sharing sort. What disturbs me is the direction this has taken wherein the phrase, what the designers at McCall's wants. is used. You have no idea what I or any of the other designers at McCall's want. Your comment about hanging a sign in the library saying that none of the quilts displayed were from McCall's was a good idea and would serve McCall's right. I can see that you have firmly turned this into a vendeta against a magazine and their designers simply because you don't agree with the law. What I hope is that all magazines will respond to your inquiry. Fons and Porter, I have a quilt 'Flag It' in the current Fall issue of their Easy Quilts. It is a free fully downloadable pattern on their site. I did not retain the copyright, if anyone has it, it is Fons and Porter. For the record and my last word on the matter. I have defended the law, it was the right thing to do. Designing comes easily to me, but perhaps not for all. In the past year and a half I have had eleven quilts published in some way, three in McCall's and one in Easy Quilts. I am just plain blessed and know it. Did you read the post where I said I designed a quilt for the ladies so they could raffle it off in honor of their friend who lost her arm and shoulder to cancer? I named the quilt, 'For the Love of Bettie' and helped them make it. If not, please read this. I received a call last week from someone who sounded so carefree, I thought she must know me. As it turned out she and her church quilt group were in a quilt shop in a nearby city; they had come to pick out fabric for a quilt they would make to raffle for their church. They do this every year. She said they had come in a van and that everyone had brought books and magazines in order to find a quilt they would make this year. She said that the vote was unanimously for Oh What A Beautiful Morning, my quilt in McCall's Sept/Oct issue. She asked if we could overnight a kit on Monday because one of their members was a teacher and really wanted to help. We finished our conversation at 2:30 with my promise to try to get it in the mail before the Post Office closed at 3:00. My helper and I made it with four minutes to spare. They don't know yet about the copyright permission law. It wasn't the important thing to me. Them getting that kit Monday was the important thing. And because the design is mine to give, I did without ever even mentioning it to them and with absolute joy that I could be a part of that endeavor. One more and I'm done.
Dorothy, you have to also understand the anger that people are feeling. There is another part to this story. Keep in mind the culture of quilting vs the culture of Photography, painting and writing. You are thinking in the art and writing culture vs that of the quilting culture.