Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you KNOW what's in your stash? >

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Judy has been living in MY house! Except that mine are all ordered by color, in stacks, and those with "big" yardage are in two containers in the bottom of the large, double-door armoire.

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
I rarely use more than 1/2 yard of any certain fabric in a quilt. So, no, I have no idea what fabrics are in my stash.

However, they are organized so that if I want a red, civil war reproduction print I can put my fingers on where it would be if I have it. If I don't have it - oh well - pick out something else. Same thing with all of the fabric types (flannels, blue blenders, neutrals, large multi-colored florals, holiday, denim, yellow check, black & white, white & black, solid green, etc..)

When I see a fabric in a store that I like I just pick up a yard or two and add it to my stash. That way, I always have fabric that I like on hand.

I can tell by the thickness of the fabric wad in my stash if it will be big enough for borders. I also piece the backs of large quilts so I don't need large yardage for that either.

As many have said, trying to keep inventory seems very time consuming for the number of fabrics I have.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM

My stash is limited to 12 clear totes, sorted by project. On bin for supplies, one for books, and one for Christmas fabric. That only leaves me nine totes to work with. Sigh....space is at a premium.....
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM

I like to think I know what is in my stash...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 AM

I can actually say YES to this question. All my large and medium pieces are wrapped on foam core boards and are either on shallow shelving or in shallow pull out drawers. Recently moved into a new house so I was able to completely re-do my quilt room. Lots of white in the room so my fabric is the decoration. It has made it so much easier to audition fabrics. I no longer have to dig thru every bin/box/stack looking for that perfect fabric. I get to spend so much actually quilting!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM

If I knew what was in my stash !!!!!!!!! :-( I wouldn't be buying more fabric. ":-)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 AM

I'm with DOTTYMO on this one. I love surprises and I've had alot of those in my recent re-organization and remodel of my sewing room. (Still feel funny in saying my studio). But, I have a list on my phone of my various ruler sizes so as not to duplicate.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 AM

No list. Arranged by colors/themes. Like the surprise of finding "new" fabric!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 AM

Sort of, well actually, no
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

I have made lists when preparing to buy fabric a few times, but I have still managed to get duplicates a couple of times. As far as having a list of my whole stash, I do not know if that would work for me. It would have to be constantly updated when I use up something. Oh, but I definitely have a list of the quilts I've made from the stash. The names, sizes, dates completed, and who I gave them to. That is a list that puts a smile on my face.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 AM

Since I generally buy fabric for specific projects, I don't have a huge stash. Thus far, my fabric pieces fit into one of those 6 drawer stackable things on wheels and are sorted by size (FQ, 1/2 yd, kits, etc.) and any batiks have a drawere of their own. I do have a manageable amount which allows me to pull together a small project like the latest Mystery Train #5 table runner.