Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you KNOW what's in your stash? >

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I have my batiks, baby and Christmas fabric separated. Whole fats, yardage and scraps are separated. But, I still can't remember it all
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
A lot of my husband's money converted to fabric is what is in mine.
I love what Mitch's mom wrote about what is in her stash. I have FABRIC in my stash; not all sorted by colors. I did buy 20 plastic tubs to keep FQ's in by typei.e.; blues, kiddie prints, batiks (bigger plastic tub needed for that one), conversation prints, reds, plaids/stripes, etc. But the more I tried to sort the faster those fabric bunnies multiplied! I also have discovered that I bought the same fabric twice. I have two library bookshelves full of larger folds of fabric. And then I have fabric everywhere else! Fun looking through it and/or petting it til you use it.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BertieD View Post
I love what Mitch's mom wrote about what is in her stash. I have FABRIC in my stash; not all sorted by colors. I did buy 20 plastic tubs to keep FQ's in by typei.e.; blues, kiddie prints, batiks (bigger plastic tub needed for that one), conversation prints, reds, plaids/stripes, etc. But the more I tried to sort the faster those fabric bunnies multiplied! I also have discovered that I bought the same fabric twice. I have two library bookshelves full of larger folds of fabric. And then I have fabric everywhere else! Fun looking through it and/or petting it til you use it.
And if you don't ever use it all, remember a stamp collector doesn't use his stamps !
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Found this organizer on the internet one time at [ATTACH=CONFIG]405133[/ATTACH]http://organizedhome.com/printable/crafts-hobbies

and years ago my ex-DH had me put small peices of fabric on 3 x 5 cards with information, how much, width, material and keep them in a file box. think I like that better. Material is in clear tubs now, but am going to go through and put pages I have done, if I hae to cut them into strips in the storages boxes and what is not done, will do so I can lift list out and see what and how much is in each tote without taking it all out. You could take a pictire and print out a small picture and past it on page too. Any new ones I will use the picture to do that. Have totes organized by horses, dogs, misc animals, blenders, kids material etc.
Carol
Attached Thumbnails fabric-organizer.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM

I thought I knew what I had but yesterday. while looking for something else, I was reminded of several wonderful pieces.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Nope, don't really know although most of it is organized in tubs. Usually I buy several coordinating fabrics together with the intention of using them in the same top. Other purchases are great blenders and fabrics that just speak to me. I love shopping my stash and don't regret a single penny I spend. Admittedly, I probably have too much and am a bit overwhelmed with it and have been sewing through my stash lately. It doesn't really bother me that I don't have a handle on it..... I sew for total enjoyment and relaxation.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:58 PM

One word "NO"....lol...I really do need to organize....
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM

The only sure thing I know about my stash is the fact that it has fabric in it. LOL. I can remember lots of it and can see lots of it, but I am always coming across "surprises" when I am hunting for something special.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 PM

I dont have a list or anything written down,but I know everything in my stash.Maybe my stash is still small enough to remember.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Years ago, when I was young, energetic, unemployed and BC (before child) so I had time, I thought to inventory my fashion pattern and fabric collection. At first I cut a piece of fabric and slipped them into photo slide sheets with yardage amount and put them in a binder. That way I could check for matches I needed for the garment. You just never know when the perfect match would be found. Folding out this binder in the fabric store was imbarrassing, so I put the pieces on safety pins and on rings- that also got cumbersome, and dirty. After a few months, I gave up on the idea and just took what I wanted to match with me. Or bought it anyway and added to my stash.

Skip, maybe 20, years; quilting started and collecting started all over. For the first 10 years I could tell you when, where, why, how much, cost & who I was with.

Then I started art quilting & I bought 1/2 yd by the dozen or more and lost track. I have 1000's. When I want to make a quilt I pull out up to 200 pieces, shuffle and reshuffle, reshelve and get out more.

Do I need to know----that is the question...... The hunt is part of the fun. So NO, I don't know and don't care. Works for me.