Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you KNOW what's in your stash? >

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

I would love to know the answer to this question.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 AM

Whenever I go to my yardage stash, its like going shopping AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN. lol. My scrap stash is starting to get crazy, so Im trying to organize by creating scrap yardage, blocks, triangles and diamonds. Hope this works!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
It was painful but in 2008 I spent 2 weeks sorting and refolding rather than sewing.
But what a difference. Even in a two foot stack of fabric I can see every fabric in the stack.
The key has been to keep it up, not get piles of messy stacks and just leave them.

http://kalamaquilts.blogspot.com/200...zy-sunday.html
5 years and it's still neat. What a concept

Some of our members are folding around boards, I just folded around a 24X6 ruler, and stacked neatly.
KalamaQuilts; the quilt in the background is gorgeous!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 AM

Hello, I'm happy to say I now know what's in my stash as its pretty much all organized on either bolts, comic book boards or small plastic bins. Even my scraps are now in their respective bins. That took some doing. Of course now I realize I have way too many scraps so I've pulled a bunch out to make up a couple lap quilts for my mother and I to use when watching TV at night. She gets so cold at her age. I have my main fabrics organized by color or by collection, my fat quarters by color and my scraps by size of width. My bolts are between some cabinets. I had purchased a bunch of muslin as I knew I was getting ready to do some scrappy quilts that needed a backing piece (Craftsy's March BOM 2012 blocks). Well, after finally getting all my fabrics organized I found my bolt of muslin as well as a bolt of Kona white and even a large piece of extra wide muslin to my surprise. That makes me want to keep my fabrics organized now so I don't go out and purchase more of the same. Fabric is way too expensive these days.

I even have all my dress fabrics on bolts or comic book boards in the other room so I can now see what I have. Just need to go thru a couple rolling cabinets to see what I stuffed in there during the move from Florida to Iowa. I know there are some UFOs hiding somewhere.

I am glad to say I have finished stitching up the last UFO quilt top so I'm up to date with them.

Suz in Iowa
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM

I think I am till I start looking for something{?} and then find something I forgot I had an then get sidetracked---Oh well it was a good day and I had fun and maybe got some new ideas
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 AM

Mine are ruler folded and sorted by colors and categories in bins and drawers. The batting and larger pieces for backings are in stand-up bags from Ikea that were designed for recycling. They have a window where you can slip in a label. While there's plenty to get me started on whatever I'm motivated to do, it's not such a huge amount that I can't find things. I hope I can keep it at about the level it is now because much more and it might get overwhelming. I live in a large suburb and have plenty of fabric stores to go to if I need something in a hurry - I'm happy to let them store the bulk of it until I'm ready to buy.

I figure my family would consider my stash to be a lot more than anyone could possibly need, but it's a pittance compared to some I've seen on this board. Still, I probably couldn't possibly live long enough to use it up, even if I reach 100. I have to remember to leave a note on the top of the bins with information about how to contact my guild so the DH and kids can donate what they don't want to deal with some other way. I definitely do not want to risk anyone just trashing it, but I don't want them to think of it as a burden, either.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 AM

I would like to believe that I know what is in my stash. I have a pretty good idea but sometimes when i am digging looking for something I find a fabric that I don't remember ever seeing before
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Lots more after last weeks trip to the city!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM

I have my stash neatly folded (I use a quilting ruler to get them all equal size.) Each piece is standing on end in a clear bin. Everything is sorted according to color. Then I take a photo of each bin, close up, so the colors and fabrics show. And I store these photos in IPhoto under "Quilting". When I want to know what's in my stash, I can pull up the photos and look. Obviously I have to update the photos from time to time -- about every 6 months depending on how much fabric I've used, or bought new. But it's just so easy to pull up a photo on IPhoto, enlarge it, and Bing! I know what's in the bin without looking. Obviously I've labeled the bins 1 to 5, and note which number bin I'm seeing when I put it in IPhoto. It's easy, peasy for me!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:31 PM

I reorganize mine every couple months and yup...always find materials that I have forgotten I have. I also try and go through my stuff prior to shopping for fabric, which prevents me for shopping for more. I think I have enough fabric for a long time....not that I love doing scrappy's