Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you KNOW what's in your stash? >

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Do you KNOW what's in your stash?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 AM

My fabric is neatly folded by the ruler method, and stacked on shelves behind folding doors. I don't want the light to get to it. All my quilting fabric is sorted by color/ florals/ juvenile/ seasonal/ batiks, etc. I can tell at a glance what I have. All the flannels are also together and sorted by color/ infant/manly/ floral. It works for me. I have a 20' wall of storage in my basement sewing studio. I try not to have many UFOs, and if I buy fabric for a specific project, that is grouped together in a space in one of the closets. I may "Look" organized, but.....
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 AM

I store my fabric in clear plastic boxes or on the bolt boards that the stores use. Those are in rows in the back of a closet. I sort by color. The thing I find most helpful is to pin a small piece of paper to each one with its size on it. That is not hard to keep up with whereas a notebook or recipe box with cards with that information would be impossible for me to keep up with.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 AM

ways of storing my stash has changed over the last several years. Currently, I store my fabric by color in see through drawers. I fold the 1 yd or less pieces like fat quarters. So when you open the drawer you can see all the fabric at a glance. The larger yardages and wide quilt back fabrics are folded and stored in separate deeper drawers. I have mostly bright kids fabrics. I do have a couple of drawers with Jenny Beyer type & batik fabric sorted by colors. I buy 98% of my fabric online. Recently I have started copying and pasting the fabric pics and name as I place the order. I also take pics occasionally of the fabric & ufo's. The older I get I find I need to find more ways of controlling my stash.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 AM

My stash is a mess. I have it stored in a cedar chest. Someone told me that the cedar touching the fabric might cause it damage. So....I lined the inside with shelf liner. It is folded and organized by color. When I take anything out it all gets messed up. I know...I need a new system! I am going to work on that in May when I go home.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Now the lady not only wants us to have a stash -- but to take a test on it! Not going to happen in my world! Seriously I once considered this but I get more inspiration from"paw-ing"my fabric than from pictures. But I can scan fabric into 2 of my quilt programs -- so why not a fabric inventory. Even something as simple as a camera and jpegs into a spreadsheet might be useful to some. Myself, I use the stack by color and a bit of stack by theme (christmas etc.).
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 AM

I just went through all my scraps with a quilting friend and I shared a lot with her and we weeded out the tiny pieces that I had a hard time parting with. I sorta know what's there but it changes all the time. I'm not one to cut squares or shapes because I feel you neve know what size you might need and I love making string and revesable crazy quilts with them.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 AM

I have been ruler folding my stash for a few days. It's so pleasant to handle every piece and think about what I might make with it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 AM

stash is ok because I just finished going thru that, it is the gadgets/rulers/templates that I have found I have begun to duplicate......so it is time to really clean that pegboard wall and the drawer unit below it to make sure I do not double buy........again!!!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 AM

Years ago I read a hint to buy the small photo albums, clip a small swatch from the corner of your fabric and put it in the album. Five or six swatches would fit on a page. When you shopped you could take out the album and coordinate. That was sooo handy. Notice I said was. I didn't keep it up and maybe that is why I have so much I will never use it all. Sometimes when I go thru my stash I find fabric that I think, "That is so pretty. When did I buy this" and other fabrics I had forgotten about I think, "Why on this earth would I buy that piece".
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 AM

I can always "shop" my stash, and I find the most wonderful surprises. And of course a few of those "what was I thinking" pieces as well. Its fun