Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt on Sunday? >

Do you quilt on Sunday?

Do you quilt on Sunday?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Sunday is the start of my weekend, unless I'm really in the mood or motivated, I do no work, paid or not. Just starting something I've wanted to do for so long, Sunday is my day to quilt. :)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
Please let me know if everyone quilts on Sunday, or is that a day that you you take off from quilting. The reason that I ask is because my Mother-in-law always told me that I shouldn't sew or quilt on Sunday.
This strikes me as going back to the Abrahamic religions' prohibition of working on the Sabbath.

If that is so, then isn't this a question for your theological authority? Because, really, what I do as a Buddhist may not be appropriate at all for someone of an Abrahamic faith.
How very true. But the Jewish Sabbath was from Fri. night til Sat. night. So, if we going to be true to the Jewish Sabbath, that is when we shouldn't sew, or cook, or walk very far, or drive a car, or turn on a light switch, or use anything electronic, or...... :) I'd say that most of the preachers who tell us not to do these things would quickly change their minds if we all decided not to cook or clean up dinner on the Sabbath.

P.S. I sew if I want to. (I'm not Jewish but DH and DD spent a summer doing archaeological work in Israel and came back with some interesting stories.) But sewing isn't my job, either. Taking a day off from work once a week is a wonderful idea!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Yes I do..my Grandmother is probably rolling over in her grave because of it!! However..it relaxes me..I don't consider it work..and I'm not too religious !!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

Sewing use to be chore so if the women could use religion to get out of doing it for a day then good for them.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Please let me know if everyone quilts on Sunday, or is that a day that you you take off from quilting. The reason that I ask is because my Mother-in-law always told me that I shouldn't sew or quilt on Sunday.
This strikes me as going back to the Abrahamic religions' prohibition of working on the Sabbath.

If that is so, then isn't this a question for your theological authority? Because, really, what I do as a Buddhist may not be appropriate at all for someone of an Abrahamic faith.
How very true. But the Jewish Sabbath was from Fri. night til Sat. night. So, if we going to be true to the Jewish Sabbath, that is when we shouldn't sew, or cook, or walk very far, or drive a car, or turn on a light switch, or use anything electronic, or...... :) I'd say that most of the preachers who tell us not to do these things would quickly change their minds if we all decided not to cook or clean up dinner on the Sabbath.

P.S. I sew if I want to. (I'm not Jewish but DH and DD spent a summer doing archaeological work in Israel and came back with some interesting stories.) But sewing isn't my job, either. Taking a day off from work once a week is a wonderful idea!
True, observant Jewish women do not quilt or sew or do any form of transformational work on the Sabbath. For me, it's great to have a 'pause in time' when 'work' is out of the question and I can sit and be grateful for the world. :D
Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin

How very true. But the Jewish Sabbath was from Fri. night til Sat. night. So, if we going to be true to the Jewish Sabbath, that is when we shouldn't sew, or cook, or walk very far, or drive a car, or turn on a light switch, or use anything electronic, or...... :)
Well, that covers 1/3rd of the Abrahamic faiths. What about the Christian sects, which usually consider Sunday as the Sabbath? And the last of the three great Abrahamic faiths, Islam, observes a special prayer on Fridays.

This is why I think that such a question needs to be posed to the specific individual's theological authority.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Sewing use to be chore so if the women could use religion to get out of doing it for a day then good for them.
The one Mennonite community I am familiar with discouraged quilting on Sundays. Not because it was a chore but as a precaution against vanity in non-necesary work.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM

My grandma said if I sewed on Sunday I would pick it out with my nose on Monday. I usually don't, as I have many other things to do on Sunday.
So yesterday was a particularly quiet day, with few of the usual things that fill most Sundays: no children or ggc, so no big dinner, no SS class to prepare for, raining outside.... I have a row to finish for a round robin, so I thought I would finish up, just assembling the 5 blocks, easy peasy, right? Ha! Discovered one of the fussy cut disappearing nine patch blocks had been assembled with one block upside down, and no more fabric available! Then I sewed two blocks on the wrong ends of the row. Ripping those off, I ripped too far, and lost the stitching on one of the tiny tiny blocks on the dnp. Then squaring up the row, I found it was so wonky that I had to lose too much of the focus scenic panel! This morning I was able to fix it all up.
So I will repent and stop sewing on Sunday
Old 10-17-2011, 10:43 AM

My mom was very sweet but when I was little she did not want me to watch TV or go the movies on Sunday. I know that was from her upbringing in the south. Even so, she did not live to see me take up quilting but I think she would have been proud of my sewing no matter what day it was.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
My Grandma said, "every stitch you sew on Sunday you will take out with your nose in heaven". At least I'll have something to do when I get to heaven:)
Oh those were my teachings exactly ! When I grew up there were not stores open on Sunday, therefore, no shopping....too, I don't think were restaurants open on Sunday either...not that we would have eaten in one !

I wasn't "allowed" to put on play clothes on Sunday either, had to wear church clothes all day.....NOR did we sew or even cut out anything on Sunday.....

HOWEVER, this is the best part ! My foster father always kept on his long sleeve white shirt and tie all day.....and Sunday was the day he would check the oil in the car....it was an old car and every time he would put his arm wherever around the motor to check the oil he would get oil on the sleeve of his shirt...so what did he do, he cut the end of the horn off because that is what was getting him dirty ! So, then the horn had more of an ugga sound rather than a horn sound !

This is the same man and same car that he changed the oil in and was too cheap to buy a filter....put a roll of toilet paper in where the filter should of been.....car ran hot one day and foster mother took it into a garage and learned what had happened......don't think he did that again !

Looking back, those weren't "bad" times, however, not to make an excuse, I find sewing and other crafts extremely relaxing and don't view it as work.

Today I sew on Sunday, even though I'm retired and can sew any day, but an afternoon spent at my sewing machine or cutting table is more relaxing and rewarding !