Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state?

Same with Oregon for Washington purchases, show Oregon ID and pay no sales tax.

I didn't know that about Oregon, shopping in Washington. That's great-my daughter moved to Portland and when she comes to visit in Idaho, she can shop in Washington and no sales tax. I live in Montana, and if I show ID in Washington I don't have to pay any sales tax either. But no one in Idaho will honor that. It gets confusing.

Income, property tax

Property taxes are interesting...when they decide that they can't raise the property taxes anymore, they just increase the assessed value of your home and property. Same results for them. Same frustrations for us.

After reading this topic I realize how fortunate I am not to have to pay sales tax, and I know I never really thought about it, I just bought fabric (and other stuff) and didn't think about what it would be if I had to add a sales tax to it. Montana is a beautiful place to live, but it is getting expensive, what with property taxes and the general cost of living. We are considering moving to Idaho to be near our kids and grandkids when my husband retires, but to be honest, I have thought about the sales tax ( plus having to take another drivers'exam!) and I'm not sure I want to do it. The problem with a sales tax is that it goes up. They want to have it here, and it is supposed to start out at about 5% or so, but we all know it will get raised on a regular basis-look at the post office. It is almost cheaper to hand deliver your bill payments than to mail them.

Blog Entries
    One of what I believe is the best on-line shops has a brick and mortar store about 20 minutes from me. I consider myself lucky to be able to visit the store, see and feel the fabrics.......I frequently purchase from the store itself. However, if time, work, and other committments mean I cannot get to the store, I also order on-line from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl
    No, for a couple of reasons. One, I think it is important to support our local merchants as much as is practical and, two, our states are hurting enough as it is and without our taxes would have to cut back on even more services.
    I agree. I don't buy online. But I do enjoy looking at their "candy."

I buy locally and via internet. If I like it and the price is reasonable, that's good enough for me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by countrymaid
    But NYS residents are suppose to self disclose purchases made and pay the sales tax when filing their NYS Income tax.
    Same here in Oklahoma. there's a line on the tax form for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Curious! Is there anyone who thinks it is a socially responsible thing to pay taxes. If I couldn't afford to pay tax on something like fabric (not a necessity)then I can't afford the fabric and shouldn't be buying. I am glad to pay taxes even if I don't like all the things they are used for. Many very good public programs are paid for through taxes.
    You're not alone. My husband will also drive a little farther to shop within our city and support it with his purchases/tax money than go to the same retailer (e.g. WalMart) that is closer, but in a different town.

[quote=IrishNY]
    Quote Originally Posted by deedles215
    Sales tax cannot be collected from an out-of-state-retailer if there is not a location in your state.
    So for instance; if you're buying from JoAnn's online, and you DO have a JoAnn's in your state (and your state also collects sales tax), you WILL be charged tax. If you are buying online and your state does not have a JoAnn's, you will NOT be charged sales tax... even if your state collects it.

This is true EXCEPT.... in good old NY, our politicians are so desperate for revenue that they passed a law requiring anyone who sells goods online to a NY resident to collect the tax and send it in to NY. Amazon sued because it is against interstate commerce laws. But in the meantime, as it moves through the court system, Amazon is collecting sales tax from NYS residents although Amazon has no physical presence in NYS. :roll:
    Amazon is collecting sales tax from Colorado residents, too. I think one reason is that some of the Amazon affiliates are in Colorado or New York, so that is like having a store in the state.

Here is Ohio each county can raise their sales tax to whatever is voted for. I don't even know what the main rate is.

Blog Entries
    I buy both instate and out of state. If I see something I like and the price is in my budget, I will purchase it.

Nice thing about that is that if you are paying the tax vs the shipping, the tax is going to support your own state. Regardless of how you feel about sales tax, I would really resent paying to some other state.
    Mary

[quote=pchp]
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    Quote Originally Posted by deedles215
    Sales tax cannot be collected from an out-of-state-retailer if there is not a location in your state.
    So for instance; if you're buying from JoAnn's online, and you DO have a JoAnn's in your state (and your state also collects sales tax), you WILL be charged tax. If you are buying online and your state does not have a JoAnn's, you will NOT be charged sales tax... even if your state collects it.

This is true EXCEPT.... in good old NY, our politicians are so desperate for revenue that they passed a law requiring anyone who sells goods online to a NY resident to collect the tax and send it in to NY. Amazon sued because it is against interstate commerce laws. But in the meantime, as it moves through the court system, Amazon is collecting sales tax from NYS residents although Amazon has no physical presence in NYS. :roll:
    Amazon is collecting sales tax from Colorado residents, too. I think one reason is that some of the Amazon affiliates are in Colorado or New York, so that is like having a store in the state.
    I don't know about Colorado but there are no Amazon locations in NYS. This is because of the NYS legislators trying to supersede federal interstate commerce laws because they think NY is losing revenue to internet vendors and they want to recover it. That's why Amazon is suing.

No I do not make it a point.

sales tax is not part of my decision on buying fabric

Amazon is collecting sales tax from Colorado residents, too. I think one reason is that some of the Amazon affiliates are in Colorado or New York, so that is like having a store in the state.[/quote]

I don't know about Colorado but there are no Amazon locations in NYS. This is because of the NYS legislators trying to supersede federal interstate commerce laws because they think NY is losing revenue to internet vendors and they want to recover it. That's why Amazon is suing.[/quote]

There is no Amazon location here in CO, but there are vendors from Colorado who sell things through Amazon as "affiliates". There no doubt are also such vendors in NYS. I believe that is one reason why Colorado and New York think they have a case. If I recall correctly, Amazon's first response was to not let small business vendors from Colorado continue to have links on the Amazon website, or rather be "affiliates". These "affiliates" are the folks who are selling a "used" or "new" product through the Amazon website. Some of these "affiliates", like Target (for a Singer machine I just looked up on the Amazon site), do have an actual presence in both Colorado and New York. The Target website is required to collect the sales tax, so why shouldn't the Amazon website (through which you could pay for a product being sold by Target)?

I don't mind paying the sales tax. If people can get away with not paying the sales tax, then we'll be taxed within the state or city in some other way (e.g. property taxes) or there will be bigger cutbacks in services (e.g. unrepaired roads) due to lack of funds.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6