Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state?

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I live in Oregon . . . no sales tax. But even if we had a sales tax, I don't think I would refuse to shop here. It's my home. I love my home.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by steelecg
    If we don't support our local merchants, we soon be towns without brick and mortor stores. Real book stores are becoming a thing of the past because of places like Amazon. try to support your LQS.
    My favorite bookstore is one in town called Basin Book Traders. You bring in a stack of books you no longer want, they give you store credit, and you leave with a new stack of books. Even if you don't have books to trade, all the books they sell are either 50% off retail price or less. I got a fabulous quilting book there for $4. Amazon sells it for $1 plus $4 shipping so I even saved money! lol

I generally try to purchase locally, I support the "small guy" keep my community in business. Having said that if the price difference is $1/yard or more, then I will think hard about what I will purchase.

If you don't support your community/town/city/state, who will?

TreeFrog

Quote Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
    In Oregon we don't have sales tax.....they just hit us with state tax at the end of the year.
    The best place to live must be Vancouver, WA. No state income tax and all you have to do is drive over the bridge into Portland, OR to buy things and you don't have to pay sales tax!

Quote Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
    In Oregon we don't have sales tax.....they just hit us with state tax at the end of the year.
    The best place to live must be Vancouver, WA. No state income tax and all you have to do is drive over the bridge into Portland, OR to buy things and you don't have to pay sales tax!
    Or you could move to New Hampshire, pay no state income tax, no state sales tax, and shop at Keepsake Quilting anytime your little heart desired!

:-D

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    Montana has no sales tax and if a MT resident buys something in Idaho or Washington and show a MT drivers license they are not charged sales tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Massachusetts (sales tax) tried to enforce taxation of items purchased in New Hampshire (no sales tax) by Mass consumers. Mass lost. Pardon me but Ha! Ha!
    This is interesting. I am in WY, and we used to have our own business. One time, a MT customer refused to pay the sales tax. I contacted our accountent, and he said they cannot refuse the pay WY tax. If they shop in WY they need to pay up! I do shop in MT from time to time, but only because we are there for Dr. appts. etc. and the variety is so much larger than in my small town. And of course, I do like saving the tax.
    I think sales tax is based on where you receive the merchandise. California wants us to pay Use Tax to the state when we purchase online out of state and they don't collect California's taxes. So, I usually pay sales tax either way.

Same here, don't have a sales tax in Mt. I have noticed when I order something from out of state I am never chargerd a sales tax. It is nice that out of staters can come here to buy and not have a sales tax to pay. Sometimes I see more Wy. cars at Costco than Mt cars and you are all welcome to come and shop here.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    we don't pay sales taxes at all.....heh heh heh. (just enourmous property taxes!)

I definitely shop local FIRST. Many reasons to it but if I don't buy then I cannot go and shop :lol: I prefer to buy in person than on internet, unless it's a kit. I have purchased those or block of the months online.

Sales tax cannot be collected from an out-of-state-retailer if there is not a location in your state.
    So for instance; if you're buying from JoAnn's online, and you DO have a JoAnn's in your state (and your state also collects sales tax), you WILL be charged tax. If you are buying online and your state does not have a JoAnn's, you will NOT be charged sales tax... even if your state collects it.
    That is why most of us do not pay tax on our online, out-of-state purchases.
    If you physically make a purchase in a state that does collect tax, even if your home state does not; you still have to pay the tax (the retailer could of course, allow you NOT to pay, but that's on their heads; not yours). If you had it shipped to your home instead(not across international borders), you would not pay tax... depending on the first paragraph above of course.
    The same applies if you make a purchase in a county or zip code in your state, for instance, that has a higher or lower sales tax; if you physically buy it at the higher tax zip code; you'll pay the higher tax. If you have it sent to the lower tax zip code; you'd pay THAT zip code's tax %. ...But you'd also most likely pay shipping.

Is that all about as clear as mud?!

But on to the original question, as far as refusing to buy in-state? Absolutely not. I'll buy if the customer service is good, prices are fair, and shipping is not outrageous!

BUUUT I have yet to find a good online retailer in MN that I wouldn't be able to go to in person, either, so it's kind of a moot point for me... Just wanted to help clarify the tax/no tax thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?
    When I shop online for fabric I try to buy from fabric.com which is in my state. I don't mind paying taxes on my purchases there because their prices are much lower than most out-of-state online retailers. In general I look at the bottom line for the total amount I am spending when comparing prices. I also like the convenience of buying from a local online retailer because I usually get my shipment within one or two days. And if I am really in a rush they will even allow local online customers to come down to their warehouse and pick up the order.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Or you could move to New Hampshire, pay no state income tax, no state sales tax, and shop at Keepsake Quilting anytime your little heart desired!

Yeah, too bad many of us don't like frigid temps and snow. :thumbup:

I don't have many options at all near me, other than Joann's, but I would definitely support a local shop regardless of sales tax. I guess it's nice not to have to pay it when paying shipping, but it's not a consideration for me.

Lyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace

Pfffft :P

Quote Originally Posted by Candace

As we see it, cold temps and snow are just perfect reasons to make more quilts! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?
    I live in Oregon and I never have to pay sales tax.

[quote=deedles215]Sales tax cannot be collected from an out-of-state-retailer if there is not a location in your state.
    So for instance; if you're buying from JoAnn's online, and you DO have a JoAnn's in your state (and your state also collects sales tax), you WILL be charged tax. If you are buying online and your state does not have a JoAnn's, you will NOT be charged sales tax... even if your state collects it.

This is true EXCEPT.... in good old NY, our politicians are so desperate for revenue that they passed a law requiring anyone who sells goods online to a NY resident to collect the tax and send it in to NY. Amazon sued because it is against interstate commerce laws. But in the meantime, as it moves through the court system, Amazon is collecting sales tax from NYS residents although Amazon has no physical presence in NYS. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    Montana has no sales tax and if a MT resident buys something in Idaho or Washington and show a MT drivers license they are not charged sales tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Massachusetts (sales tax) tried to enforce taxation of items purchased in New Hampshire (no sales tax) by Mass consumers. Mass lost. Pardon me but Ha! Ha!
    I live in Montana and often shop in Idaho and Washington, however Idaho does NOT honor the no sales tax. Washington does, but we have yet to find a store in Idaho that will not make us pay sales tax.

Power Poster
    No I don't refuse to buy fabric anywhere so long as it is of good quality and at a good price.

This is my first post, I like to feel the fabrics so I therefore buy local. But honestly Joann's is the place I buy most fabrics because it's 10 min from home. Generally I buy on sale so save more than if I had something shipped!

No, ma'am. I buy the fabric I want, whether it be in-state or not. While it's nice not to pay sales tax, it's not a big issue with me and I make no effort to avoid it.

taxes -vs- shipping hum???? I buy from where ever I can find what I like / need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    I shop locally, especially small business that compete with the big box stores. I like to support local business whenever and however I can. If I can't get what I want locally, then I try regionally....... and the area widens until I go international online.

In terms of fabric, I will buy from my LQS if they have the fabric/patterns that I'm looking for. If they do not have it, then I go online.

BTW, sales tax here is 13%. :-(
    I sure hope you get better government service for that much money! Ours here is 8.3 %.

Quote Originally Posted by countrymaid
    But NYS residents are suppose to self disclose purchases made and pay the sales tax when filing their NYS Income tax.
    Same in Ohio

In Ohio we are asked directly on our state tax form if we have bought anything on line and not paid sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by countrymaid
    But NYS residents are suppose to self disclose purchases made and pay the sales tax when filing their NYS Income tax.
    Same in Rhode Island

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast