Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state?

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Or you could move to New Hampshire, pay no state income tax, no state sales tax, and shop at Keepsake Quilting anytime your little heart desired!

:-D
    Yeah, too bad many of us don't like frigid temps and snow. :thumbup:
    perfect quilting weather though:)

Quote Originally Posted by katcincinnati
    In Ohio we are asked directly on our state tax form if we have bought anything on line and not paid sales tax.
    Excuse me while I bwahahahahahah

I'm sorry, but I wonder how many no's vs how many yes's they get.

An interesting thing happen to me just on this very subject. I ordered something online, and the shipping was free, but I was ordering it from Wal-Mart, and the taxes were more than regular shipping. The order didn't go through, for some reason, so I ordered the item from another company. The order was cheaper, for I didn't pay taxes, and the shipping was cheaper than the taxes in OK. How strange.

Blog Entries
    If I am looking for a particular fabric I don't care where it comes from. I love looking at all the on line shop. I wish I could buy more often and had more money to spend. It's hard to be choosy.

Blog Entries
    wow where do you live in Montana and is that the whole state ,sounds good conpair to calif ,and most times they still ask what state we live in so we still have to pay ca taxes,i think i only found one store that did not charge me sale taxes

I live in western Montana, but the entire state is sales tax free except for a tourist place that is allowed to charge sales tax. They keep trying to pass the sales tax law but we keep voting it down.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by katcincinnati
    In Ohio we are asked directly on our state tax form if we have bought anything on line and not paid sales tax.
    Excuse me while I bwahahahahahah

I'm sorry, but I wonder how many no's vs how many yes's they get.
    I agree!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    Montana has no sales tax and if a MT resident buys something in Idaho or Washington and show a MT drivers license they are not charged sales tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Massachusetts (sales tax) tried to enforce taxation of items purchased in New Hampshire (no sales tax) by Mass consumers. Mass lost. Pardon me but Ha! Ha!
    Same thing for Oregon. I grew up on the state line between WA & Idaho. We always went to Idaho because there is no sales tax. Now, I live far NW side of the state and see Canadians coming from British Columbia to shop because our 9.5% taxes are far cheaper than theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    I live in western Montana, but the entire state is sales tax free except for a tourist place that is allowed to charge sales tax. They keep trying to pass the sales tax law but we keep voting it down.
    That was one of the things I liked about Montana when I lived there. NO TAX

Quote Originally Posted by quiltergirl80
    Montana has no sales tax and if a MT resident buys something in Idaho or Washington and show a MT drivers license they are not charged sales tax.
    Massachusetts (sales tax) tried to enforce taxation of items purchased in New Hampshire (no sales tax) by Mass consumers. Mass lost. Pardon me but Ha! Ha!
    Same thing for Oregon. I grew up on the state line between WA & Idaho. We always went to Idaho because there is no sales tax. Now, I live far NW side of the state and see Canadians coming from British Columbia to shop because our 9.5% taxes are far cheaper than theirs.
    There is sales tax in Idaho now. My son pays over 11%-and when we go over and I shop, I am not tax exempt. But I am in Washington if I show my drivers license.

I shop LQS mostly, but sometimes they do not have what I wantthen I shop on-line. I am more concerned about cost of shipping than tax. I have lived in Oregon and know there is an agreement between states that Oregonians do not have to pay tax on goods in WA, but do on service, like machine service. No such agreemnt with CA.
    States will get their taxes one way or another. No income tax in TX, but higher property tax and sales tax. OR has no sales tax but they get you on income and property.

Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltergirl80
    There is sales tax in Idaho now. My son pays over 11%-and when we go over and I shop, I am not tax exempt. But I am in Washington if I show my drivers license.
    oops! I meant he pays 7%-they get a credit on their state income tax for taxes that they paid for food, I think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    I shop locally, especially small business that compete with the big box stores. I like to support local business whenever and however I can. If I can't get what I want locally, then I try regionally....... and the area widens until I go international online.

In terms of fabric, I will buy from my LQS if they have the fabric/patterns that I'm looking for. If they do not have it, then I go online.

BTW, sales tax here is 13%. :-(
    I sure hope you get better government service for that much money! Ours here is 8.3 %.

13% is ridiculous. It's down right outrageous! :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I'm in Oregon too, and because of the lack of a sales tax, business and property taxes are through the roof...that gets passed onto the consumer...Oregon is one of the most expensive places I've lived!
    (I'm SO ready to move out of this place!!!)

***Edited to add*** NOT that Oregon is THE most expensive place one could live....just that it's the most expensive place *I* have lived!! ;)
    Charlee, we were just talking about this on the weekend. At least OR does it right, you can deduct property taxes from your federal return, not so with sales taxes.

[quote=auntmag]Montana has no sales tax and if a MT resident buys something in Idaho or Washington and show a MT drivers license they are not charged sales tax.

The same applies to Oregon residents purchasing items in Washington state. Interestingly, I sometimes find items cheaper in Washington, probably because once their tax is applied it comes out about the same.

This is a very interesting & informative thread....

I agree this is an interesting thread...

I definitely do not support the buy local concept. Not every local business is wonderful nor is every large national company evil.

I purchase from businesses that I want to see in business next year whether they be local, regional, national or international.

I support businesses that offer the products I use, appropriate services, and terrific total cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I live in Oregon. We don't have sales tax so it is not an issue here.
    What state taxes do you have to pay?

We have a State income tax,And Property tax.
    I have lived in two other States with sales tax, and I did not have any problems paying what I owed. :lol:

If I buy online I buy out of state. I won't pay shipping and sales tax.
    After last weekend's shop hop I found that every one of the 13 shops fabric was $9/yd or more. So figure tax at 8.25% (we have state and local taxes) plus gas. If it's cheaper online with shipping that is what I will do.

Blog Entries
    Curious! Is there anyone who thinks it is a socially responsible thing to pay taxes. If I couldn't afford to pay tax on something like fabric (not a necessity)then I can't afford the fabric and shouldn't be buying. I am glad to pay taxes even if I don't like all the things they are used for. Many very good public programs are paid for through taxes.

Blog Entries
    [

I lived in Ohio for nearly fifty years. The idea that you will get all of your residents to pay the tax on everything they bought in other states or on-line is the dumbest thing ever. Can you remember every stick of gum you bought on the road? Well, the law says you should because you owe the difference between the tax rate of the state you bought the gum in and Ohio's rate; if the other state had a lower rate. Nobody is going to keep those records. You have PUSHED everyone into the scofflaw category. Now that we are all breaking the law, we might try to get away with a little more. I voted with my feet. I'm in Texas now.

I pay plenty of taxes. If I can save a buck I do and don't feel a bit guilty about it. I have a decent stash. A lot of the fabric was bought locally. LQS was supported, taxes were paid. I am in a different place atm. My husband's dealership is in transition and I am not working full time any longer. So now if I need a fabric to fill in a project I have to watch what I spend. Fabric prices are increasing dramatically. I go where I get the most bang for my buck be it online or locally.

No sales tax here in Oregon!
    It doesn't bother me to pay sales tax - I hate the shipping charges so I don't do much shopping on line for fabric. Besides I like to touch and feel!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast