Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Economy woes - Cutting back on quilting goods?

I have seen so much on this post that I agree with. I am on a fixed budget but quality service is an absolute must. We have a LQS on what we call "old downtown" street and I haven't been there in over two years. Her fabric was pricey but nice, but they followed you around like you might steal or something and you couldn't concentrate. i went in one day just after seeing the doctor. My thyroid was out of range and since I was in there a while, (cause her assistant wouldn't leave me to "shop" - I can't pick fabrics without a lot of touchy-feely, musing and visualizing), so being there so long, I became a bit dehydrated. A common thing for me if not careful. i began to 'speed' up and was having hot flashes. anyway after what i call 'jibes' about ppl who are compulsive, i decided, "hey, I don't need this in return for supporting you." The owner was right there sewing, and I know at least once, the assistant said, while i was looking down at a piece of fabric, (you know that feeling, cause of the sound in the voice, that eyes are rolling?)..."oh, she has LOTS of fabric"....sounds like I am on a rant or something...nope, just a small town, friendly person, maybe a tad sensitive at times, but don't need ppl snubbing me etc. I can go elsewhere and save money to boot.
    She bought out our local wal-mart of their embroidery threads...she got them for .10 each and sells them for .69. I understand needing to make a profit, but since the elderly in this town have to go 90 minutes away to get it for .29 that's taking advantage. Lucky for me, I already had boocoo threads of all colors. People love to save money, but they want the ambience, the friendship and chatting etc. That's a free commodity and will profit them in the end. What would it have cost them to get off their high horse and bring their noses down to the level of the customers? otherwise, decent ppl. They just don't get how important the bedside manner is. thanks for the opportunity to vent. i never have before. i don't trash ppl, it hurts business and I figure they are doing that all by themselves. I'm a good person and just want to be treated as such and i will return it in spades. :wink:

Dear quiltncrazy,

Glad you have a place to vent!! No one needs to be treated unkindly or like a thief and most shopkeepers seem to be very nice and helpful. Times are hard and everyone seems to be watching their budget. Isnt it nice we have a place to come where others understand. :)

Keep quilting and enjoying it :)

Margie

My LQS has been great--I bought a very expensive machine from them and they have enticed me to always shop there first. Unfortunately, they don't carry everything I am interested in. That said, I refuse to pay three times the price for a blade that I can get elsewhere...I think we are all feeling the pinch.

I agree, it is important to support local stores. But here in the UK it is worrying that we have had many well established, large, chain, national stores go bankrupt, so if they cannot cope at the moment I fear for the independant places.

I am cutting back on EVERYTHING, but if I do have to buy some fabric I will go to the one and only quilting store near me, rather that the chain craft shop. The chain store is a bit cheaper, but has less choice and is not as friendly!

This is my first post, and I have to say I am ambivilant about the whole LQS thing. When I first began quilting, it was because of the young girl in my home town who opened her own quilting shop ( her dream) I became a friend and enjoyed the social atmosphere there, I was even welcome to just spend the pm having a coffee and working on a project randomly ( young mom needed a day away! LOL) When she sold the store and moved away, I continued patronizing the shop with the new owner, who also becam a friend. I spent as much as I could afford to there, mostly on the specialty items the Fabricland 40 mins away did not carry. Also took classes at the LQS. In my new place, the folks at the LQS are not as friendly or welcoming, and are much more "business like" The girls at the Fabricland, on the other hand, know me by name, and are always willing to give me a hand when I need it ( one is a passionate quilter) I guess what I am saying is that the personal touch means a lot to me, but in the end I will mostly shop where I can get the most yaradage for my money .

Had to post this after my nasty post before...LOL

My LQS just got taken over by new owners. They have a job opening. I wish I could apply, but I really don't have the time with my other job. Now that someone else owns it, I can't wait to get in there and check it out again:)

I guess their bad customer service really did them in.

Lynette

I just re-read my post and although it's all true, I was on a vent. I'm sure in everyday life these two ladies are very nice ppl, but when in business, you just have to go that extra bit, bc customers in, especially a small store, (mom and pop type) feel a little, well, shy. They are on someone else's turf, so to speak.
    tricia, I just love what you did for this little lady with the consignment shop. That is just the nicest story and she will never forget it.
    We do have to find a balance between loyalty and our pocketbook. It's life, but I would rather buy a little less fabric bc it costs a bit more, if the service is good. Isn't that why we all came here? We love the atmosphere? :D :D :D

I always shop sales for fabric and notions whether it be Joann's or my LQS, but I never return to a LQS if I have been treated rudely or if I feel my business is not appreciated no matter how enticing their sale. I give some slack to Joann's where service is uneven -- sometimes rude but mostly courteous -- because you just can't beat their prices during their big sales and their 40% and 50% coupons and promotions. This economy makes me much more selective in where I spend my precious dollars.

merchants may be aware, (if they stop and think about it), that word of mouth is everything but i think they are suffering from, just about what a lot of ppl are these days...lack of impulse control. please me now...I want what I want, when i want it. PPl look down on the younger generation, but really...how DID they get that way? some of it is, peer influence, but my theory is: for generations, maybe goes all the way back...children were second rate or less...then came the baby boomers and things were changing, and although I came from that generation, they found just enough voice and freedom etc. many grew up with issues. They were determined to do it different than their own parents and went too far. Now how did all this come from economic woes? negativity spreads like a ripple on water. So does happiness. I gotta go get in touch with my inner happy person. 'scuse me, couldn't eat till mid afternoon and had blood drawn and a shot. Where's my kitty cats? giving love always multiplies it. :wink:

I have to say one of the things I love most of all about living in South Korea is that quilting fabric - good quilting fabric, the same stuff I bought in the States - sells for about $2.30 a yard!!!!

I have bought so MUCH fabric and there's still so much to buy.

wow, 2.30 a yard! I have had to really reign myself in about fabric buying, but if I could get it for that price...I'm afraid i would feel a "falling off the wagon" but you know, I think us quilters look at our fabric shopping as an investment in the future.
    Don't most of us quilt and craft as gifts for other ppl? That is how i accumulated so much stuff. Before hubby built shelves, I had bins with ppl's names on them.
    :D 2.30 a yard...wow, how much is a plane ticket?...oh yeah, I don't fly, lol!

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter blogged about this very thing today. Bad customer service.
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2009/...charlotte.html

Interesting site. Thanks for posting it. If only merchants had a clue about what keeps and what drives away customers.

As a new quilter, I've only begun to discover the my LQS within a reasonable driving distance... There are 4 within a 30 minute driving radius and altho my budget is tight, I prefer to spend at the LQS because I want my $$ to stay in my community and support the mom & pop stores. So, I don't spend as much but, its always great fun when I can.

The other reason I prefer going to the LQS, is because the folks running it can help me with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersmurf
    I have to say one of the things I love most of all about living in South Korea is that quilting fabric - good quilting fabric, the same stuff I bought in the States - sells for about $2.30 a yard!!!!

I have bought so MUCH fabric and there's still so much to buy.
    Gingersmurf--Are you buying the fabric from Korea on a website? If so, we would love to "surf" as well. Wow, what a price.

On the subject of the thread, I try to support our LQS but am also trying to support online "stores" as well. Let's just spread our $ around and try to help everyone stay afloat during these difficult financial times.

I have read every post in this thread with interest. Everyone seems very passionate about this subject.

I have three quilt shops within a 40 mile drive of my house (I live "in the country" so everything is a drive). I am fortunate that each of them is special and unique in its own way. The one thing they all have in common is wonderful, friendly, helpful staff!! I love to shop in all of them. They are willing to help and make suggestions if you want it, but, by the same token, will leave you alone to browse, if that is what you want to do. All three of them will special order any item I ask for and they all have great sales. I would miss any of these shops if they went out of business and I try to support each of them to the best of my budget.

My favorite on-line quilt shop is http://fatquarterquilters.com/ She is based out of Atlanta and also has wonderful customer service. I have sent her emails to ask questions about quilting books or patterns and she is always quick with a response. When I place an order it is shipped the same day. Again-wonderful customer service.

I am fortunate to have these resources at my disposal and do not take them for granted. Times are tough now, but we will get through this!!

I mentioned earlier that I hated my LQS. It has been sold and I just had to go visit:)

They have much better hrs than before. The women there are Wonderful! I just asked if they carried the type of quilting needle I like. She wrote it down and said she would order it right away. She took my name and number to call when they come in. I was really impressed. I also heard her offer to order something for someone else. They have a special everyday. (that one is going to kill me..LOL). Today they had all FQ for $1.89 and 1/4 yd cuts (rolled FQ to me) for $1.49, and Thimbleberries and RJR were 35% off. I wished I had my paycheck cashed and with me...sigh....

Anway, I did buy some FQ and I will be back there as often as I can.

Lynette

awesome! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2