Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric quality at chain stores >

Fabric quality at chain stores

Fabric quality at chain stores

Old 10-22-2013, 04:02 AM

Doesn't it somewhat depend on what you are making? A table runner won't require the quality of fabric that a quilt that is going to get used regularly would.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Many years ago I was told of the 'scrub' test especially for wrinkling effect. It still works !
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
i think of it this way: Each of us needs to shop differently, based on our own personal budgets. No quilt police allowed to judge what we use for our quilts unless they want to buy the fabric for us.
amen!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I think of it this way: Each of us needs to shop differently, based on our own personal budgets. No quilt police allowed to judge what we use for our quilts UNLESS they want to buy the fabric for us.
I agree!!!!! Joanns has some top quality fabric which is often on sale. the regular price is same a LQS but is often on sale. they also still carry the less quality fabric. so you need to beware. Also Joanns will take back uncut fabric unlike LQS. I just bought 2 yrs of fabric from LQS that I have decided not to use and I will have to keep it. Maybe will use for another project or backing but I hate "wasting" $25 to sit in my stash or for backing.

I agree that Hobby lobby fabric is nice quality and a good price. I just wish they would change the color ways/pattern more frewwwwquently.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 AM

I think when a new sewer has a question, ' buy what you like' doesn't really help. You have to know what the standards are first. Go to a good quilt fabric store and look at the fabric, and check out the quality brands. I have never had a Moda, Timeless Treasures or P&B fabric I didn't like. See what makes a good fabric good. Maybe even buy a yard or two and wash it, cut it and sew it. Then you can see what to look for at Joann's and walmart. If you don't know how good 'good fabric' is, you will have nothing to compare it to when you look at lesser quality fabric. If you decide Walmart fabric is fine, and you have taken the time to make a comparison to higher quality fabric, that's where ' buy what you like' comes in. But if you think Walmart fabric is the industry standard and that's all you will have to work with, that's different. But at least if you do some research on your own, you will be able to make an informed decision on what quality of fabric you want to work with.

Last edited by quiltmom04; 10-22-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I buy my fabric from all different sources. On line of course I can not see or feel it so try to stay with designers I know are good. If in store I go buy the feel and sight. I need to watch the budget so I just do the best I can.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM

What I like about the nicer quality fabric is that it doesn't bleed as much, so much softer and washes better. After all the work one puts into a quilt, to me it's worth the price to have the finished product last longer and look better.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Romille, You have been attacked by fabric snobs! Read many posts on this site and you will find people chortling over fabric they bought at yard sales, garage sales, thrift shops, etc. Unless that fabric has a designer or manufacturer name on the selvedge, the buyer has no idea where it originated. No one in a block swap would know where fabric came from, even if it were sleazy. They would just know it was not good fabric. I once took several fat quarters to a quilt guild where there were several quilt snobs and asked them to identify the Wal Mart fabric. I also had fabric from Jo Ann, Hobby Lobby and a quilt shop. Each of the fabrics got just about equal picks.

If you don't know about "hand," get someone who is experienced picking fabric to teach you. You can tell by touching the fabric what is good and what isn't by the way it feels. There is a lot of information about how fabric companies "finish" fabrics on the Net if you want to look it up

Please pay no attention to snobs of any variety! froggyintexas
Originally Posted by romille View Post
I am still new to the sewing world. The fabric at places like JoAnn always seemed a little sub par to me, but I figured I was just being biased or something. Recently though I have heard a couple comments that make me think their fabric might really be of lower quality.

The first was my mother, who doesn't sew, but has a friend that quilts. I was curious and asked where her friend shopped. She said her friend doesn't shop at the chain stores because of fabric quality, but wasn't sure on the reasoning.

The second was a comment on a fabric swap forum thread that said some swaps don't allow fabric from chains like JoAnn, Wal-Mart, or Hobby Lobby. I wasn't sure if that is due to quality or just to avoid duplicates in the swap.

What are your opinions on chain store fabric? Why do some avoid it?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM

I don't go to Joanns very often but was there over the weekend and found they have a selection of very nice fabrics of a higher quality than most of what's on their quilting wall. The price was higher, but not as bad still under $10/yd. As everyone is saying, you have to be vigilant and bring your critical assessment skills with you when you shop anywhere.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 PM

The feel of the fabric along with the color/design is what I go by to determine whether or not I want to buy it. Sometimes I will go ahead and get something of slightly looser weave if it is not going to be a major player in my design, but is the color I need. I'm not trying to create heirlooms at this point.