Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric quality at chain stores >

Fabric quality at chain stores

Fabric quality at chain stores

Old 10-22-2013, 12:26 PM

I have a friend that works at Wal-Mart. Recently she was helping restock the fabric department that has recently been reinstalled at one of my local stores. I asked her if Wal-Mart specifically has any of their fabrics manufactured specifically for them and she told me no. Wal-Mart, like many stores, Tuesday Morning, etc., go to distributor warehouses and buy what is available that is overstock from fabric stores, etc. If you know what you're looking for, especially if you can feel a fabric and tell, you can buy some good fabrics at reasonable prices at local Wal-Marts.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Look out for stores that sell job lot fabrics, they normally are very high end fabrics at rock bottom prices..
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Learn what to look and feel for. large chain stores do carry some quality fabrics but you have to feel it, check the draping and how much light comes thru it when held up to a light. If you can see your hand thru a fabric it is most likely too thin to quilt with.

I do avoid most fat quarters at chain stores. They seem to be really inferior.

I have also seen bad fabric at LQS. So learn what to look for.
peace
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM

i have paid $12 a yard for fabric from my local quilt shop that was thin, hard to press, and had slubbed flaws in it. I also have bought fabric off the clearance rack at WalMart for $1 a yard that was heavy and made a beautiful quilt for my Mom's 90th birthday. I would not paint all fabric from anywhere with the same brush. Just touch it and look it over before you buy, no matter what kind of vendor you choose.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Believe it or not, some of the best flannel I've found, came from WalMart! I don't know whether or not they still carry it but it was called 'Super Flannel' and was much heavier than the regular stuff. I only saw it, in solids.
The old name for this product is "outing flannel". That is what diapers used to made from.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Fabric quality will vary from not only store to store, but bolt to bolt as well. You can and will find great fabrics at Walmart and JoAnn's. You will also find crappy fabric at WalMart and JoAnn's. LQS will also have the same issues. You are the purchaser and the person responsible for determining if the fabric is of good enough quality for you - not the lady down the street. I shop with coupons at JoAnn's, the clearance rack at WalMart, or wherever I can find decent fabric at a good price. I also order from Connecting Threads and have always been happy with their quality. I wish the process of finding good quality fabric was easier, but it is what it is.
I agree totally with this.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:07 AM

What differentiates the quality of one fabric from another imho and experience. You typically get what you pay for cpmparing regular price.

Thread count (density)
colorfastness (will it fade?)
detail in the print
depth of colorations in the detail of the print

sizing on the fabric may actually hide the true hand (feel) of the fabric.

Sandy
Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 AM

I have sewn for 30 years. Using mostly chain store fabric because it was in my budget. Lately I have been using Quilt shop fabric because I bought fabric from a shop that was closing. OOOOh what a difference, I still will use chain store fabric if I have to but my life was so much easier with the "good stuff". I asked why the difference in quality when sometimes it's only a few dollars difference in price, chain stores go through 5 process's with their fabric, quilt shops 8 or 9. Therefore the better quality fabric comes from the store that has the most process's to their fabric, (quilt shops). Not advertising for them just saying....
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM

I have seen sub par fabric in good quilt stores and I have seen good quality fabric at JoAnn's and Walmart. I hold myself accountable for the quality of the fabric I buy, not the store. If I buy sub par fabric, I have only myself to blame. My point is, you can get good and bad fabric at the chain stores, just like with your LQS.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM

I love Hobby Lobby fabric. Each time I go in there, I head for the fabric department.