Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric quality at chain stores >

Fabric quality at chain stores

Fabric quality at chain stores

Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 AM

My motto is "Buy what you can afford." If Joann or Hobby Lobby is what you can afford, buy that. If you can afford quilt shop quality, buy that. I buy only on sale, from shops or online, only buy notions and batting from Joann with a coupon. I carry a small piece of Moda (my favorite) fabric in my purse so I can compare quality if I am tempted to buy from Joann, Hobby Lobby or Walmart.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM

I agree about JoAnn fabrics having less and less of the better fabrics. I don't go in there without a coupon anymore and am buying less and less there every month. I do like 2 quilt shops in my area, but prices are a bit higher. I do like my quilt shop's sale corner for 1/2 yd pieces and discounted bolts. I have had good luck at Hobby Lobby, but the selection is a lot smaller. I also like Fabric.com , hancock of Paducah, and equilter.com on line and have always found great stuff from all of them.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 AM

The idea that the only place to find good fabric is a quilt shop is simply not true. I bought a lovely pink flannel to make a whole cloth baby blanket with. I threw it in the washer and then the dryer as I do with anything made with fabric. I took it out of the dryer, took it upstairs and started to fold it to put it away. Thats when I noticed the flaw right down the middle of that lovely pink flannel. Well, there went my wholecloth baby quilt project. Darn it! I can still use it, but I will have to swiss cheese the fabric and cut around the flaw running down the middle of the fabric.The idea that all Wal-Mart fabrics are subpar is not accurate. I have bought beautiful fabrics at Wal-Mart and some fabrics that I liked less. I have bought beautiful fabrics at my LQS and I hve seen some fabrics that I really disliked. But to say that all Wal-Mart,Joanns,etc fabrics are subpar simply isn't the truth. The Wal-Marts near me have lovely fabrics,quilting fabrics,upholstery fabrics,apparel fabrics. Don't allow the quilt police to keep you away from Wal-Marts and others and only go to local quilt stores. Try any and all and you will gain experience and you will be able to judge for yourself. I don't mean that you have to buy yards and yards, buy enough fabric to make something small, a table runner for instance. Have fun and enjoy the process. There will always be people who ONLY buy a certain type of car, a certain type of appliance,a certain brand of clothes. Part of life should be trying new things. Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Believe it or not, some of the best flannel I've found, came from WalMart! I don't know whether or not they still carry it but it was called 'Super Flannel' and was much heavier than the regular stuff. I only saw it, in solids.
The WalMarts in S.Cal do not carry super flannel and what they do carry is just a notch above cheesecloth after pre-washing.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I was in Jo'anns on Sunday. I did buy some Kona. The woman cutting asked my If I knew about the new quilt shop not too far from JA's. I said I was headed there next. It was interesting her next comment was ." the Keepsake fabris keep getting to be a lower quality every few months" she then said " I work her but now I won't buy most of the quilters fabrics".
When even the staff is open about the loss of quality ... Inspect carefully.
I had the same experience when discussing flannel at a Joanns. The clerk agreed that the flannel is garbage and as she always makes pjs for her grandchildren she now buys it at a nearby quilt for a much higher price.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 AM

A while back I read that mfgs sometimes will print the same design on a lower quality fabric for the chain stores. So I always check the quality of the fabric at a chain store instead of assuming that because a fabric is made from one of my favorite mfgs that it is a high quality fabric. We have a store that buys the end run of fabrics and those are a terrific bargin! I can get a $12 fabric for $2 there. Just learned that a similar things goes on at these factory outlet malls. Some of the stores have special things made for their outlet store, so you never see an outfit there that you have seen at their not-outlet store.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM

For years, my budget would only allow me to shop at chain/discount fabric stores. When I was able to upgrade to quilt shop fabrics, I NEVER went back! And now, with all the online sites - that most carry high quality brand name fabric, you can find sales that makes the high quality fabrics almost the same price as the cheaper ones. You will NOT be disappointed buying better fabric.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
c You want to buy the best quality fabric if you are going to put all your time and effort into making a quilt, even for the dog !!!
I totally don't agree with spending money on the best fabric if you are making it for your dog! Not me. I understand the philosophy of spending a lot on fabric for a quilt for people, but not for animals.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM

I started reading this subject yesterday and had planned to 'look' for a bolt of solid 30's green at JA's this Friday. BUT, today I went to Connecting Threads and bought a nice green for less than $3. per yard and I like the quality of their fabrics.
Wanted some Insul-Bright to make some window quilts and low and behold fabric.com was cheaper than JA's--yup-ordered what I needed from them. Fabric.com had the original price less than JA's sale price.
I have 2, 50% coupons and can not come up with anything I need to use them on.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
ro
Banned

i recently went to a joanns in honesdale, pa. i was looking for halloween or thanksgiving fabric. the bolt i picked up was marked $12 a yard it was on the rack w/$6 a yd. i felt it and it was really junky. i then thought maybe they made a mistake and asked the cashier. oh no, that's the new pricing. well i remarked to my husband it was not good quality and another woman overheard me and said the same thing. that the quality was not there and it was a good thing she had a stash because she was not going to pay for inferior material. if i'm spending time and effort into making something, i want it to last and not fall apart w/the first washing. i'm not buying joanns fabric and they can keep their coupons which you usually cant use anyway. i'd rather shop my local fabric shop, make less quilts, and get a better quality fabric.