Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric stashes >

Fabric stashes

Fabric stashes

Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM

My prayer is that I am healthy and live long enough to use all the fabric I have lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM

How big is my stash? Very small. If at any time you want to share some let me know. Just send it my way!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dianne1
I think the reality show Hoarders, should take a look as some of us quilters.
I was thinking some quilters have definite issues with collecting fabric. I have a decent enough stash, but can't stay out of the stores! Something always catches my eye.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure exactly, but I have 20 73 gal (approx.) in my LR/DR, along with about 10 more in my bedroom and closet. This is about1/2 to 3/4 of what I originally had in my 3-bedroom house before we moved to a 2-bedroom apt. My husband gritched about that amount, while my girlfriend was tickled pink that I had whittled it down so far. I have since re-sorted and refolded about a third of those bins, so I have even gotten rid of 3 -4 bins that size. I just did a family reunion quilt for the July 4th family reunion, and didn't have to buy any additional fabric. Yes!!! I was very proud of myself. Part of that was because my family sends fabric in various sizes once I pick a color, and I come up with the background and backing fabric. Fortunately, my girlfriend, who inherited most of my stash remembered a large piece of fabric that I had given to her, so there was the backing fabric. Even when I ran out of the one background fabric (because I improperly cut some too short), I switched to another one - I figured if I had trouble seeing which side was the front and which was the back, my family wouldn't notice that it was different. And if they do, tough. I personally was very proud of the amount of fabric I purged and what I brought with me. Actual yardage - anybody's guess.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 PM

I am so not going there. I have a stash. Is it organized, not yet. Do I have projects - oh yea. Some days I want to chuck it, but then I get sane again and naw, I will keep it for just a little longer. One of these days keeps right on slipping by me.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure how much there is in the various places. I'm in the process of redoing a redo of my sewing room.

I have this problem that I get an idea for a quilt. I have to wash the fabric, wait for it to dry then iron it. By the time it's ironed, I'm thinking another project.

Here is part of my stash.

This is only a small portion of the fabric. Look close...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244947[/ATTACH]

Luna kitty has made a bed out of it. A few minutes later she slid off head first. But she landed on her feet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244948[/ATTACH]

Where ever there is fabric, there is at least 1 cat! That's why the new room has all kinds of plastic bins! Lucky, Lucy and Luna
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244949[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244941.jpe   attachment-244942.jpe   attachment-244943.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:25 PM

I just visited my friend out of the city and what a surprise. She has become a fairly active quilter in fits and starts and has more fabric than I have ever seen up close and personal. And it is everywhere - in bins, boxes, on the floor, on chairs and tables. I have but a small portion of what she has and I feel uncomfortable with my stash and am doing my best to get rid of it. I promise not to buy because at the moment I like it - only what is absolutely essential. OMG!!!! who would've thought!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

1 large rubbermaid. not the huge one. just a large clear tub. and 2 15x15 x6 drawers. little sewing space here so I kinda buy per project.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Originally Posted by A1penny
I have known a quilter and teacher for many years, but had NO idea what her stash was like! She came to our guild to speak, and told us that she BOUGHT a second apartment just for all her quilting STUFF!
haha, I can't afford fabric, bills, eating and feeding the teenagers all at the same time. not to mention the vet. I have not seen a dr in over 5 yrs. no, stash is not in my vocabulary. but project by projec,t I rob peter and pay a fabric store! life is different for everyone and so are our priorities and circumstances. some of your stash pics are mouth watering!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
lue

I would have had a different answer to the stash question had you asked on Friday. Yesterday I went to a quilter's stash estate sale (the lady died at 80+ and had some fabric from JCPenny when it sold fabric). The sale had begun on Friday with fabric in bins sorted by color and when my friend went on Friday morning there were TABLES of bins (bins were also owned by the deceased) down the drive way and into the garage. By the time I arrived there were only bins in the garage and they were still full! They said the woman could go to her garage and tell you which bin to look in for which specific fabric. She was a fabric hoarder but actually found time to make quilts!

They sold the fabric (1/2-5 yard pieces) by the pound at $5 per pound but reduced it to $4 per pound since it was the afternoon of the 2nd day. I had set a budget of $20 and when I told her that, she sold me the fabric I had selected for the $20 even though it was supposed to be $56.

I then bought wonderful quilt books that were 10% of the purchase price!!

Wish I could have gone on Friday but I had to work to pay for this stash building habit!!