Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gremlins in my sewing room??? >

Gremlins in my sewing room???

Gremlins in my sewing room???

Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM

I haven't lost any machine parts lately, but hid the money, over $1,000, we got from a rummage sale we had and I can't remember where I put it, it must be my age.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Last year I lost my seam ripper for about 3 months. I knew it had to be in the sewing room somewhere-wasn't expensive but the only one I had. Drove me crazy-I swear I tore that place apart. The computer is on the inside wall by the doorway and the sewing machine on the outside wall. On the left side is a big filing cabinet and on the right a small cutting table. I can't tell you how many times I looked for the seam ripper. One day I had finished looking at the computer and swiveled my chair to look out the window. As I turned I see the seam ripper in plain sight on the edge of the cutting table. How I missed it I have no idea. Irronically, soon after finding it I broke it and had to replace it anyway.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM

I just had to add to this post...I thought I was going to make my daughter a wedding ring quilt..and I knew I had the template..nice pink acrylic one...the last time I re-arranged my sewing room...I put things away in my cabinets and drawers..used a notebook and wrote everything that was in each cabinet and drawer..cause I have a lot of cabinets and drawers..so if I couldn't remember where something was..I could just look in the notebook..well...needless to say..I looked for several days and couldn't find the template..looked in every drawer, cabinet...and anything else that could hold something...finally after about a week of searching I opened the last cabinet door and there it was ...all in its shining glory..I could have sworn it was smiling at me..like it knew I had been searching for it...after all of that...the daughter has to make up her mind what fabric she wants now...the template is in another safe place...hope I can remember where....LOL
Hope you find your foot soon....
Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Take a piece of paper about the size of the missing object, wad it up so that it fits into your hand. Then find a place to put "it" away. Some times this works. You are the same person as you were when you laid it down last time. You will put it in the same place.

Marcia
Nice idea.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
Check underneath your sewing table or desk. I lost the quarter inch foot and I spent hours looking for it. Finally found it under my sewing desk while giving a very thorough (rare!) vacuuming. I am still looking for my little scissors...maybe I should do another good vacuuming, lol.

If the Gremlins are taking things, I hope they take all the trash on the floor, a good vacumning would help.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM

When you stop stressing about it is when it'll just turn up!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Last week, at a retreat, I was being very careful to put everything away at night. After putting everything in it's place, I noticed my awl still on the sewing table. I remember putting it in the big travel box, on top of everything else. Next AM it wasn't there. Took everything out of that box, very carefully. It was inside my box of hand work tools. That day, while working all my tools kept falling on the floor, so I put the awl into my pin/trash collector. Forgot. Cleaned up to leave the next day and dumped the trash collector. Our hostess found it. Boy was I imbarrassed to have thrown it in the trash when I'd made such a big deal out of it the day before.

DH is the best at searching. And I've learned, never put my keys in a safe place, just toss them on the counter.

When I was packing for the retreat, couldn't find my walking foot. Gave up for a while. Then remembered, I'd seen it in a very unusual place...... THINK..... maybe in the bottom drawer...... Oh Yeh! I took it to a class to show the students and had thrown it into the bag with assortment of threads and needles.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Happens to me--do not have garbage can too close to sewing machine but close by. I put my garbage can lining bags close and sometimes things fall in them--have found items in them !
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Right now I am in a quandry because the folks remodeling our house lost a drawer from my desk. The desk sits in an area that is very visible. It matches all the cabinets in the house. I wanted to scream but that won't help. I am still mad as all get out.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM

When I am at my wits end, I sit down and pray. I tell God my problem, and more often than not I find what I had lost pretty quickly.