Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gremlins in my sewing room??? >

Gremlins in my sewing room???

Gremlins in my sewing room???

Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM

I have a little prayer that I say when I lose something...........St. Anthony....St. Anthony please come down, somethings lost and must be found!!! You'd be surprised how many times this has worked!! Believe me he really knows his way around my house by now! Hope you find it..........
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Reading your post was like deja vu for me. I went through this exact same process about my expensive Bernina walking foot a few weeks ago, including the sick worry that it may have been pushed off the table into the waste basket that had gone to the curb the previous day! Forcing myself to breath slowly in and out, I retraced my steps for a third time and finally found it - in the very first place I'd looked. For some reason I had not returned it to the box where it belongs, but I had put it in the drawer next to the box and didn't see it the first or second time I looked there.

I have a sewing table with a recess for the machine, and frequently things fall in on the side by the motor, and sometimes they fall in such a way that they are out of sight underneath the moveable platform that the machine sits on. If you have a hiding place like that, it would be worth checking. It may have fallen during the move and bounced or scooted under furniture anywhere between point A and point B. Another place to look is near the phone or the door because you may have had it in your hand when the phone or doorbell rang. Another idea: maybe it got folded into a quilt you were working on. If so, it will probably fall out and hit your big toe because that's just how things tend to show up after they've been out on a spree. I hope you find it soon!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 AM

Glad it is not just me! My latest missing item is the insides of my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 manual! I have the cover, front and back, but the rest has gone missing....... I really doubt I could have pitched it by mistake, too big, but have searched everywhere to no avail. Aaaaaaargh.....I was told it would be $50+ to replace it. Hope you find it! I do love my Pfaff....great machine.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Well, I've been sitting here coming awake at the morning session of this wonderful forum....and if all else fails, I have a quilting foot that came with my new Janome a couple of months ago--$50 item that I will never use because I am the proud and happy owner of a Gammill.....PM me and you can have it--and when you find your own, you can pay it forward to someone else who will lose hers....we can call it the traveling quilting foot.

This has happened to me just recently, in my canning season. I use SureJell for making my jelly and jam; and SureJell has STOPPED putting their instructions in the box.....when I made my first batch of jelly a few weeks ago and used my last box of SureJell (and of course pitched the instructions when I finished that batch) and told the DH t bring me some more SureJell when he went to the store. Now picture this if you will, I got all my stuff out to finish making my jelly from the day before, and checked the box for the instructions. NO INSTRUCTIONS, instead "go to www SureJell.com for such and such.......Now, I say ARGHHHHHHHH.....and run to the garbage can to dig out yesterday's piece of paper with SureJell instructions. Luckily, they hadn't been pitched overnight; DH is pretty diligent to take care of the garbage every evening.

One day last week, one of my sons brought me in a bucket of crab apples; I went looking for my instructions for making crab apple jelly. Not to be found.......I am still looking for them. I gave the cooked-down juice to my sister, and she can go to the www.SureJell site.

So, good luck in your search for your quilting foot. And please let us know if you find it. And if not, if mine will work for you, get in touch with me.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 AM

I had an antique silver and gold thimble that my grandmother gave me years ago (40's or 50's), and said it had been her mothers. I have kept it all these years until about 6 months ago. I was sure it had ended up in one particular trash can which I had asked my husband to empty as it was right under my cutting table, so you know it gets full. I did not know the thimble was missing until after the trash can was out in the street, so after looking every place for weeks I just assumed that I had lost the antique thimble. About a week ago I opened a sewing kit I hadn't used in ages, and guess what stared my in the face. I hadn't lost my antique thimble after all, just had put it away. Maybe you'll be as lucky with your even feed foot.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM

Did you fold up any fabric it could be caught up in? That is something I have done before when making a move.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

I agree with everyone else - you'll eventually find it and say, 'NOW I remember putting it there.' I'll probably be writing a similar thread soon after I return to AZ. We moved into a new house 2 weeks before we left AZ in April. My sewing room is all in boxes. I'm eager to get back to AZ, but I know it's going to be several weeks of frustration before everything is back in the right place again. And first, we have to visit IKEA to buy the storage stuff to build the new sewing room. Now, THAT'S exciting!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Just look for something else that you need to find. It always works for me. I then find the item that I am not looking for. How about fabric for another quilt top. WOW you then will find the foot to quilt. Good luck I know you will find it.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM

You have to stop thinking about it and then you will either find it or remember where it is. Theother day I was trying to find the border fabric for a quilt and I looked and looked and looked. I always put all the extra fabric associated with a quilt together until it is completely done. I could not find any of the fabric so I knew it had to be all together someplace. I looked for two days and then gave up. I was sitting reading and all of a sudden it came to me where it was - it was all in the basket I recently got and thought would be a good place to hold fabric while working on a quilt. Just got to stop thinking about it and it will come.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM

I lost ,of all things, my passport. I had used it for filling in some forms, and was sure I put it back in it,s secure place. A week later when I was getting ready to travel, I could not find it. It was a case of an emergency dash to the passport office for a very expensive replacement ( I had only changed it 6 months before). A week after I arrived home, I was turning the cushions on the sofa, and you have guessed it, there was my lost passport underneath a cushion. Have no idea how it got there.