Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gremlins in my sewing room??? >

Gremlins in my sewing room???

Gremlins in my sewing room???

Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM

I loved this discussion. I am always loosing things. I just spent a month looking for my little Clover iron. You know the one that looks like a curling iron. Couldn't find it, so I bought another. I thought it would show up then--it hasn't. A couple of years ago I parked in short term parking at the airport and put the ticket in a "safe place" so I could find it on the way out. Couldn't find it and had to pay for a full day's parking instead of an hour--not cheap. Found it when I got home, and it was indeed in a safe place. My problem is that I can remember putting the item in a safe place but can't remember where I thought the safe place was. My DH is always loosing his car keys, and I have to help him find them daily. That's why I loose things--I have to remember where he has put his things!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Sue
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM

I hope you find it. I like the suggestion of using something else and it will turn up when you least expect it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
A while back I moved my sewing area into its own new studio. Last night, I was ready to quilt a baby quilt, and went to the Viking even feed foot box, and the even feed foot was not there!! I am "anal" about putting things back (most of the time), but moving everything and setting up everything, some things have "disappeared". Where in the world is that walking foot?? I checked every drawer, every cabinet, every little place, but no foot!!! This foot is very expensive $50++, it is the low shank, any suggestions where this guy could be hiding? I am not going to buy another one, extra quilting funds are tight right now. I hope it did not fall into the garbage can that I keep under the sewing machine. The last time I used it was right before we moved the room.

My sister suggests that this is a subliminal message from my 875Q, i bought a Pfaff quilt expressions 4.0, and will be selling the 875Q (maybe).
I know the feeling about things falling into the trash can....I lost two embroidery cards ($100.00 each) because I had the trash can right beneath the area where I laid the two cards. I was sick!!! Needless to say, I don't use my cards around a trash can any more. Expensive lesson to say the least.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM

I'm sure it will turn up when you're not looking for it. That's happened to me a few times. One time I could not my quilting gloves. I tore the place apart looking for them. Finally decided to buy a new set. A few weeks later, I found them. Another time I posted an address I needed on my cork board until I needed it. When I needed it, I couldn't find it anywhere. I finally decided to ask the person for it again. This time I was sure I wouldn't lose it. I posted it on my bulletin board - right next to the one I couldn't find!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Go to your closet and check every pocket in there. If it's not there go to your coat closet and check there. I am forever putting something in my pocket then forgetting it until I put that coat or garment on again. Good luck!!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 PM

I would say 'what fabric were you working with?'

I use our table for sewing. I just about always have my machine on it. I cut on the island, and then often have to move my mat to the table, to clear the island.

I was working on a friend's stylist, took all of it's tops off. Much later, I gave that machine to my OSMG, and couldn't find the flat plate that went under the handwheel. I looked under my fridge, under the freezer, just everywhere I could think of!

I took the machine anyway, it was probably going for parts.

A month later, I dug into my stash for something, and there it was. When I had packed up my table for us to (actually) eat on, the metal piece got hidden.

I should have thought of that -- I have done it before! Whatever I am cutting or auditioning will be hiding an important school note, or recipe too!
good luck!!

Keep us posted ;0))
Old 08-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Misery loves company and I'm so glad to learn I'm not alone. I sometimes think my brain has no idea what my hands are doing and my hands just put stuff down in random places. Sure hope your walking foot turns up soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:22 PM

I can't find my Viking elastic foot! I have searched through everything 5 times. So, I bought a new one. I put the new one (still in the package) by the machine. Now I am waiting for the lost one to show up. Then I will return the new one! Sound logical to me, how about to you?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM

Spent hours today looking for a vintage manual that I was sure was put away with my Fl stuff --did not find it and I've gone thru this 3 x's now . I give up --must be in Fl as NOT here. Like Susie I try to pay attention when I put things away.
Hope you find your " FOOT" soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Bought some fabric for a class quilt. Got it ready to use, and put it away. Class was weeks away. Time to start getting things ready for class. Couldn't find the fabric. Looked for days and finally bought new. Made quilt. Weeks later found fabric hanging over a hanger in the closet. I never did that before. Luckily the fabric was a neutral and can be used in most anything.