Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Need Motivation Quickly! >

Help! Need Motivation Quickly!

Help! Need Motivation Quickly!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mynani
I have to go against most of the board and agree with having someone else finish the quilt. Your daug. and grands deserve so much better than him. Spend your time making them quilts filled love. If he ever learns how to treat them you can make him one also filled with love. We too often condone BAD behavior by being accepting and silently offering up prayers. I believe Jesus wanted some action put into our words. Oh well I will also pray for your family........... I've been there, on both sides.
I totally agree with you.....we keep letting bad behavior happen without saying or doing anything about it and then wonder why bad things happen!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Pretend you are making it for your DD or your GS's. Keep praying for your SIL.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM

I agree with Patrice, and at the same time I understand fully (won't go into why) that he needs lots and lots of love and demonstration of it. Anyone that much of a controller is in bad need of lots of love. You don't have to love him for who he is, but for who he is to your daughter and her children. that might make it easier
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CRicart
Pray as you go. Prayer is the best gift, and if he does not change, you have at least been in a better place as you work.
I think you are within your rights to insist he clean up his language in your hosue. We limit smokers, don't we? A simple statement of "That is not acceptable here" is factual, non-judgemental and sets an example for the kids that you have standards for polite conversation. If you don't, the kids will be using these words to you!
Hugs,
Christine
Absolutely if he is offensive in any way in your home tell him he needs to stop or leave immediately, that it is not acceptable in your home.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 AM

May I add my 2cents worth here? I also have an abusive relative-in-law who infuriates me & everyone else he knows. The thing I tell my niece & her child is that I'm here for them. (Her mother seems to be oblivious to the jerk's attitude problems). Say it often. One day they will remember what you said to them. Then the door will be open for the help they will need.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 PM
PEP

No encouragement. All I can say (and this is what I had to tell myself), "just do it!" And tell the rude testosterone driven lower than pond slime to not talk like that in your home, or find the door! sorry, no patience with him or myself! my thoughts and prayers are with you. Patty
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by PEP
And tell the rude testosterone driven lower than pond slime to not talk like that in your home, or find the door!
LOL! Thank you! The thing people need to realize is that regardless of whether you teach your children that curse words are "bad words" or not, you still need to respect the wishes of those around you (especially if one of them happens to be your mother-in-law) and particularly if you happen to be in someone else's home.

Personally, at my house, we teach the kids that those words are "adult words" and not to be used by children - that doesn't mean that my husband and I go to our grandmothers' houses and curse up a storm. It's all about respecting the people around you.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM

I don't blame you for not liking a man like that. It would maybe easier if you think about your daughter and grandchildren while you work on the quilt?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 PM

I put my intentions into my work, so keep going. The more you want to see him overcome his negative tendencies, the more beautiful your end result will be....