Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hiding Fabric Purchases >

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I sneek it in my gym bag, or leave it in the car until I know he's out of site. Also the laundry room is right across from the garage so I can hurry up and throw it in there.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 AM

Hi there....I have the opposite problem with DH, he goes with me on shop hops etc even if he is the only male on a bus of 50 women.
He also shops on e-bay and we are trying to encourage him to sew his first quilt. I love that he is interested in my hobby. He even researched the long arm quilt machines and purchased the lovely addition to my sewing studio....the Gamil Optimum plus....she is lovely and she works with me every day to ensure I have a very beautiful finished product.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236208.png  
Old 08-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I have no reason to hide fabric purchases from my husband, but I do rush home to wash it and get it mixed in with my stash before he even knows i've been to the fabric store. :mrgreen:
Truely my husband doesn't care if I spend money on fabric so long as I don't break us doing it. He is glad i'm finding something to do with my time other than watch tv and complain at him about how bad I feel about being out of work. Yes I do still look but I live in Oregon, enough said.
I have to admit though sometimes shopping for fabric is a stress reliever and makes me feel better.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

This is such a funny thread!!! My DH doesn't care though so maybe that's why I'm laughing :)

Truly though, I'm much better at handling finances than he is and he knows I won't go too crazy....... :lol: :lol:
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM

My DH used to make comments but not anymore. I just turned the tables on him. He buys way more of his toys than I do.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I never thought to be concerned if DH saw my purchases or not. I need to ask him if he is concerned that I'm not concerned about it. He'd then get concerned that I thought he was concerned. LOL

We raised teenage girls so he's immune to shopping bags anyway.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 AM

I don't hide my fabric purchases. I only buy when it is a great sale or on an auction. I went last Sat to the sale andall the crafting, sewing stuff was gone so I didn't get anything at all. I was sent to purchase a wheeled weed eater and a 4 wheeler. Neither one was purchased as they went for more than what I was told to stop at. He has way more stuff on the farm than I have of fabric or sewing machines and besides that he sometimes buys stuff for me when he is at an auction and I am not. I have been quite pleasantly surprised by stuff he has bought me and no I don't hide it either. We have been married 39 + years and my kids can deal with our hobbies when we are gone. DH collects brass animals, etc, and horse drawn cast iron items. His stuff is more costly than mine will ever be. I don't think it should make any difference what you do with it as long as you don't break the bank. I know a lot of people who smoke, drink, carouse around, gamble--lose a lot of money and we don't do any of that so we are entitled to what we want. Just me of course, I know there are others who have a different mindset. BTW, I raised 4 wonderful daughters and none of them hide anything either.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
I just don't get it! When I was in my 20's I was in a Sunday school class with women who were talking about hiding newly purchased clothing from their husbands. Now that I'm in my middle 70's, I am online reading that women are hiding fabric purchases from their husbands.

Am I the only one who knows women fought and died to get the right to vote and that women are fighting and dying in our armed forces in the Middle East and other places? That the majority of American women work outside their homes and that in addition to their paychecks, provide at least half the family wealth by the work they do at home?

And a bunch of you are hiding fabric purchases from your husband?

No wonder so many women choose to remain single! froggyintexas
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Does he hide his golf store purchases? Or, even more, the expense of playing golf? I'm in the club of "you have your hobby and he has his". We all know that professional therapy would be way more expensive and this hobby makes us happy and involved in life.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 AM

Does he hide his golf store purchases? Or, even more, the expense of playing golf? I'm in the club of "you have your hobby and he has his". We all know that professional therapy would be way more expensive and this hobby makes us happy and involved in life.