Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How could he??? >

How could he???

How could he???

Old 04-26-2016, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

I agree the scissors are not worth making the SIL or anyone feel bad about using but I don't understand being the victim and having to wait and hope to get a new pair. Buy a new pair or two and call it a day. Gighers are not that expensive either. They use to be, but not anymore. I put my heavy pair of Ginghers in the kitchen drawer, I like the newer ones better, they are lighter and sharper and inexpensive.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I agree the scissors are not worth making the SIL or anyone feel bad about using but I don't understand being the victim and having to wait and hope to get a new pair. Buy a new pair or two and call it a day. Gighers are not that expensive either. They use to be, but not anymore. I put my heavy pair of Ginghers in the kitchen drawer, I like the newer ones better, they are lighter and sharper and inexpensive.
Well said.
All my shears I use for sewing are all metal. The ones with plastic or rubber handles are for everyday use, problem solved.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
IMO, it's more about respecting others and their stuff than anything else. Using tools that you aren't supposed to use when there are ones designated to be used, shows lack of respect. Why not have SIL buy a new pair? Maybe having to buy new scissors now is not in the budget for her? I see nothing wrong with having him replace them. If I ruined something that belonged to someone else, I would have volunteered to replace it. It was my responsibility their property was ruined so it's my responsibility to make that good.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
My question - is he still alive?
Yes, but only because he had been such a wonderful help getting us settled in our new home.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:59 PM

I did let DH know that he used the wrong scissors and DD (who was sitting by the sewing stuff -- it hard when you have to work in the kitchen or dining room because the sewing room is too small) let him have it too. I hope they will replace them, but am holding Christmas in reserve. He said the scissors really cut the plastic ties effortlessly (sigh), but I do think they are out of torque now as well as dull.

He cut the plastic strips so he could move the deck railing (because it is in cardboard) under the eves since it was going to rain. He is not building the deck, but he helps sooo much that I did not want to make too much fuss so I let off steam here. You folks all said the things I was thinking -- murder she wrote....
Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 PM

I doubt it if using them one time like that would harm then
Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
Oh my goodness folks... they are JUST scissors!

Nothing but nothing is worth having a hassle with my son in law over a $20 - $25 item.

I've used some things inappropriately in life and now so has he. We learn and maybe make the same mistake again but it is not earth scattering event in my opinion.

I've never understood the drama this repeatedly seems to cause. There are scissors in our house that cost lots of money and if they got ruined I'd be sad but not wanting to call out a lynching mob.

Hopefully you explained (possibly even for a 3rd or 4th time) about scissors, got an apology and hopefully he will replace them. If he was cutting decking material, was he there doing you a favor that would have cost you money if someone else did it? If your "good" scissors were "out" and not where he was use to seeing them, could he have thought they were the "everyday" scissors since he doesn't use/see them all the time?

Take a breath...there are far worse things in life.

Off my soapbox and back to the grindstone.

My thoughts exactly! If my SIL was replacing a deck for me (which will need to be done and we are prepared to pay a couple of thousand for someone to do this), while I wouldn't be happy about the loss of the scissors, I hope I wouldn't be freaking about it either!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 AM

Question? was he cutting ties for decking on a job he's doing for you and your husband? What I'm trying to get at is... I would have to go easy on him if he was doing a big job at my home (that might be saving me the of cost of a carpenter) and I suspect most guys don't know the difference between KB scissors and regular scissors. (sigh)

I'm very sorry that they are ruined and I'll bet he now knows the difference...
Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 AM

I "personalized" my favorite pairs of scissors with dots of red nail polish on the handles. DH knows these are MINE--don't even think about using them! Also helps to keep them sorted out when sewing with friends.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 AM
pal

FAGEDDABOUDIT. Go buy a new pair of scissors, label them, and hide them. Then make him a gift of your old scissors. Done.